PDA

View Full Version : 2007 a3 tdi (170) rough first start / fan on before warm / turbo issue

Kennyrae
04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi
im new to this and not particularly technical so here goes! I love my a3 but I seem to have a few niggly issues which are causing me to fall out of love with this car!!!!!

The car is rough as old boots when starting first time in the morning! Once car is warm it starts okay on subsequent start ups.

I was experiencing regular limp mode and local garage cleaned out the egr which showed an improvement.......but I do hear regular "whirring" noise which according to one mechanic is most likely coming from the turbo. I do also think there is an excessive whistle coming from the turbo - I'd expect to hear it but it seems more prominent than I'd expect. The mechanic who did the egr said the turbo was spinning freely however so said it was all fine! The same mechanic checked hoses and connections and also said inter cooler looked fine. I've flushed various additives claiming to clean the turbo through it but still experience this whirring noise occasionally which when at its worst eventually seems to result in limp mode.

another thing is that I notice the fan seems to be on soon after starting and when engine isn't warm - seems odd. It doesn't stay on after switching ignition off (seen problems with this).

ive done the timing belt recently which I thought may fix the rough start. It did actually seem better for a couple of days but back to rough start now.

Any any help would be greatly appreciated!

As i as I say I love the car when it's at its best - it's the 170 bhp version and is great to drive when at its best. But this is driving me mad!!! The rough start......the loud whistle and whirring from the turbo and limp mode and then fan seemingly on when engine cold!?! Any thoughts?? Could they be linked?!?!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!