PDA

View Full Version : Went for a test drive today

Holymoly
08-07-2015, 07:57 PM
So, I'm looking at acquiring an A6 with maybe up to 10k miles on the clock in the next month or two and went for a test drive today in a facelift 2.0 Ultra SLine. It was for sale at a local franchise for just over £25.5k and seemed pretty good value for money, unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy until the middle of August at the earliest and more realistically maybe the end of September at which point I intend to pay cash. The only slight blemish on the day was the franchise trying to strongarm me into a finance agreement which I really don't want whichever way they attempt to dress it up.

It had been an ex-demo and so had the right mileage. Being a facelift model it had the cool looking trapeizoidal (?) exhausts. Can someone tell me what else the facelift has done that is worth talking about? I think the things I remember are 4 zone AC rather than two and full LED lighting rather than just the running lights on the previous version. I suppose the question I'm asking is would I be missing out on much if I went for the earlier model in September as at the moment it looks like I could be saving at least two grand going down this path and maybe a bit more if I leave it until after the end of September?

Apart from that the car was smooth to drive and did nothing to dissuade me from buying one although I was a bit surprised how top gear was rarely selectable except on a clear open road compared to my current X Trail which can almost pull away in top with the torque it produces.

Stan82
08-07-2015, 08:23 PM
You've pretty much listed the main differences. The actual headlights are slightly different shape and the accrual LED pattern is better IMO on the facelift. If you go for the s tronic the lever is a different shape and the grille on the face left is chromed, unless you get a BLack edition of course! What was the spec on the used A6 you drove? Any extras, transmission, met paint etc. you should be able to bag a brand new sline for £28k!

hshah
08-07-2015, 08:34 PM
I noticed you mentioned full LED lighting. My new one has the Lighting Pack and I have noticed that the interior lights have a yellow tint like normal bulbs. I haven't popped the panels to have a look but aren't the lights meant to be white if they are LEDs?

Stan82
08-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Full LED's on the exterior lights such as headlights, brake lights etc. the light pack and ambient pack are still extras. oh yeah forgot to mention the biggest difference of all. The indicators sweeping motion from inside to out in the direction you are turning !!! They are sick! (That means amazing according to my 9 year old 😂). They look like nightrider's light !

hshah
08-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Full LED's on the exterior lights such as headlights, brake lights etc. the light pack and ambient pack are still extras. oh yeah forgot to mention the biggest difference of all. The indicators sweeping motion from inside to out in the direction you are turning !!! They are sick! (That means amazing according to my 9 year old 😂). They look like nightrider's light !

Yeah, I love the sweeping indicators. Shame I can't see my own but every time I see another FL A6 I always smile :)

M1tchy
08-07-2015, 09:02 PM
So amazing I paid lots of money and put them on my car! [emoji12]

Audi A7 retrofitted facelift tail lights with dynamic indicators - YouTube (http://youtu.be/7-Pk8T_D_C0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsimcox
09-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Other big change at the Facelift was in the Tech Pack Option. Audi Connect is now 4G/LTE and the map can be displayed in the area between the main dials. Taking the finance deal is only worth it if he is offering you a discount on the car if you do so. He is wanting you to take it because it is a high commission item for him. You could in theory take the finance deal (and the discount) and then cancel it within the 14 day cooling off period by paying cash. If the finance is from VAG then (assuming it is the same as the new car one) you can settle at any time with no penalty, if from another provider ask if there are any early settlement penalties

Holymoly
09-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Other big change at the Facelift was in the Tech Pack Option. Audi Connect is now 4G/LTE and the map can be displayed in the area between the main dials. Taking the finance deal is only worth it if he is offering you a discount on the car if you do so. He is wanting you to take it because it is a high commission item for him. You could in theory take the finance deal (and the discount) and then cancel it within the 14 day cooling off period by paying cash. If the finance is from VAG then (assuming it is the same as the new car one) you can settle at any time with no penalty, if from another provider ask if there are any early settlement penalties

Yes, having been in the business many years ago I'm well aware of the incentives dealers have in signing up people to finance deals. If you want a bit of a giggle you should do as I did and suggest that he should be able to offer me a discount on a cash deal if there is so much margin built into the price, and then listen to the salesman waffle on in quasi-BS with vague financial buzz words that mean absolutely nothing. Being an accountant it is all too apparent that financing the deal in this manner gives the dealership the maximum price on the vehicle as well as the biggest kick-back from the finance company.

EssexGonzo
09-07-2015, 12:46 PM
So amazing I paid lots of money and put them on my car! [emoji12]

Audi A7 retrofitted facelift tail lights with dynamic indicators - YouTube (http://youtu.be/7-Pk8T_D_C0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you want them on the cheap, I think I'm right in saying that the new Mondeo with LED lights also has sweeping front indicators. I'm pretty sure that's what I saw a couple of weeks ago.

belly buster
09-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Sorry to skew this thread slightly, but there's a chance you might be able to get a brand new car through a broker at pretty much the same price as second hand one from a main dealer. From an email in my inbox DTD have Audi A6 Saloon 2.0 TDi Ultra S Line 4dr at £26,955 new.

Holymoly
09-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Yeah...make the decision even more difficult for me why don't you? ;)