PDA

View Full Version : HID xenon headlight conversion on 2011 passat

icemen
26-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Hi

I have 2011 Passat with standard reflector headlights. I wanted to upgrade the lights to xenon. I have been checking the conversion kits and have come across HIDS4U, they manufacture their own lights kits and seem to be the best on the UK market? does anyone know of them or anyone better? only issue I got they don't install them, they say they are plug and play but I don't want to be messing with the electrics and the engine bay looks a bit cramped. I have a had a look at some guides on the net and it looks quite complex as you have to cut holes in the light holder and soulder wires and all sorts. Does anyone know a good garage that can do it for me in west mids area?
Or shall I go for a full headlight replacement, any ideas???

All help is appreciated

thanks
Ice

zollaf
26-07-2015, 11:51 PM
don't forget that to stay legal you also need headlight washers and self levelling lights or suspension. if you don't already have these then doing the lights is the cheap and easy bit.

M1tchy
26-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Get the full headlight conversion. You also need a self levelling system and headlight washers. If you don't, you will be one of the many prats blinding everyone with their new blue lights.

Try Osram nightbreakers to stay legal and get much better light output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icemen
27-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Shall I go for original headlights or aftermarket if I go for the full headlight conversation?
Sounds really expensive route, does anyone know of any good aftermarket Passat headlight dealers?

If I go for the HID conversion I don't want to get any higher then 6000k bulbs and HIDS4U got these new lights for reflector headlights that apparently don't blind oncoming traffic?

thanks
Ice

cattytown
03-09-2015, 05:20 PM
As has been said, go for nightbreakers. Much better value for money. If you fit HIDs you need to make sure you have levelling and washers. I can't find the reference, but I did see a government website that said they considered self-levelling suspension adequate, rather than needing headlight levelling as well.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http:/assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

Paul.