PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 1.8 TFSI Wastegate issue

Jetsetter320
19-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Hello All,

I bought a brand new A3 1.8 TFSI Sline, despite it being a lovely car, we have one major issue.

After about a week, our car developed this awful whistling and rattling noise and when acceleration at revs below 2000 rpm makes this awful noise, sounds like an old 1980s Volvo.

Its been into the dealership several times in the last few months and they are saying its a characteristic of the vehicle and as such we are now returning the car.

Audi have published this bulletin:

Good Afternoon

Please find below the information I have copied from the Audi Bulletin.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………………….
Customer statement / workshop findings
Rattling/whirring noises from the engine compartment/exhaust system between 1600 and 2200 rpm.
Technical background
Because of exhaust gas pulsations the wastegate flap and rods on the turbo charger start to vibrate. These vibrations cause the above noises.
The function of the boost pressure control is not affected.
Production change
---
Measure
A replacement does not fix the problem.
The vibration-related noise is normal.
Therefore repairs cannot be accounted under warranty.
Customer information
Because of exhaust gas pulsations the wastegate flap and rods on the turbo charger start to vibrate. These vibrations cause the above noises.
The function of the boost pressure control is not affected.

According to West London Audi, this issue affects all their 1.8/2.0 litre petrol engines, we are the first ever customers to complain about it and Audi are not looking to fix the issue! It's complete rubbish, the vehicle we test drove didn't have this issue, if it did we would never have bought it. The car sounds awful and is an embarrassment to drive. I'm really not convinced by them and we are currently battling away with them.

I'm just wondering if anyone else with a similar spec or the 1.8/2.0 petrol engine have had this issue sorted?

Brgds,

james

Rusyp
21-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Sorry to hear you troubles, it doesn't sound right to me (no pun intended). I have an 1.8 TFSI since new and mine doesn't make a sound. As the dealer said you are the first, so he surely can't say this is normal.

james_tiger_woo
21-07-2015, 02:41 PM
An engine, especially a new one, should be relatively quiet - Make yourself heard but keep as much correspondence about any car rejection in writing...

kite
21-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Test drive another car at a different dealer to compare.

james_tiger_woo
21-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Test drive another car at a different dealer to compare.

Hell, test another car at the same dealer - Take someone out with you and say "well, where's the noise then"

OW22
01-08-2015, 12:45 PM
This is a well documented issue unfortunately. On another forum S3 owners have scores of posts on this, letter campaigns were launched but Audi will do nothing about it as they say its just a characteristic of the turbo engine and there is no damage being done, don't worry about it!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Max-Power
07-08-2015, 01:01 PM
That would put me off an S3!