PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Paddles and DAB Retrofitting

Lyons
16-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Folks, all being well I'm collecting our '11 3.0 Quattro tomorrow. However despite having the Sport steering wheel fitted there are no paddles present. From my understanding on the brochure they should be fitted to all automatic cars? Basically, is it possible to retrofit a wheel with paddles and code it to get them working? From previous experience I know most VAG cars will work like this, but just wanted to check with the C7.

Next up, DAB. Despite the extensive list of extras the original owner didn't tick the DAB box. I've read with great interest the 2 options; OEM and Fistune, and am intending to opt for Fistune due to the chances my local dealer in N Ireland will not be able to help with regards to the component protection on the OEM box. I know a lot of folk have made reference to the Fistune as an option, but has anyone with MMI 3G Plus actually fitted it? What wiring/connections are needed exactly? I see there is the option for an antenna adapter, I was intending to go for this as I expect it to be better than the windscreen mount aerial. Has anyone fitted it too?

Thanks in advance.

rizo9
16-07-2015, 08:04 PM
I am in the same situation regarding dab. I've just purchased a brand new unit and wiring kit and booster for £467 from eBay. This has everything needed to install and came with full audi retro fit dab instruction from the Audi dealer.

If it's a saloon the antenna will be located on the rear top right of the rear window behind the D pillar trim. It's easy to remove. On mine I have 2 very short wire tabs to solder onto for the antenna.

To install it you need to remove the side trims in the boot.

If you want and help regarding the installation I am doing it at the weekend so will know more then.

Ill try to upload some pictures during the installation

Lyons
16-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Sounds good! Photos would be great.

Do you have a link to the kit you bought?

rizo9
16-07-2015, 08:10 PM
I'm on mobile at the moment so not sure how the link will work. I rang them they were very helpful. I'll try to do a how-to because online info is very thing or a full guide.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271762442248&globalID=EBAY-GB

Lyons
16-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Flip, that nearly looks too good to be true!

So that's everything you need? And it appears to be the genuine Audi unit too?!

rizo9
16-07-2015, 09:11 PM
That's what I was thinking. All checks out. From an Audi dealer.

Lyons
16-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I sent them an email there.

Is the unit new? No component protection to worry about then?

I'd much rather have the OEM option for the FM/DAB auto switching.

It works out £160 odd more than the Fistune.

rizo9
16-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Yeah brand new. Not installed yet.

Be worth removing the right side d pillar to check you've got the antenna terminals.

johnsimcox
16-07-2015, 09:56 PM
That's what I was thinking. All checks out. From an Audi dealer.

Be careful. Everything I have read in the past about retrofitting DAB has said that if you have the HDD navigation then you simply add the DAB Unit but if you the standard RMC navigation you cannot add the unit and to get OEM DAB then you need to replace the whole MMI unit as the DAB part is built in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lyons
16-07-2015, 09:57 PM
It's the HDD I have.

rizo9
16-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Ive got the mmi touch. This unit replaces the unit in the boot.

johnsimcox
16-07-2015, 10:04 PM
It's the HDD I have.

Sorry got it confused with the other post where the poster only had RMC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lyons
16-07-2015, 10:53 PM
How detailed are the instructions? I recall another thread on here where someone discussed the installation process and I lost interest when I read soldering was required!

rizo9
16-07-2015, 10:55 PM
They seem comprehensive. I will take some picture sod the process of the weekend.

Pop the D pillar trim cover off and see if you have anything soldered to the screen already.

JohFol
17-07-2015, 03:22 PM
probably me and my 3G RMC Navigation

Lyons
18-07-2015, 05:58 AM
They seem comprehensive. I will take some picture sod the process of the weekend.

Pop the D pillar trim cover off and see if you have anything soldered to the screen already.

My car is a saloon. Any idea where it would be in it?

Westyfield2
18-07-2015, 07:27 PM
I did it myself last year. Halfway down this page DAB Radio - Retrofit? - Page 2 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/160279-DAB-Radio-Retrofit/page2)
Forgot to take any pictures though.

I'm on mobile at the moment so not sure how the link will work. I rang them they were very helpful. I'll try to do a how-to because online info is very thing or a full guide.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271762442248&globalID=EBAY-GB

That part looks correct to me.

My original non-DAB part was 4G1 035 053 (running software 4G1 035 053 G).
I removed this and fitted DAB part number 4G0 035 061 E.
Since updating the MMI firmware to version 783, the DAB one is now reporting itself on VCDS as 4G0 035 061 N.

Lyons
19-07-2015, 08:49 AM
I'd seen your posts before, very informative. It was just the soldering element that I thought sounded a little tricky.

If this option rizo9 bought is as simple as it sounds, I'll probably go for it.

rizo9
20-07-2015, 10:04 PM
All installed however component protection is active. And my car needs an update booked in at Audi at 1pm tomorrow for coding and update.

The installation was simple however a lot of trim needs to be removed to get access to the radio unit. Not sure if it would come out without removing the trim in the boot.

Soldering onto the wire stubs in the window was easy. Don't get too hot as you don't want to melt the solder that holds it to the screen.

Lyons
21-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Good work!

We're the instructions easy to follow? Did they talk you through all the soldering etc too?

I contacted the seller to enquire about the component protection and was told because it was a new part there wouldn't be any. Might be worth an email?

Lyons
06-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Just to bump this up, has anyone on here actually installed a Fistune unit in their A6? Just keen to hear what the connections and wiring elements of the install are like.

Also, on the steering wheel front, am I right in thinking the buttons can be removed from 1 wheel and installed on another?