PDA

View Full Version : S4 2010 sports differential leak question

warp_speed
08-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Hey people any technical or people in the know that can help me out?

Bought a 2010 S4 with a sports differential and took it into my local Audi dealership for a heath check to keep the service book up to date and investigate a bearing like noise from the rear nearside.

They reported that the rear os and ns differential seals are leaking and need to be repaired before they can determine if its a bearing or not. But I've read that its not actually the diff seals that leak but the drive shaft caps that leak grease through the bolt holes because of poor sealing at the factory.

I've been quoted nearly £600 for the work to change the seals at Audi, but the place I bought the car from said they will change them instead of Audi under warranty. But I don't want a Citreon dealership changing the seals only to find out down the line that it was actually the drive shaft CV joints that were leaking and the seals were changed for no reason and perhaps not properly done.

Is there any definitive way of telling if its the diff seals or CV joints leaking, is there a UK TSB number for the CV joints leaking? How can I tell my Audi dealership to look at the TSB, surely they would check for a TSB first before concluding the diff seals.

They won't look at the noise until the seals are changed :-(

Any input would be appreciated.

Crasher
08-07-2015, 12:46 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/TPI%202025572-41_zpsp0vlr183.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Crasher1964/media/TPI%202025572-41_zpsp0vlr183.jpg.html)

warp_speed
08-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Many thanks Crasher.

That sounds like what I have, but I'm assuming someone has done a sniff on this oil to conclude its the diff seals, I hope.

Crasher
08-07-2015, 02:05 PM
The way to tell is to check out the mechanics afterwards to see if one looks green :bigeyes2::puke:

warp_speed
08-07-2015, 03:15 PM
The way to tell is to check out the mechanics afterwards to see if one looks green :bigeyes2::puke:

Ah brilliant :biglaugh: problem is I don't think my local Audi techs would lower themselves to a sniff test.

ziggycol
17-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Be very careful. My independent (but very competent) dealer identified a diff leak at a routine service and replaced the diff seals. I subsequently recognised a bearing type noise and took it back for further investigation. To cut a long story short I ended up needing a diff replacement - £7k as an Audi part. I was fortunate to find a used item at considerably less cost.

Trouble is there was no indication that anything was wrong until it appears it was too late. No warning lights - no obvious physical signs - my car is garaged and there was never a drop of oil visible on the floor. It was regularly serviced and managed to develop this leak and apparently wreck the diff in between services on a car that doesn't even do a high mileage.

warp_speed
22-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Be very careful. My independent (but very competent) dealer identified a diff leak at a routine service and replaced the diff seals. I subsequently recognised a bearing type noise and took it back for further investigation. To cut a long story short I ended up needing a diff replacement - £7k as an Audi part. I was fortunate to find a used item at considerably less cost.

Trouble is there was no indication that anything was wrong until it appears it was too late. No warning lights - no obvious physical signs - my car is garaged and there was never a drop of oil visible on the floor. It was regularly serviced and managed to develop this leak and apparently wreck the diff in between services on a car that doesn't even do a high mileage.

Your words ring true.

Took my car to my local Audi dealership for S-Tronic oil change and got them to reinvestigate oil leak from diff seals and a bearing type noise. They confirmed it’s not the diff seals but CV joints that are leaking grease and is causing the bearing type noise and need replacement drive shaft on drivers’ side rear. So I took my car to a genuine Audi repairer who will honour my car warranty (from car dealership I bought the car from) and will get them to change the drive shaft under warranty.

Their master tech took the car out and confirmed a mechanical noise and grease leak from drive shaft, but said it’s not the drive shaft causing the noise but the diff. A drive shaft noise would be all the time and he was suspicious that this noise only gets noisy when it’s been driven for a while i.e. warmed up.

Anyway new sports diff needed, cost £6043 excluding VAT (?) God bless warranties. They have never ordered a part that was so expensive. They are hoping for good will from Audi as the car has only ever been serviced by Audi.

warp_speed
23-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Well Audi UK has come through on this and are providing a sports diff as good will, dealership is picking up the labour. But they said it can take up to 28 days to get one from Germany. Anyone have experience in how long it realistically takes to get bits from the factory, such as a sports diff?

Crasher
23-07-2015, 10:17 AM
If they are in stock at the main parts warehouse then at the most 10 days, if there is no stock like happened with BLB engine balancer shaft assemblies a couple of years ago, months!

warp_speed
23-07-2015, 12:00 PM
If they are in stock at the main parts warehouse then at the most 10 days, if there is no stock like happened with BLB engine balancer shaft assemblies a couple of years ago, months!

Arghh, that would suck. They said it was on back order so I'm not sure if that means at the parts warehouse or their waiting for the manufacturer to make some more.

ziggycol
24-07-2015, 04:01 PM
And be aware, if my experience is anything to go by, that fitting takes time too. Apart from the mechanical swap out the software reprogramming to get the car to recognise the new part seemed to take an age.