PDA

View Full Version : Ordered My New Passat B8 Estate

NevGo
28-06-2015, 12:52 PM
So the finance department have approved my new car :

Passat B8 Estate R-Line 2.0 SCR 190 indiumm grey

Any idea on current lead times ? and have i made a big mistake not upgrading to the 19" wheels ?

I am also a little concerned about the SCR system - will i need to carry around a drum of AdBlue ?

Have to say I am very excited, I have done 123000 miles in my B7 and it still drives well but i am looking forward to the extra few HP that my 2.0l sport really needed :Blush:

Lets hope it is more reliable than my B6 which had the dreaded fuel injector issues

NevGo
14-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Update today - due for delivery mid Nov so 4 1/2 months :(

Crawshy
17-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Hi there I'm currently waiting for my Estate GT SCR190 in the same colour - mine's due for delivery early September, my local dealer said its 14/15 weeks for a GT, I'd expect its a bit longer for the R Line which looks likely from your delivery date.

I had the same concerns about the Adblue, as I cover nearly 30000 miles a year, I've been told the tank is about 10 litres and I think the blurb says it uses around a litre per 600 miles, but how much it uses depends how you drive (was what I was quoted)

Did you go for the manual or DSG?

lozzer62
17-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Any idea on current lead times ? and have i made a big mistake not upgrading to the 19" wheels ?

I am also a little concerned about the SCR system - will i need to carry around a drum of AdBlue ?

I would say that the 18" are better than the 19" for ride quality and noise. You won't be disappointed!

As far as AdBlue is concerned, don't worry. The central display will give you adequate warning of when it needs topping up and as it recommends a minimum of 4litres at a time you won't want to be holding that amount in the boot just in case. Most petrol stations carry 5litre cans of it these days, so just think of it as having to top up the engine oil every 10-12k.

I did have a thought though. Adblue is apparently made from urea, so if you're really pushed have a big drink and wait a few hours. You should be able to contribute 1 litre or so. The trick will be getting it into the filler nozzle!

NevGo
20-07-2015, 09:01 AM
I went for manual - I had to push the limits of the company car allowance to get the R-Line in 190 PS so it really came down to a choice between 150PS DSG or 190PS manual - I have loved my current B7 Sport but always wanted a little bit more power so choice was easy.

NevGo
20-07-2015, 09:04 AM
I would say that the 18" are better than the 19" for ride quality and noise. You won't be disappointed!

As far as AdBlue is concerned, don't worry. The central display will give you adequate warning of when it needs topping up and as it recommends a minimum of 4litres at a time you won't want to be holding that amount in the boot just in case. Most petrol stations carry 5litre cans of it these days, so just think of it as having to top up the engine oil every 10-12k.

I did have a thought though. Adblue is apparently made from urea, so if you're really pushed have a big drink and wait a few hours. You should be able to contribute 1 litre or so. The trick will be getting it into the filler nozzle!

1 litre? OMG with that amount in my bladder I think I would be able to hit anything up to 10 yards away with supreme accuracy :D

chucky
20-07-2015, 10:53 AM
1 litre? OMG with that amount in my bladder I think I would be able to hit anything up to 10 yards away with supreme accuracy :D

My A6 150 Tdi went through 17 litres of Adblue in 5,500 mile.

NevGo
20-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Chunky - out of interest did you get it topped up by the dealer and if so what did they charge for this ?

At that rate of consumption I would be using close to 100l per year :(

chucky
20-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Chunky - out of interest did you get it topped up by the dealer and if so what did they charge for this ?

At that rate of consumption I would be using close to 100l per year :(

The dealer did it for free. But the 17 litres cost €33.

NevGo
20-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Thank you for the quick reply :) - looks like I will be a regular visitor to my local dealer for Adblue refills but at least it isn't sooooo expensive. I have read that people were charged £100 by main dealers for a fill up.

Crawshy
20-07-2015, 02:03 PM
I had a similar choice, or a 150 manual with a few more toys, if the DSG was the 7 speed I might have gone for it, as its meant to be smoother especially on down-changes, but I prefer a manual for driving (after been snarled up in traffic jams for another 12 months that might change), but I'm hoping the 7 speed will be on it at facelift stage which should be when my next car is due in about 3 years time. I'm just hoping the 190 offers noticeable better performance. The full figures for the manual still don't seem available on the site, though I've read tests saying 0-60 is a second quick, though that's less important than in gear flexibility and 30-70mph which I'm expecting will be better with the increase in torque

I'm also preparing myself for a few fill ups of Adblue!

If anyone has a 190 manual can they tell me what revs it does at 70mph in 6th? Thanks!

NevGo
20-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Are the gear ratios different on the 190 to the 150 ? - I really will have to stop looking at this forum, it is just filling my mind with all kinds of other worries :p

lozzer62
23-07-2015, 04:18 PM
I had a similar choice, or a 150 manual with a few more toys, if the DSG was the 7 speed I might have gone for it, as its meant to be smoother especially on down-changes, but I prefer a manual for driving (after been snarled up in traffic jams for another 12 months that might change), but I'm hoping the 7 speed will be on it at facelift stage which should be when my next car is due in about 3 years time. I'm just hoping the 190 offers noticeable better performance. The full figures for the manual still don't seem available on the site, though I've read tests saying 0-60 is a second quick, though that's less important than in gear flexibility and 30-70mph which I'm expecting will be better with the increase in torque

I'm also preparing myself for a few fill ups of Adblue!

If anyone has a 190 manual can they tell me what revs it does at 70mph in 6th? Thanks!

On the subject of the 7-speed gearbox. In the 240PS, it's quite clunky changing down from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd, but okay between all other gears. I don't remember my B6 DSG being quite that clunky. The only option I guess is to set the driving mode to Eco and let the car coast to a halt, but I don't like that feeling. I'd prefer engine braking and this entails it shuffling down the gears.

I'll reserve proper judgement when the engine has bedded in after a few thousand miles.

xfact
15-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi lozzer, i just took delivery of my 2.0 BiTDI estate and I like it so far. One qustion. Is you engine noisy? Above 2k rpm i hear qite clearly the motor. I compare it to my previous car , audi a4 b8, 2.0 tdi 143BHP.

lozzer62
15-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Hi lozzer, i just took delivery of my 2.0 BiTDI estate and I like it so far. One qustion. Is you engine noisy? Above 2k rpm i hear qite clearly the motor. I compare it to my previous car , audi a4 b8, 2.0 tdi 143BHP.
Hi, yes I would say that it sounds a bit louder than somethink like a 1.6l diesel Golf, but I put that down to the type of engine and the fact that the turbo is crammed in between the engine and the bulkhead. They've even had to move the battery into the boot and relocated the washer fluid reservoir to make it fit.
Hopefully it'll settle down after it's run in.

Mind you, mine is pretty quiet now. I took it into the dealer after the adaptive cruise control error light kept coming on. They have identified a software fault and are waiting for an update from Germany. They have refused to let me have it back until it's fixed.

I'm driving a Golf.

xfact
15-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Hi, yes I would say that it sounds a bit louder than somethink like a 1.6l diesel Golf, but I put that down to the type of engine and the fact that the turbo is crammed in between the engine and the bulkhead. They've even had to move the battery into the boot and relocated the washer fluid reservoir to make it fit.
Hopefully it'll settle down after it's run in.

Mind you, mine is pretty quiet now. I took it into the dealer after the adaptive cruise control error light kept coming on. They have identified a software fault and are waiting for an update from Germany. They have refused to let me have it back until it's fixed.

I'm driving a Golf.
Golf, nice ;)

today i passed the 1000km mark and pushed the car harder. Settings: suspension:sport, steering:sport all the rest into normal. Perfect fit.
I also learned to drive in ECO mode.

If i just let the gas pedal without any force, the car switches to neutral ( coasting it says) if you want to use the motor as a brake while deselerating, then just touch the brake for a moment and the gear box engages itself to slow down the car.

i am beginning to like the big golf :)

Crawshy
17-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Been told I'll be taking delivery of mine (not the Bi-Turbo, but the 190SCR) on the 1st September, so it will be on a 65 plate :)

How you guys getting on with your Adblue? Are you noticing it using more if your heavy with your right foot?

Always VW
27-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Hi All

I took delivery of a new B8 Estate Highline Business Plus SE in Ireland. Dary grey. Coffee brown full leather. I just dispensed with a nicely specced B7 Estate (2012).

I got the 17 inch wheels. No 18/19 for me and I am thankful I did.

Query folks- my tyres are 215. On the last model they were 235/17.

That brings me to my thoughts on the car. On the 17inchers, I am finding it far more severe than my B7. Far more. It hopes and skips more. On a motorway it is similar but over sharp interruptions it does not have the composure that my B7 estate had. On the other hand it is genuinely a different car in corners. But I have been looking at road tests and even those on 18 inch tyres have testers commenting that the ride is extremely quiet and absorbent. This is not my experience to date.

I live in Wicklow in Ireland and while my friends on the mainland complain about their roads, they are infinetely superior to ours in Ireland.

Any agreement?

I am just finding the ride not sufficiently damped. A middle class concern if ever there was one I know. I am also finding that engineering some weight out out has left it feeling a little short in places. For example, my wife has a 10 B7 Passat saloon. The electric windows have a beautifully damped action when they go up and meet the top of the door; in the new B8 it is not so. More like an asian car. Cheap and hollow sounding at the connection point. Again, taking the weight out clearly has benefits in corners but has anyone had these concerns or am I making the perfect the enemy of the good and these are picayune concerns that are best ignored.

Again while the interior is leagues ahead in terms of soft touch points, I am missing a "big car" feel. It feels like a golf in terms of rolling refinement which whilst no surprise is not something the last models ever did in my view.

While I see progress on many fronts, I cannot but think this isnt the march forward that has been touted. And as I said before, the ride to my mind isnt good enough. Would switching to 235 tyres as my B7 had make things better in terms of ride (but detract from the handling).

And my final point- commentators still say it is "safe" in terms of handling. I find it far better than "safe". I would say genuinely agile in tight bends (of which there are many in my vicinity). Something that has been ignored in my view by the motoring press.

Sorry for the long post but Im struggling to really connect with this as I did with my B7 which had far inferior handling but a big car and cosseting feel

NevGo
25-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Just been informed that my delivery date has been put back from mid Nov to some time in Feb - not happy at all and considering cancelling

Anyone else having trouble ?

macker6464
25-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Didn't you order it in June NevGo? That will be 8 months! I was contemplating ditching my 100K B6 for a shiny B8. With all the recent furore of the "Defeat" device I was holding off - not that I had time to get round to ordering one!

I had in my mind if I ordered it soon it might be here for Christmas... I guess not...

xfact
26-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Ha, NevGo :) I waited for just around 6 months. The car is worth it. On the other hand, if I were you in the current case, I would also consider a new A4, B9 ;) my only complaint about the new Passat are that it is not an audi... The ride is just different. audi is just premium brand. If I knew i would have to wait for 6 months, i would have ordered an Audi. but don't get me wrond, the Passat B8 is Great. Especially with the 240 Hp version.

NevGo
26-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Didn't you order it in June NevGo? That will be 8 months! I was contemplating ditching my 100K B6 for a shiny B8. With all the recent furore of the "Defeat" device I was holding off - not that I had time to get round to ordering one!

I had in my mind if I ordered it soon it might be here for Christmas... I guess not...

Mine was ordered end of June with delivery scheduled mid Nov - now revised to Feb 16 so yes will be around 8 months

My worry is that as our fleet vehicles are ordered through a lease company they are holding the order back due to concerns over residual values - just a guess but wouldnt surprise me.

I think with a little pressure i may be able to change to a 3 series touring 320d Msport available within about 12 weeks.

Will find out on Monday - there has been talk that they could send my current vehicle back anyway and hire me something until the new one arrives

NevGo
02-02-2016, 09:28 AM
**** UPDATE ****

After a lot of chasing with both the dealer and VW UK My car finally shows on the order tracker as build week confirmed for W/c 8th Feb 2016.

I am told that it is likely to be 4 - 6 weeks from build week to delivery so it looks like 9 months from order to delivery !!

I really hope it is worth the wait

macker6464
09-02-2016, 12:41 AM
**** UPDATE ****

so it looks like 9 months from order to delivery !!

I was going to replace my trusty 108K (just run in I hear you say) VW estate with a new one a while back but been too busy.

9 months!! Is this typical from ordering to getting?

I would be ordering a VW Passat Estate Manual SE Business 2.0 TDI with a few extras. Is there some element that delays the build or should I give up and buy one second hand?? Surely it can't take that long...or can it??

NevGo
09-02-2016, 09:28 AM
We have some SE Business on the fleet and they have been arriving in about 3-4 months so I would check with the dealer first.

The dealer handling my vehicle tells me that the long lead times only seem to be on GT and R-Line models - Just unlucky I guess :(

I really don't understand the problem with my vehicle and nobody seems to be able to explain - 2 dealers told me it was due to a problem with alloy wheel supplies but VW UK have denied this and claim it is due to massive demand.

I have to admit that had I have been told at the time of ordering that it would take 9 moths to deliver I would probably ordered something else.

I have been stuck with a Merc C class estate for months now and I dislike everything about it, cant wait for the Passat to finally arrive.

StumblingTrout
09-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Ordered my GT Estate on the 10th Nov 2015 and it's now built at the docks waiting for the ferry over to Blighty. Looking at first week of March for collection, so potentially 4 months or just under from placing the order with my local dealer to (hopefully) collecting.

NevGo
10-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Looks like luck of the draw then - and I lost out big time :(

Oh well at least I get 65 plate :)

scottjc
18-02-2016, 08:23 PM
I ordered my 190SCR R Line in August 15 and was told that delivery time for GT and R Line models was 6 months. I'm being quoted an anticipated delivery date of 7 March...

NevGo
10-03-2016, 01:34 PM

After 8 1/2 Months it finally arrived today :)

YawnGumbo
10-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Looks great! I got notification that mine was delivered to the dealers yesterday, having ordered on 19 Jan so I guess you were very unlucky! Ah well - all worth it in the end :)

scottjc
10-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Congratulations, that looks great.
Mine is also now with the dealer and I should have it on the 17th.

NevGo
24-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Quick update .........

Definitely worth the wait and my fears over the addblue were at least partially unfounded

warning came up after 4500 mile :aargh4:....... after the horror stories of how much dealers cost for a top up i was worried about the long term costs but i found a petrol station with an addblue pump stuck 13l in for less than a £10 easy as anything :)

The car is beautiful smooth, responsive and reasonably quick and the ambient lighting in white LED is a thing of beauty :)

BenR
04-05-2016, 10:38 AM
There's plenty of Adblue on sale on Ebay.

NevGo
04-05-2016, 12:19 PM
seems to be about £1.35 /l delivered on ebay - I paid £0.69 /l at the pump at filling station

I used the www.findadblue.com (http://www.findadblue.com) website and was pleased to find the pumps are fairly prolific

IMO much easier and cleaner then filling from a bottle and you can get a complete fill every time :)

minieggs
25-11-2019, 06:05 PM
I took delivery of a new B8 Estate Highline Business Plus SE in Ireland. Dary grey. Coffee brown full leather. I just dispensed with a nicely specced B7 Estate (2012).

If you still have it how is the leather holding up four years on ?

rcaero
23-02-2020, 01:05 AM
How are map updates carried out now with the latest MIB? Wifi?