PDA

View Full Version : 315 DAB Radio poor reception

Monktopus
15-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

Been driving my 64 plate B7 Passat for about 6 months now and I'm staggered at how poor the DAB radio reception is. Just wondering if that's what they're like or if there's a possibility something's up with the aeriel?

I said to the salesman my two "must haves" were bluetooth and DAB and it feels like it doesn't even have the DAB at times because it drops out so often and for so long. This is a real shame as otherwise the car is great, much better for the motorway miles I do than the S-Line A4 I traded in for it!

Anyone here have a similar experience/solution?

Many thanks,

Alex

Monktopus
17-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Can anyone offer any info re this please?

shudman
27-07-2015, 12:52 PM
I too have the same "issue". Also, the flipping between DAB and FM is highly irritating.
I had a Vectra some years ago (prob about 8 years ago now), and that had DAB....and from memory, that was far more usable that the RNS315. Is it the case of it being the 315 - does the 510 have the same issue ? I hate my 315 - it is utter rubbish...I just don't want to stump up >£500 for a replacement (and certainly not the VW ££££ cost of a 510!).

M1tchy
27-07-2015, 01:01 PM
DAB is a digital transmission using 1s and 0s to convey the data as opposed to modulating the frequency in an analog transmission. Therefore you can't receive a weak digital transmission, you get it or you don't, there is no inbetween. A way of combatting this is the car flicks between DAB and FM where it can to give you a constant reception.

The whole UK analog system is in the process of being switched off and replaced with digital (radio and TV) so there will be black spots and areas that aren't properly covered yet, but in time it should be fully working. We are just in the transitional phase.

I think your car is probably fine but if you wanted to check, you would need a portable DAB radio and see if it drops out in the same places as your car.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shudman
27-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Fully understand to concept of "digital". I think Montopus's point (and mine) that the 315 seems to be very poor at receiving that digital signal - is it a cr&p receiver, or is the DAB aerial hosed/poor ?. Does the 510 have the same [poor reception] issue ? Anyone pipe in ?

27-07-2015, 02:29 PM
On my 315 I found by using VCDS that one of the aerials was disconnected and it seems that this was from new. Might be worth a check.

Monktopus
04-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the reply, M1tchy but I kind of have already tried your suggestion by driving the wife's Suzuki and the father-in-law's Citroen around the same areas. Both of them have a DAB radio and neither have missed a beat (like what I did there?...). This suggests to me that the problem lies with the car and that I need to pay a visit to the dealer I bought it from, just looking for more info from others here before doing so.

32110's suggestion that one of the aeriels is disconnected is interesting, I had no idea there was more than one! Anyone have any further thoughts on that point?

The whole thing is frustrating as I like to listen to Planet Rock, for which there is no FM alternative outside Birmingham, and 5Live, the MW alternative being just as unlistenable being even more fuzzy and quieter than it ever was in my last non-DAB radio-ed car.

Thanks again

Monktopus
18-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Only three of us with this problem? Only three of us with 315 DAB head units in a B7 Passat?!?!

If anyone else has this issue, or has no issues at all please chip in as I'd like a little more info before going back to the dealer which is something I think I'm going to have to do.

Cheers

colinm123456
01-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Hi

I've got a 2014 A3 and although I don't know if it is the same radio model as in the Passat, I'm at the stage now of not bothering with DAB as it's so bad. It has got much worse lately - presumably due to weather conditions - but the dealer has checked and has said it's all working fine. There are even times when FM goes a bit hissy so I can't believe there's nothing wrong.

I had a MK6 Golf before the Audi and despite driving all the same routes as I do today, I *never* had a problem with DAB reception, so I can only assume it's due to the Audi's receiver.

The real proof in the pudding is that I live about 8 miles as the crow flies from the main transmitter in East Anglia (Tacolneston), and at the top of my road I can see the full length of the transmitter. I can drive along the road with the mast in sight, yet as soon as there are trees or buildings blocking it, the DAB reception dies.

During the summer, I've had times when reception has been 100% perfect.

So unless the transmitters are faulty, my only conclusion is that the weather condition affects the signal and the Audi's aerial and receiver just aren't good enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

niall campbell
03-12-2015, 06:52 PM
can you change the radio amp for aerial ?

niall campbell
03-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Please Help Crappy Radio Reception (Audi A4) (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/171531-Crappy-Radio-Reception-(Audi-A4)) Should be roughly in the same area