PDA

View Full Version : front tyre wear

ian.roger.smart
21-07-2015, 07:57 AM
hi, I purchased a used 2013 b7 estate from a vw dealer a few days ago and having spent too long last night, waiting for the AA, stuck on the side of the motorway because a plastic undertray partly fell off. I am now wondering about what may have happened to the car in the past.

one thing that has been bothering me is that the car has allegedly covered 20k miles and yet there are replacement khumo tyres on the front with about 4 to 5 mm tread.

This suggests to me that they could have been replaced at about 15k miles and begs the question... is this normal? or has it had a hard life and should I return it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zollaf
21-07-2015, 09:33 AM
i got through a pair of front tyres in a golf in 8k miles once, 15 k is good. depends how its been driven and where. stick to a motorway and they will last longer, drive through milton keynes everyday and you can half their life. i don't think having had tyres is a reason to return a car though, maybe it was stolen and the police stopped it with a stinger ??

ian.roger.smart
21-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Thanks, as you say this may not be a big problem. As I've not worn out tyres so quickly I was speculating if maybe there had been some other cause relating to the underbody damage as well. I also noticed that one of the rear suspension arms has been knocked.

there is a no quibble return policy so there comes a point when it's not worth the hassle fixing things. I don't know if this is that point.

zollaf
21-07-2015, 09:54 AM
accident damage will normally show as tyres that don't wear evenly. how has this suspension arm been knocked, that may change things a bit. is it bent, damaged etc... obviously being vw approved they will have gone over it with a paint thickness checker device to make sure its not been sprayed, or if it has its been done properly, so you wouldn't have a problem if you had to claim under warranty, or have they ?

ian.roger.smart
21-07-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't know enough to determine if the damage is significant. it mainly looked like most of the paint had been scraped off. The rear tyre did have uneven wear so they agreed to check the alignment.

I'm not sure if they checked for resprays, is it part of VW's used car check?

zollaf
21-07-2015, 10:17 AM
if not, it should be, because if you get any rust coming through and want it repaired under the 12 year warranty, its the first thing they will check, and not pay out if its been resprayed incorrectly.