PDA

View Full Version : Question S3 Sportback - previously owned by forces personnel

SCOOBYDOO1
26-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Hi
I'm new here so hello.

I've just found a 2010 S3 sportback fro sale, low miles, one owner, UK car with a full UK service history. The only thing is that it was previously owned by someone in the forces, so driven in Germany.

The dealer has said the milometer can be changed from km to miles by Audi for about £60, but should I be worried otherwise??

Thanks
Tony

zollaf
26-06-2015, 06:03 PM
welcome. germany has autobahns, means it will more that likely have been pushed to its limit. means it should run like clockwork.

Doctle Odd
26-06-2015, 06:49 PM
You may feel like wearing jackboots and growing a small moustache after you get it

M1tchy
26-06-2015, 11:03 PM
When we are posted to Germany, we have to set the car up for permanent use on the opposite side of the road. This includes speedo, headlights and tail lights. Make sure that they are all now UK legal and UK spec and you should be fine.

Apart from that we are just normal humans (ish) so don't worry [emoji12]. Oh and we get good discounts on cars over there so may not have been owned for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctle Odd
27-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Apologies I was thinking German military

JMR1
27-06-2015, 09:58 AM
If its a LHD car.....maybe you can change lights and speedo etc......but the steering wheel ETC?

M1tchy
27-06-2015, 10:25 AM
We normally get full UK spec cars with RHD.

JMR1
27-06-2015, 11:28 AM
You can buy 2nd hand German cars with RHD? Or was it imported from the UK originally?

M1tchy
27-06-2015, 11:32 AM
No we buy them new. If they are second hand they will obviously be German spec, LHD etc and need the lights and speedo changing to UK spec if the car ever got brought to the UK permanently.

JMR1
27-06-2015, 01:35 PM
So it's possible to buy new car in Germany, to UK specs. ....That's interesting.

M1tchy
27-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Yes. And if you are serving armed forces you get one hell of a discount. All done through UK based forms too so there are no language issues. They do lesser discounts if not posted there. Can get the names of some of you like?

JMR1
27-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the offer,M1tchy, much appreciated. But unfortunately too late for me to take advantage of. I work abroad (but not in Germany..unfortunately...:zx11: at least at the moment anyway ) and I will retire end of this year, which further limits my choices, Plus, regardless of where I would buy or at what price, the Irish Revenue have their own rules and regulations concerning importing foreign bought vehicles... To stand any kind of chance, you would have to live in the country of purchase minimum 1 year, ( maybe even that has changed by now ..:zx11: ) and then import on the same basis as your household goods, TV Freezer, Furniture etc. About 15 years ago, Ireland was ordered by the EU to harmonise their vehicle taxes, sane as the rest of the EU......Irish Govt begged a 10 year grace period, which the EU allowed, and after this 10 years, the Govt DID abolish the import tax, such as it was,,,,,,, but without skipping a beat, promptly introduced a brand new "Registration Tax" same old... same old..... So the chances of me getting a cheaper European car are getting less and less each day.....But thats Life...:D

Doctle Odd
27-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the offer,M1tchy, much appreciated. But unfortunately too late for me to take advantage of. I work abroad (but not in Germany..unfortunately...:zx11: at least at the moment anyway ) and I will retire end of this year, which further limits my choices, Plus, regardless of where I would buy or at what price, the Irish Revenue have their own rules and regulations concerning importing foreign bought vehicles... To stand any kind of chance, you would have to live in the country of purchase minimum 1 year, ( maybe even that has changed by now ..:zx11: ) and then import on the same basis as your household goods, TV Freezer, Furniture etc. About 15 years ago, Ireland was ordered by the EU to harmonise their vehicle taxes, sane as the rest of the EU......Irish Govt begged a 10 year grace period, which the EU allowed, and after this 10 years, the Govt DID abolish the import tax, such as it was,,,,,,, but without skipping a beat, promptly introduced a brand new "Registration Tax" same old... same old..... So the chances of me getting a cheaper European car are getting less and less each day.....But thats Life...:D

It's only 35%!

JMR1
27-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Could be worse, I suppose. Could be 40%....or higher:zx11: none the less...still way higher than our EU neighbors are paying....Noonans way, not Frankfurts way, I guess thats what he meant.

Doctle Odd
27-06-2015, 03:51 PM
I'm fairly sure high taxes and low pay is Frankfurt s way