PDA

View Full Version : New Q7 Silverstone Test Drive

Q7newbie
10-07-2015, 12:41 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else on here has been invited to Silverstone next week for a few hours in the upcoming Q7?
I've spent some time in one in South Africa earlier in the year, but that was a pre-production model and was a generic run, not specifically set up for UK specification.
I'll be interested to hear others initial opinions and points of view.
I get to bring a plus-one, but it's become a war with my Mrs and my brother-in-law (also my best friend) both vying to come!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

M1tchy
15-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Just been invited to this weekends test drive. Got a presentation, on road drive, off road drive then refreshments. Im going with my dad and hopefully it will be a good day.

Q7newbie
15-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Are you slated for Saturday? I'm now going on Friday because the Mrs decided we have "commitments" I HAVE to attend with her on Saturday morning (read: shopping). Lol

M1tchy
15-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Yes I'm going saturday at 0900. Its that or a wedding with the wife! cars, wife, cars, wife - easy decision really!

Q7newbie
15-07-2015, 07:21 PM
😂 😂 😂 well I hope you aren't meant to be the groom at the wedding she's attending?!

M1tchy
15-07-2015, 07:43 PM
na, made that mistake years ago!

Q7newbie
15-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Are you getting the private drive thing where you'll get to drive the car on your own too?
I wonder if we'll be allowed to take pix?

M1tchy
15-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Not sure, I hope so. Fingers crossed we will be allowed a few photos too, its been released so can't see why not.

M1tchy
18-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Well, back from my days test drive and was thoroughly surprised. Ive only ever driven military vehicles off road and obviously on the road too, they are wobbly, have loads of body roll and thought that was the same throughout all high sided 4x4 type vehicles. Turns out I'm wrong (for the first time ever :D)

So, started with a spot of breakfast and a coffee and then up for a "product briefing", this was a 15-20 min chat about the car, technologies and other highlights. As i love my gadgets and tech I knew most of it already but was interesting anyway. It certainly widened my dads eyes as to what is available compared to his prius!

After that we went outside and had 5 mins to play with the tech and gadgets and just get ourselves comfy in the seats before heading off for a short drive to an airfield where we swapped drivers (we were all in groups of two so me and my dad swapped). We then headed back to Silverstone. The drive was fairly uneventful, plenty of poke from the 272 PS engine which i was surprised about given the size of the car. The gadgets are all fairly intuitive (after owning an A7 for nearly 2 years) and the air suspension in comfort mode was incredibly comfy. Someone on another thread mentioned the gearstick and odd layout of the gears, but its just different and was fairly easy to get used to. I did like how the parking brake is on the gearstick and you can press it while in D and it and it takes it out of gear and parks it which is nice. The other gadgets are all standardly good.

Then we stopped at the off road circuit and got into the SE models (road drive was S-Line) and went for the off road circuit. They all had standard optional 20" alloys and standard road tyres so wasn't expecting much (didn't have air suspension either), but they were outstandingly good. They had Hill descent control so on steep hills you take your feet off everything and it takes control for you and slowly lowers you which is odd initially but also very impressive. We had them balanced on just two wheels and rocked the cars back and forth, and had some great angles up, down and side to side.

Then back for lunch and a goodie bag. Very impressed with it and sadly I now want one! Great car and great day out.

Gavin0478
18-07-2015, 06:49 PM
No pictures?

Did you sign up for a new one.

M1tchy
18-07-2015, 06:58 PM
No pictures I'm afraid, got a short video of the cross country section though.

Not signed up for a new one, still got the A7 on finance but looking to change the wifes A5 for a second hand 12 plate one now.

Q7newbie
18-07-2015, 07:45 PM
I was at the same event yesterday, without sounding like a parrot to what mitch said, I too was very pleased and impressed by all the mechanics and technology in the car. For me, the crowning glory is the TFT virtual driver display. It's vivid, programmed with all the best information standardly displayed.

Other areas that impressed were the greatly decreased turning circle due to the All-Wheel Steering.

There has also been a marked improvement in the noise insulation for the cabin, which has always bugged me a bit on this q7 at high speed.

The off road abilities were indeed impressive.

I still don't like the layout of the gear stick and touch pad. And as a matter of preference, I also don't like the Park button that's been mounted on the gear lever itself which leaves the R (reverse) as the top slot (where Park previously was). But that's just me.

Having seen it in the flesh again, in its finished UK spec, I still don't like the exterior. There's just too little "presence". The silver bits on the grille and door sides with Quattro embossed on them is just a bit too tacky for my liking.

The biggest bugbear though, is the number of things on the car that are EXPENSIVE optional extras. Extras in fact that are standard on this generation car: eg. Air Suspension being a glaring one that stands out.

Below are a few shots.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/2291f241381f782f56213679527e1cc3.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/bd36b8c5e251c3fec381eb4a02cd4cc6.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/99d4885c8d2b7a497c472ad7d12d53c5.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/5f0c9cb26e491fb951407a8afe76f9d8.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/419d2e02700cd3d3009b005c5611efc7.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/5312f61ced14e548178ff3310426a45a.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/f563f1cbe551af19e2cb107f269068d2.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/b9de5ad70bf46a78d985fc67a1e79a9b.jpg

M1tchy
18-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Just to add a few bits I forgot, I agree the digital dash is incredible and the cabin noise was next to nil, very impressive with wheels that size! Also agree on the options list, it can be insane when you start ticking away!

Have to disagree on looks though, I think it looks meaty and aggressive in the flesh but a lot tamer online - just a matter of opinion I suppose though. All in all a good day out and a lovely car though.

Nemo78
20-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Just got back from this - really enjoyed the the couple of hours. Off road was great fun as let's be honest most of us will never do that with our own cars!

Thoughts are the car does look better in the flesh than online pics.
The side guard on the doors - not really liking those.
The new front grille again not the greatest thing but the only real two flaws for me. Do wonder if they will bring out a black edition at some point.

For me the drive felt nicer than the XC90 and it just felt a really comfortable place to be.

Interior is great, great tech on the cars, did allow the car to do its own thing on the dual carriageway with the steering (traffic jam assist) and adaptive cruise.

Need to now relook at spec and see what the bottom line cost to change is. Did pop in to dealers on the way home and he did say there was now a delay on some of the 20inch wheels...

Oh the park button strange but get used to it easily...the one thing I didn't try and should've was reverse parking as it is still a big car [emoji5]️

Couple of pics not captured above (I don't think)

Nemo78
20-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Here's one of the balancing act...28365

fusion1966
23-07-2015, 11:20 PM
I've been on the experience day too.

id say the one thing that surprised me was the major difference in luxury feeling between in cabin of the S line versus SE. Seems more than a few grand difference when you are sitting in the drivers seat, especially with the virtual cockpit and leather seats etc

all in all I really loved the new version and I reckon it's a grower. Confirmed I made a good decision going for the S Line with a few optional extras.

the one thing I think will help the looks will be the addition of dealer fit running boards but I don't think they will be available at launch and according to my Audi contact the old versions won't fit