PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v T reg golf intermittent idle problem

Daryls92
29-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Hey,

Not sure if there has been a previous post on here with the same problem but I've recently purchased a mk4 1.6 golf. It started off with a really bad idle problem where it was bouncing very irrationally and was even stalling at hill starts but I cleaned the throttle body out following a guide on this site and its now considerably better. Now though it seems to bounce between 1000-1300 rpm and smells like it's running very rich! The MPG isn't great but I always thought the 1.6 wasn't the best on fuel economy anyways. I haven't got access to a reader and can't tell you any fault codes but was just enquiring on some input on wether it could be the coolant temperature sensor, cam angle sensor or even a new TB?

Cheers for your help!

SammoVWT
29-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Sounds like it needs a throttle body alignment, VCDS can perform both alignment and scan functions and may be able to diagnose the richness at least. (either fault code or checking sensor readings vs a probe etc). Someone local to you might be able to help via the VCDS search function. Handy bit of kit to have if you plan on keeping the car.

My 1.6 is pretty frugal, can get thirsty if you push it though.

Daryls92
29-06-2015, 03:14 PM
I'll have a look and get the alignment done, will post back with an update.