PDA

View Full Version : A6 info display and auto dim mirror issues

lauriem
31-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi guys (and gals):beerchug:

Forum newbie so be gentle!

Just bought my first A6 since I gave back my 142k company A6 in 1998. Been a BMW man since, but decided on a change and bought a 1998 2.4 A6 Avant. Generally delighted with the Avant, which is spacious, smooth, and in good nick for its age.

There are only two minor issues which some advice might help. Firstly the in dash information display seems a bit "tired" with the illumination only being bright in the centre of the display, with the edges being much darker, and difficult to read. Can the display be changed or is it integrated with the instrument binnacle.

The other problem is with the auto dimming mirror, which has a darker ellise within the mirror all the time, and on touching the mirror it is warm to the touch. It to probably needs to be replaced, but once again any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Laurie

JohnF
26-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi Laurie - clearly not many ideas about your problems -and I'm afraid I can't help either, but also have A6 and the wing mirror defrosts don't seem to work - and there's a slightly rumbly bearing, I think. You have obviously driven zillions of A6 miles - any trouble with worn bearings? Does anyone else out there know if this is a known fault? It's only round town - noise disappears above 30mph - I think it's one of the fronts....

JohnF

lauriem
05-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi John,

Sounds like a wheel bearing, no big deal, around £40 for the bearing, plus an hour or two to fir, or £50 or £60 at an independant. Graet source of free advice (and cheap parts) is Continental Auto Spares in york (ask for Steve) 01904 617286.

Learning to live with my dodgy mirror and dash displey.

Cheers

Laurie