PDA

View Full Version : do i need to remove dpf before doing a remap?

bizzleb109
10-07-2015, 02:56 AM
Hi I have a 2005 audi a6 3.0tdi quattro I'm thinking of doing a remap but need to know if I need to remove the dpf first and what are the advantages of removing a dpf?

Gazwould
10-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Yes, remove prior , no dpf shenanigans and it's a restrictive blockage.

MarkTM
10-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Bizzle, you've posted in the wrong section of the forum as you have a C6 not a C7.

DPF's can be hollowed out but removal will be an MOT fail, even hollowed out your car will probably easily pass emissions tests

Also defo consider a EGR delete, the blanking plate can be purchased for small ££'s off ebay and you can fit it yourself whilst their are doing the map. Most tuners will charge £20-50 extra for EGR delete on top of the remap, whereas doing it yourself for £10 will save you that premium.

Yes worth doing at the same time otherwise you'll face a fee if you have to do it later as the EGR/DPF delete needs to be mapped out so that you won't get an EML error message.

Doctle Odd
10-07-2015, 07:27 AM
DPF removal has the considerable disadvantage of being illegal and an MOT failure. It's also quite expensive to reinstate. EGR can be blanked but is likely to cause an engine management light to come on unless you have it mapped out

Tripletrouble
10-07-2015, 08:09 AM
DPF removal has the considerable disadvantage of being illegal and an MOT failure. It's also quite expensive to reinstate. EGR can be blanked but is likely to cause an engine management light to come on unless you have it mapped out
It won't fail if you cut the guts out by opening it up from the top after removing it.
Weld a plate back on and re-fit. The only person that will know is you. It won't fail the emissions at MOT time either.
Illegal? I'd love to know how plod will stop you and check.

Doctle Odd
10-07-2015, 08:23 AM
It won't fail if you cut the guts out by opening it up from the top after removing it.
Weld a plate back on and re-fit. The only person that will know is you. It won't fail the emissions at MOT time either.

Have a look on this site for the regs on DPF removal. You can't be encouraging people to break the law, perhaps "plod" can't detect DPF removal yet, but the ability is coming. Obviously if the OP acts on your advice to "gut" the DPF you'd be prepared to cover the cost of a new DPF system when he's nabbed?

Chesterfield313
10-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Have a look on this site for the regs on DPF removal. You can't be encouraging people to break the law, perhaps "plod" can't detect DPF removal yet, but the ability is coming. Obviously if the OP acts on your advice to "gut" the DPF you'd be prepared to cover the cost of a new DPF system when he's nabbed?

I'm not sure that advice and opinion on a car forum where people chat and share ideas needs to be backed by guarantees. I didn't see a liability clause when I signed up for this place, did I miss something in the small print?

Doctle Odd
10-07-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure that advice and opinion on a car forum where people chat and share ideas needs to be backed by guarantees. I didn't see a liability clause when I signed up for this place, did I miss something in the small print?

Sharing ideas is one thing, "advising" someone to do something illegal and potentially very expensive with no sanction on the advisor is something else entirely.

zollaf
10-07-2015, 09:08 AM
New rules for MOT to test for diesel particulate filter - Press releases - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter)

quite clearly illegal to remove a dpf where one was fitted from the factory and type approved with it fitted. if you look at the tailpipes of a dpf equipped car, they are nice and clean. remove the dpf and they are black. this is a giveaway to both an mot tester and to vosa, who may check for this if they do a roadside test. so yeah, remove it if you want, its your car, but you may get a bit of grief for doing so, even if you leave the shell in place, until they start testing the soot levels on the mot, then you are screwed.

Tripletrouble
10-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Good grief. Are you that ****?
Seriously, stop being "so by the book" and live a little. I'm simply sharing information.

MarkTM
10-07-2015, 10:44 AM
look at the tailpipes of a dpf equipped car, they are nice and clean. remove the dpf and they are black. this is a giveaway to both an mot tester and to vosa, who may check for this if they do a roadside test.

I have no DPF and clean my pipes every day, so they are super shiny...doesn't everyone!!? :biglaugh:

Gazwould
10-07-2015, 11:01 AM
We're lucky we can talk about it on here , another forum has gone all environmental and the thread gets padlocked.

Personally I will do anything as a preventative and to make a car run better .

The choice is always yours.

Doctle Odd
10-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Good grief. Are you that ****?
Seriously, stop being "so by the book" and live a little. I'm simply sharing information.

Stop being by the book? Here's a little scenario. You're driving along in your car with a gutted DPF and VOSA are doing a roadside check. They establish your DPF isn't there and confiscate your car. You'll have a fine for driving with no MOT and possibly be unable to recover your car other than to a main dealer to have a DPF reinstalled. I'm betting the powers that be will think penalty points and/or a large fine under some EPA law will be on the statutes.
I do live quite a lot, not just a little, I simply drive a car without a DPF.

zollaf
10-07-2015, 03:06 PM
thats ok though as triple trouble will supply a new dpf and pay the fine.... of course he will, he the man...

Doctle Odd
10-07-2015, 03:18 PM
It's interesting to read/hear how people feel about breaking laws they don't agree with. I believe it's the same type of people that like cheap oil, cloned DVD's and ebay keys, the type that finds a rugby tackle in football part of the game as long as their team isn't on the receiving end. Interestingly these people are often rude and dull in equal measure, a perfect blend of ignorance and stupidity.

MarkTM
10-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Interesting debate,

But back to the OP's question.

Since he has a 2005 3.0 quattro, no he shouldn't remove his DPF since he doesn't have one! :biglaugh:

Gazwould
10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Naa , that's not right , I'm sure he's got 3 of them :p

B5NUT
10-07-2015, 05:43 PM
So the OP's question should be...... Should I remove my cat's before a remap...

Here is a question that someone may be able to answer. So it's illegal to gut/remove your cat/dpf. If you do this to your car how to you get insurance on an illegal modification:confused:

MarkTM
10-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Or if he should remove his EGR valve prior to remap?

bops6
13-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Interesting debate,

But back to the OP's question.

Since he has a 2005 3.0 quattro, no he shouldn't remove his DPF since he doesn't have one! :biglaugh:
+1
I better stay out of this debate lol

2007 3.0tdi le mans
hybrid turbo, decat,miltek, 20's etc
330-350 bhp
450-500lbst

SammoVWT
13-07-2015, 04:01 PM

The future generations of children thank you for your particulate matter clogging their airways. Do you enjoy breathing benzene particles and soot?

Tripletrouble
13-07-2015, 04:42 PM
No, I have kept mine standard. Not everyone does though. Advice was asked, advice was given.

bizzleb109
13-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the responses but it's sorted now as one of the members stated that my car does not have dpf so checked with Audi and yes my car has no dpf so issue is sorted
Thanks

bops6
13-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Just go get that remap and enjoy☺

2007 3.0tdi le mans
hybrid turbo, decat,miltek, 20's etc
330-350 bhp
450-500lbst

Mr_brakka
31-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Hi guys their is another angle you have to look at it from. Insurance if you have an accident heaven forbid and the insurance company happens to look at you exhaust or more precise you dpf and discover your running without one if your car should have one your running an illegal car and your insurance is then invalid. And an insurance company wouldn't insure an illegal car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not_Anumber
20-01-2016, 05:56 PM
How do i find out whether my A6 has a DPF ? It is early/ mid 2008 pre facelift

MarkTM
20-01-2016, 06:17 PM
7GN on data sticker means no DPF
7GG means DPF

Darned auto - correct

Not_Anumber
20-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Sorry Mark can you clarify that please:

"7GN on data sticker means no DPF 7GN means DPF "

Where is the sticker and when i find it will the presence of 7GN mean i have a DPF or not have one ?

Guest 2
20-01-2016, 06:44 PM
just replied to your own thread

data sticker in the spare wheel well or inside of the front cover of the genuine original service book, if a code says 7gn then no dpf, if it says 7gg then you have one.

Not_Anumber
20-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. My sticker says 7GN so looks like mine is without DPF, which is nice.