PDA

View Full Version : Need help with adjusting steering assist level on GTI

Perpetuus
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I have been trying desperately to adjust the steering assist of my Mk5 GTI using VAGCOM, but found out that this feature is locked out on the 2007 models. Now, does anyone know of a way to get adjust the steering assist with another method? (perhaps using another channel that I don't know about, or an indirect method that involves tinkering with the components themselves).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ray_diophile
14-04-2008, 09:19 PM
I've got the same problem with my 2007 GTI: symptoms are that at speed I have to keep making adjustments (left and right) to keep the car going in a straight line. It's been into the dealers, who can't find anything wrong. Sounds like you can adjust the steering weight on earlier models, but not on the newer cars. I've tried over inflating the tyres which seems to help a bit, but the problem is still there. Has anyone else had the same issue and/or found a solution?

Perpetuus
15-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I've been to the dealer since I posted this, and their answer was somewhere along the lines of liability problems. I don't know if that means they can fix it with their equipment, but are not willing to.

I should mention that my car has shorter springs (almost the same height as the european spec springs; about 0.2 inches lower), and that has improved the problem slightly, but not enough still.

Right now I am wondering if adding toe-in to the front wheels or buying a limited slip diff (an eventual upgrade) would help. :(

ray_diophile
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I took my car into the dealer (for the second time) and after reading many different forums, thought the steering problem may be the wheel alignment. The dealer eventually agreed to do a wheel alignment check. Turns out the alignment on the nearside back wheel was slightly out (about 0.1). The engineer realigned it and now the steering runs straight.