PDA

View Full Version : Question Time to get a dashcam fitted

hshah
21-07-2015, 10:27 PM
After a guy got out of his van and tried to open my doors and punching the window whilst shouting abuse (all for cutting me off at the roundabout), I think it is about time I invest in a dashcam. If you guys want to see details, I have posted it here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100879842745494

I would like to get it wired into the car but don't have the technical expertise for this so are there any company in the London area that would fit it for me to my A6 (MY2015)?

Doctle Odd
21-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Are you sure he's not a Jehovah s witness?

hshah
21-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Are you sure he's not a Jehovah s witness?

If I had thought he was, I would have definitely got out and knocked some sense into him. At the time I was more worried about my car because I've only had it for a few weeks!

Doctle Odd
21-07-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm just trying to find a rational explanation. The only other thing I can think is that his name is Opportunity and he's simply knocking? The other explanation I have is that he's a violent, aggressive, maladjusted mis-content that needs a swift boot on the nuts

Chesterfield313
21-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Nice 1990's haircut. Sit down next to me.......

Doctle Odd
21-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Nice 1990's haircut. Sit down next to me.......

A Nick Lowe clone!

Lyons
21-07-2015, 11:20 PM
I'd be keen to hear if anyone has fitted 1 themselves. I've 1 sitting here to fit. From previous experience the hardest bit is removing trim, there's really nothing too the wiring, once you've found a switched live.

chesterfield
22-07-2015, 12:15 AM
I've fitted them before, just not got round to putting one in the audi yet. They are fairly straight forward, and aside from finding the relevant switched live, it's dealing with trim bits that is the difficult part.

However it wouldn't have helped me in that situation, as looking how scrawny the idiot is, I'd have probably stepped out amd spread his claret all over my windscreen. Then again these days you don't know what they could be carrying, so best to sit tight.

MarkTM
22-07-2015, 09:24 AM
While the dashcam would have caught the motor incident as forward/rear facing you'd still have need to take a manual pic from the side of the threatening behavior exhibited.

wildbore
22-07-2015, 12:58 PM
I would like to get it wired into the car but don't have the technical expertise for this so are there any company in the London area that would fit it for me to my A6 (MY2015)?

I am going to fit a blackvue 650 (front and rear cameras) when I get round to it - but probably not until I have been pranged by a car coming the opposite way on the wrong side of the road; my motto is always "bolt the stable door after the horse has bolted".

The website Welcome to BlackVue (www.blackvue.co.uk) offers a nationwide fitting service.

chesterfield
22-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Would be interesting to see if Blackburn have resolved the issue of the rear camera power cable interfering with dab. It's a known issue on them.

wildbore
22-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Would be interesting to see if Blackburn have resolved the issue of the rear camera power cable interfering with dab. It's a known issue on them.

I followed this issue on another thread. The fix is to fit ferrite cores to the cable that runs from the back camera to the front. In addition, my understanding is that the DAB aerial is on the rear side windows of the Avant, rather than the rear screen, so it shouldn't be such an issue.

As soon as somebody does some damage to my car, I will fit one and let you know how I get on.

wildbore
24-08-2015, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=wildbore;970409]I am going to fit a blackvue 650 (front and rear cameras) when I get round to it - but probably not until I have been pranged by a car coming the opposite way on the wrong side of the road; my motto is always "bolt the stable door after the horse has bolted".

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

Why did I write this?

Last Friday evening, I finally got around to ordering a Blackvue camera.

Yesterday, my lovely RS6 was banged in the rear three-quarter by one of those "See the sights" buses in London. Drive swears I cut him up. Damaged my rear wheel, wing and bumper. The good news is that the dash camera arrives tomorrow. Gotta love irony.

Scott K
24-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear that. Bloody horrible. No witnesses for the accidents?

wildbore
24-08-2015, 09:10 PM
I went on the bus and asked if anyone saw the incident but nobody spoke a word of English...! The bus has cameras so I am waiting for them to provide me with their footage.

Lyons
25-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Has anyone fitted one of these themselves yet?

Tabletski
25-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Yes, now fitted 2, a cheapo eBay job at £12, I just used the cig lighter socket to suction mount on the screen. It was a pain finding the right place for it, but after a few tries got it up to the right of the screen just where the sun visor would cover the screen. It worked ok footage was a bit hit and miss, in good weather video was excellent, rain and darkness almost useless. Now have a transcend pro installed, 1080 HD video, very good results. I'm happy with it so far. I just pushed the wire into the rubbers round the screen that easily concealed the wire and it's easy to remove, I ran a wire to the fuse box with a piggy back fuse kit £2.99 from Amazon. You can only see the wire when the door is open and the power plug hanging down behind the mirror, I'm sure there is a better route for the wire but that looked like removing a part of the dash. Again the exact site was a pain, as fitting behind the mirror altered the light sensor for the mirror. Anywhere else it was too much in the way or too difficult to adjust the menus. Give it a try with the wire to a suction mount and cig lighter socket, find the place you like, considering the menu operation and video result. Also, take into account you cannot have it in the wiper wiped section on the drivers side. Then when happy, wire it in. If you are not confident with this an auto electrician will do it for you, probably only charge an hour labour as it does not take long when you have it in a place you like.

JannerAudi
25-08-2015, 10:57 AM
similar situation to wildbore :-
Been looking at dash cams on and off for a few weeks but didn't get around to ordering one. Went on holiday last week and someone reversed into me in a virtually empty car park. Now ordered a Garmin Dash Cam 20 HD from Amazon. Its a plug in type and not wired into the car but reviews are quite good. The words Horse, Stable, Bolted spring to mind !!

Rob69
25-08-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm just trying to find a rational explanation. The only other thing I can think is that his name is Opportunity and he's simply knocking? The other explanation I have is that he's a violent, aggressive, maladjusted mis-content that needs a swift boot on the nuts

There's at least one of them driving round Aberdeen, in a black focus when he attacked my missus and kids earlier this year ! And the turd broke the door mirror glass.

DB22
25-08-2015, 02:50 PM
But the A6 comes with cameras all around so we need a genius to multiplex their output to an HDD. Most of what we need already exists so if Audi was smart they would incorporate the hardware to a system, market it it as the first manufacturer to offer camera security systems, charge a fortune for it and become famous:D

Whippy53
25-08-2015, 04:45 PM
OK you! When do we get an update on Winston?

pxr5
25-08-2015, 07:32 PM
I wonder why dash cams are not factory fitted?

Lyons
25-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Yes, now fitted 2, a cheapo eBay job at £12, I just used the cig lighter socket to suction mount on the screen. It was a pain finding the right place for it, but after a few tries got it up to the right of the screen just where the sun visor would cover the screen. It worked ok footage was a bit hit and miss, in good weather video was excellent, rain and darkness almost useless. Now have a transcend pro installed, 1080 HD video, very good results. I'm happy with it so far. I just pushed the wire into the rubbers round the screen that easily concealed the wire and it's easy to remove, I ran a wire to the fuse box with a piggy back fuse kit £2.99 from Amazon. You can only see the wire when the door is open and the power plug hanging down behind the mirror, I'm sure there is a better route for the wire but that looked like removing a part of the dash. Again the exact site was a pain, as fitting behind the mirror altered the light sensor for the mirror. Anywhere else it was too much in the way or too difficult to adjust the menus. Give it a try with the wire to a suction mount and cig lighter socket, find the place you like, considering the menu operation and video result. Also, take into account you cannot have it in the wiper wiped section on the drivers side. Then when happy, wire it in. If you are not confident with this an auto electrician will do it for you, probably only charge an hour labour as it does not take long when you have it in a place you like.

What fuse slot did you use?

Nemo78
26-08-2015, 11:00 PM
I have (when I remember) a Transcend fitted in the car (DrivePro 200) very happy with it and quality of picture.

Only issue is its too big and therefore I need to remove it and can't leave it on as its visible - hence its on when I remember.

Wiring isn't hard wired but have run the wire above passenger sun visor, pushed between window trim (fits nicely and hides away nicely) and run it down passenger side to footwell. From here I've run it under the mat (avoids trip hazard when getting in and out of car) and in to the 12v socket inside the armrest.

Looks fine as wire hardly noticeable.

chesterfield
27-08-2015, 07:13 AM

Because you can bet insurance companies would then require them to be in working order and request the footage of any crash.

Handy if somebody else is at fault, when it's the dash cam owner at fault they probably aren't as quick to declare they have one.

I'm sure they will become mandatory at some point, along with trackers. After all why bother with speed cameras if we can have every single car reporting speeding offences and taking footage of the event to the police?

It's not beyond human capabilities to have a car detect it is travelling over the speed limit and use a built in sim to send a video clip and alert to the police. So it's coming...

Holymoly
27-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Would probably be seen as an abuse of personal privacy or some such ********.

fest0r
27-08-2015, 10:06 AM
I’m not sure how popular they are with the general public here. The main reason they are widespread in Russia is to combat roadside police corruption and insurance fraud etc. With an estimate of 1 million dash cam users and roughly 45 million cars it’s still only just over 2% of motorists.

There are also privacy laws and regional legislation issues. In Austria and Switzerland they are illegal and with UK data protection they could be outlawed quite quickly depending how the media receives it. It could also go the other way and I certainly don’t want a prosecuted because my factory fitted dash cam wasn’t working and/or serviced properly. I’m happy with my cams being for my benefit and on my terms.

It would be nice to have a factory option, but with such a small market I think it would be ridiculously expensive. Look how much more you still pay for adding a factory sat nav option even with huge competition from smartphone apps and dedicated units.

DB22
27-08-2015, 12:41 PM
My A6 already has all the cameras, it now needs a mux chip, a SSD and an interface to the MMI (a few lines of code). If the additional requirements cost more than $25 then you went to the wrong store.

fest0r
27-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Do you mean the cost to Audi or the end user? Remember to add in the R&D and usability studies for the feature. It then it has to pass through the legal department to update T&C and user agreements for legal mitigation then on to governmental/state testing and approval.

Then add in dealer retail margin and warranty provision costs. At least that’s what they will tell you when you ask why it costs £600 :biglaugh: The TV option where almost everything is already in place (except for the tuner unit) cost £800 and after a quick look it seems it’s been dropped from the options list for the FL.

GrolschUK
27-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Do you mean the cost to Audi or the end user? Remember to add in the R&D and usability studies for the feature. It then it has to pass through the legal department to update T&C and user agreements for legal mitigation then on to governmental/state testing and approval.

Then add in dealer retail margin and warranty provision costs. At least that’s what they will tell you when you ask why it costs £600 :biglaugh: The TV option where almost everything is already in place (except for the tuner unit) cost £800 and after a quick look it seems it’s been dropped from the options list for the FL.

It is still there, but only part of the Entertainment Pack, which is the TV + Rear Seat Entertainment @ 2k + Tech Pack...
So even more reason to opt in to it :)

DB22
27-08-2015, 06:34 PM

I understand but an extra $1000 to the highest end package would sell just fine. If they cannot keep it under that price then then keep firing the lawyers until it is.