PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 1.6 Issue - no start - no turn - just a "click" sound (not mechanical)

Ciprian
01-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Hello,

Cold start, at the beginning for 1 sec the engine rotate (no start, just spinning) and then just "click-click-click". Second try, no engine rotation but just the "click-click-click" which is more like an electronic sound (sorry for this fuzzy explanation :) ). I have checked live the OBD but no fault code appeared.

I have an 1.6 2006 A3 with 120,000miles.

Any ideas?

As well, I had for the last 2 months the Crankshaft sensor code fault which turned on-and-off. Car worked fine with this fault code ON.

Thank you for your support!

Ciprian

Doctle Odd
01-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Battery

Ciprian
01-07-2015, 08:35 AM
How can I check if its the battery? There is no battery red light on my dashboard. Its just at the beginning but turns off once I turn the key to start the engine.

Thank you for taking the time to help me!

Doctle Odd
01-07-2015, 08:37 AM
You'd need a meter to check the output of the battery. In the meantime you can clean the terminals and connections. Do you have a battery charger or booster pack/jump leads? If the alternator is working it's either a poor connection a bad battery or a duff starter. Easy enough to get sorted, if you get it started any tyre place, motor factors or Halfords will test your battery and alternator output for free

Ciprian
01-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Thanks a lot for your time and reply.

Doctle Odd
01-07-2015, 08:47 AM
If you're desperate get 2 or 3 people to give you a push, ignition on, clutch in and car in 2nd gear. Pop the clutch at 4 mph or so and it should start :)