PDA

View Full Version : Audi a3 2007 HID Xenon light

Storm12
09-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Hello Guys and Gals

I have installed the HID Xenon Light kit, very happy. followed instructions to the (.)
However last night i decided to take a trip out to experience the difference etc etc

i noticed two half circles just of center to the left, where there is no light in them at all.
So my question is, in the headlight itself there is a plastic cone type cover which sits directly in front of the bulb, is that meant to be removed
before installation of the bulb?
The bulb is in the correct way and flush, so i don't really know what else it could be.

Info, H7 type 2007 Audi a3 2.0 tdi sportback

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Tim

Sam
09-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Welcome to VWAF :)

When you say "the HID Xenon Light kit" we don't know what kit that is, do you have a link?

You may also find that the kit isn't road legal and you won't pass an MOT without headlight washers, but that's another subject for another thread.

Storm12
09-07-2015, 12:41 PM
oh yes ofc, there only cheapo ones from ebay so therefore im guessing there not MOT friendly item No is 400781112310.
ive sent the seller a message but yet no reply.
but hey either way they wont be staying on there for long if i cant get it through an MOT lol
are there MOT friendly one available or only if your car was made with them?

Sam
09-07-2015, 12:55 PM
I think you're best off waiting for the seller to reply to your question.

His advert says you have a 12mo RTB warranty so if there is a fault, you're covered.

The only way to make it MOT friendly is to add headlamp washers but to do that you're sadly going to have to cut the front bumper of your prestige vehicle.

There are plenty of road legal bulbs that give a brighter light without damaging the retinas of other road users.

Storm12
09-07-2015, 12:59 PM
yeah i see what you mean, and not a hope in hell am i chopping up my bumper lol...
ive never really read much into these lights tbf.
too be safe i think there coming off as im taking the wife to Belgium next week.
many thanks for the reply.

Sam
09-07-2015, 01:02 PM
If you can't get a refund, I'd bin them and get some of these;

New Ring Xenon ULTIMA 120 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/127124-New-Ring-Xenon-ULTIMA-120)

Storm12
09-07-2015, 01:15 PM
yeah there cool, there for low beam aren't they? very good reviews. if i can i would like to put side light and high beam also, but hey ho.
im gonna wait for a reply from the seller and see what they say, many thanks Sam

Storm12
09-07-2015, 02:00 PM
i just went and had a look at the ballast box and it has E13 stamped on it. doesnt that mean its been ok'd for Europe but maybe not here?
ive ordered a set of ring Xenons 120 now lol

mikey2012
15-07-2015, 07:57 PM
I wouldnt remove the cone, this is designed to reflect the light back to the reflector, if you remove it then you will blind on coming drivers. They just sound like a cheapy cheap design.

As for the law regarding HID's and MOT's it is a very grey area, The testers manual "method for inspection" states:

"Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of ANY headlamp leveling and cleaning devices FITTED"

The reason for rejection statement is:

"A headlamp leveling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective"

I have heard of testers failing cars fitted with HID's as standard (by the factory) as they don't have any washer or leveling system. Its a very confusing situation as they haven't actually said that you have to have a washer and leveling system fitted. But then its not like the DVSA to make things difficult!!