PDA

View Full Version : Question Put 5 litres of oil in my Audi A4 TDI, worried I've done serious damage, please help!

S34mus
02-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Hi, I know I'm an idiot so please don't feel the need to tell me 😔. My 2010 A4 told me to stop the car and fill with oil immediately. I went to the local motor store and told them I needed some good oil to refill. They sold me 5ltrs. I went back to the car and without knowing what harm I was doing emptied the whole 5ltrs into the engine.

Later that day I went to take the car for a short drive and the digital oil reader still didn't recognise the refill. After a total of 15/20 minutes driving I accelerated in 2nd (turbo kicked in) shitfted to the 3rd and the car lost power before the turbo took effect. Next thing, a whole load of smoke poured from the rear of the car. The revs started to increase on their own and then dropped back to idle. I was literally around the corner from home so drove very slowly and parked it up.

I've since drained 4 ltrs from the sump and had the AA tow it to a garage. It starts fine and sounds ok but I can tell its low on power. Their is also oil coming from the exhaust.

Start of a bad holiday as I was trying to get the car ready to take my family to Wales tomorrow for the week! Their should be a book provided with oil for dummies!

Please if anyone can let me know what sort of situation im in and what sort of bill I can expect from the mechanic I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Seamus

zollaf
02-08-2015, 07:47 PM
you have probably broken your turbo by the sounds of it. i would hire a car for your welsh trip. its bl00dy lush here so it is... :)

S34mus
02-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Lol - thanks I hope it's just the turbo! I'll try to forget about the car for a week and enjoy Wales :)

Doctle Odd
02-08-2015, 09:58 PM
It's still going to cost many hundreds to sort, enjoy the valleys!

Crasher
02-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Get it code read before you panic. The revs running away were a close call, it could have gone into full diesel runaway which is almost impossible to stop until the engine locks up. When the oil warning came on, was it the yellow or red warning?

S34mus
02-08-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm fortunate to have a friend that rebuilds and repairs turbos, so if it is the case I'm hoping it might save me a little bit of cash :-/

S34mus
02-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Hi Crasher, the warning light was on red when I refilled it.

S34mus
02-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Also the AA came out and they hooked up their code reader but nothing came up. Looks like it's just in limp mode. Is that a good sign?

Crasher
02-08-2015, 10:40 PM
The red light worries me, that means low pressure not low level. You could have three hundred litres of oil sitting in a tray under the engine but if the oil pump is not sucking it up and pumping it around the engine, no amount of oil you can buy would be of any use. by the way, stay away from the Welsh of the Wales, full off odd people who refuse to speak the Queens English properly....

Doctle Odd
02-08-2015, 10:46 PM
Picking leeks all <removed> morning, boyo!

zollaf
02-08-2015, 10:48 PM
you baaaaaaaaaaaaa stads

Shab2015
02-08-2015, 10:52 PM
I suspect at a minimum the turbo needs taking off and inspecting.
If oil has got past the turbo into exhaust then the seals will have had it.
I also reckon it will begin to burn more oil now through the seals.
The oil in the exhaust will also need cleaning and maybe even the dpf.

When the oil light comes on then it will be at minimum. On average it will be 1 litre between min and max so therefore you overfilled by 4 litres. Thats alot of oil and just like the turbo seals others maybe be leaking now so a good inspection will be needed.

Good luck and keep us posted

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Doctle Odd
02-08-2015, 10:52 PM
And watch out for the <removed> ambulamance, and the swearing. Didn't it, couldn't it, isn't it, wasn't it, boyo.

Doctle Odd
02-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Years ago I worked with a chap from the Mumbles. for the first week the only thing I could pick up was swear words, boyo and fags.

S34mus
02-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Cheers boyo's! The cars parked at a garage awaiting inspection. The red light came on after I failed to refil whilst it was on yellow. From driving an Audi, I've now got a tiny little c3 to get us to Wales! Feeling a bit 'sheepish' ;-)

Doctle Odd
02-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Cheers boyo's! The cars parked at a garage awaiting inspection. The red light came on after I failed to refil whilst it was on yellow. From driving an Audi, I've now got a tiny little c3 to get us to Wales! Feeling a bit 'sheepish' ;-)

Don't blame yourself about the gallon of oil, you probably wrecked the engine driving before you added it anyway, C3? Jesus a French car as a loaner, that's a good run of bad luck mate

S34mus
02-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Haha, beggars can't be choosers! Why would the engine be wrecked before adding oil Doc?
Literally filled it within about a mile of the red oil light appearing. Surely there was still oil lubricating the engine at that point?

Doctle Odd
02-08-2015, 11:15 PM
The orange light is a low oil warning, it's giving you notice that you need to add oil. I would coast to a stop if that light came on in my car, as soon as the red light flickers that means low oil pressure and as the low oil level light was showing you have a fair idea it's a leak and not the oil pump. You may still be lucky but driving a car, especially a high compression diesel with no oil pressure seldom ends up well

Crasher
03-08-2015, 09:18 AM
The red light is universally known in the trade as the "Idiot Light", i.e. if it comes on whilst the engine is running you are an ........... With the red light on and the engine running, you are seconds away from engine damage.

S34mus
04-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Made it to Wales..........in my Audi!! Got a phone call from the mechanic 10am yesterday saying that my lucks changed and the cars fixed. Cleaned the turbo pipes, replaced the filter drained the oil and put the CORRECT amount in also had my front brake pads replaced and topped up washers etc. £200.00 and a few sheep later I'm sitting in the caravan looking out at the car thanking my lucky stars :-)

Shab2015
04-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Good result mate. Next time keep an eye on the oil level. I check mine regular.

Now enjoy your holiday ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

S34mus
04-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Cheers Shab, I will do :-)

Crasher
04-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I'm sitting in the caravan looking out at the car thanking my lucky stars :-)

In a caravan, in Wales, that's punishment not a holiday!

zollaf
04-08-2015, 11:57 AM
awful weather today as well, its raining sheeps and hogs.

Doctle Odd
04-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Mrs Odd wants to buy a caravan we went to see one yesterday, very strange people selling it, they seemed sad to be selling it and I was happy because I didn't buy it

S34mus
04-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Got pulled over by the Welsh police.
The policeman said "going a bit fast there aren't we boyo?"
"I suppose so" I replied.
"What would you have done if Mr Fog would have appeared?" he asked
"Well, I suppose I'd take my foot off Mr accelerator and put it on Mr Brake"
"Don't get smart with me laddy" he snarled
"I'm not, you started it calling it Mr Fog"

With a very stern look he exclaimed, "I asked you what would you do if MIST or FOG appeared!!!"

Whoops

Crasher
04-08-2015, 03:55 PM
sheeps

You'll be needing your wellies then, hay, nudge nudge wink wink....:naughty:

zollaf
04-08-2015, 03:56 PM
green wellies.

zollaf
04-08-2015, 03:57 PM
did you know that it was a welshman who invented the condom by using a sheeps bladder. an englishman improved it by removing it from the sheep first.

Crasher
04-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Thats enough taking the Michael out of poor Welshies for one thread......now....any Jocks about on here....:outtahere

Doctle Odd
04-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Only (seven asterisks) hot dogs it is!

touranasurus
18-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Hi. Have seen this before. Don't worry about it. It would of blown the front and rear crank oil seals out immediately. Would say you have gotta way it. Needs a good run to sort it out. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk