PDA

View Full Version : Steering noise

Lyons
19-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Folks, apologies for the influx of threads of late! We just picked the car up on Friday so it's all still new to me. This is the last 1 for a while, I promise!

Potentially a ridiculous question, but when turning the wheel to just short of full lock and moving there is a grumbling noise. It's not a cv joint or bushing type noise, but more like a power steering related grumble. Is it normal? It's louder than any other car I've had. I can sort of feel it through the car too.

micheal balbrig
19-07-2015, 02:04 PM
First thing to check is the power steering fluid level and colour of fluid.
If the level is low check for oil leak at rubber bellows on steering arms.
The noise is not normal.

Lyons
19-07-2015, 03:32 PM
I got it from Audi so there's an approved warranty on it, I just wanted to check if I was imagining it or if it wasn't normal.

I'll get it booked in for a look.

I was out again there and the noise only comes on when I pressing the throttle, when you lift off on the same lock there is no noise/vibration.

micheal balbrig
19-07-2015, 04:18 PM
They may also look at operation of altenator pulley when in for inspection

wildbore
19-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Isn't the C7 electric steering? I have never checked. I assumed from the lifelessness in the wheel and the absence of feedback that it was.

wildbore
19-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Isn't the C7 electric steering? I have never checked. I assumed from the lifelessness in the wheel and the absence of feedback that it was.

Answering my own question, maybe: I think it must be, as Lane Assist and self parking both require electric steering, (I think!).

If it is electric, then it might simply be the motor. I do not know what the technical reasoning is, but the motoring correspondent in the Telegraph is always reminding people that cars with electric steering shouldn't be held at full lock - it seems that the motor is then driving the steering against the bump stops, which it doesn't like. Perhaps someone with more knowledge....?

Holymoly
19-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I'd always opt to take it back for the dealer to take a look. I remember when I had a Ford Granada V6 back in the day and felt something similar on my way to work. Nipped it into the dealer and it turned out to be a cracked steering rack that would have been very pricey if it hadn't been under warranty/

Lyons
20-07-2015, 06:31 AM
No problem, thanks guys.

I just didn't want to take it to the dealers only to be told the noise is normal and there's nothing wrong with it! I'll get it booked in this week.