PDA

View Full Version : User Database Hacked?

@mark
14-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Suddenly this morning I am receiving spam to the unique email address I used only for registration of this form.

In this case a number of phishing attacks

So I know where they got the email address from. HERE!

But the question is how?

Has the user database been hacked or has the user database been sold? :aargh4:

Sam
14-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are looking into this as a matter of urgency.

stuart
14-07-2015, 09:46 AM
I will need to look into this tonight... I can assure everyone we do not sell any database or email address details to anyone..

Over the last few month this site and quite a few others has been subject to idiots trying to log into members accounts, but this would only allow them to see details that are visible to everyone.. THAT IS IF THEY MANAGE TO GET IN! so far that seems secure..

I will check all logs this evening and see if anything shows up.

Stuart

stuart
14-07-2015, 07:58 PM
@mark ... I have just sent you a email ;)

M1tchy
14-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary for me.

Doctle Odd
14-07-2015, 08:33 PM
I'm still only getting emails offering free millions in Nigeria or penis/breast augmentation..

M1tchy
14-07-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm still only getting emails offering free millions in Nigeria or penis/breast augmentation..

Same here, the millions should be in my bank soon and i will use that to pay for my penis enlargement! ;)

Doctle Odd
14-07-2015, 08:37 PM
If I get my millions I might get both, might make me attractive to curious lesbians...

@mark
15-07-2015, 08:36 AM
@mark ... I have just sent you a email ;)

Got it.

I have forwarded over one of them directly to you. As it is obviously a phishing mail, you might want to check your spam folder.

Normally, this type of email would had been blocked by the spam filters for me too however as I mentioned, I use a unique email address each time I register for something like a forum then add that address to a whitelist so it is always allowed through so this time the emails stood out.

stuart
15-07-2015, 08:11 PM
As far as I can see no unusual access to the site or database can be seen from the logs... I have checked the system for strange files, and run a virus/spyware scan, again nothing shows up, so at the minute I have no idea how the email address could be obtained. :(

I will continue to monitor the issue to see if anything does show up, but if anyone gets any email that is odd please let us know so the logs can be checked.

Doctle Odd
15-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Got it.

I have forwarded over one of them directly to you. As it is obviously a phishing mail, you might want to check your spam folder.

Normally, this type of email would had been blocked by the spam filters for me too however as I mentioned, I use a unique email address each time I register for something like a forum then add that address to a whitelist so it is always allowed through so this time the emails stood out.

Did you get the message source?

stuart
15-07-2015, 08:58 PM
All I got was the message pasted into an email, but that may shine some light if you can forward the message in full ;)

It was the one going around saying your Apple account has been compromised.... I have had it a few times.

satsu
06-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Hmmm. I've just had one of these too, also to a unique address only used to sign up for the forum.

Stuart, I've dropped you a note with the message attached.

stuart
06-08-2015, 09:40 PM
I have received the message...

Strange, it is exactly the same message... I will have a look at the logs