PDA

View Full Version : Active Info Display release

lozzer62
24-06-2015, 09:10 AM
If you've seen any of the European YouTube video reviews of the B8 Passat you'd have seen them talk about the Active Info Display - a fully digital TFT instrument display which the driver can configure to show 'dials' and or navigation and vehicle stats etc. It's similar to the one in the new Audi TT. It is due to cost an extra £750, but whether it relies on Discovery Nav Pro, or any other specs I don't know.

I asked VW in the UK when this would be available to order and they told me that it was scheduled for Week 35. Since then I haven't heard or seen anything about it, but worth checking with your dealer before you order a new car and see if it has appeared on their latest pricelist.

I was also told by VW UK Customer Service back in April when I was chasing mine that VW had added the head-up display to the 240PS GT in the 2016 model revision (anything built after Week 22). I have taken this with a pinch of salt, because it doesn't even appear on any spec or price lists yet. I'm not holding my breath.

Crawshy
17-07-2015, 01:20 PM
I spoke to my local dealership yesterday, as my colleague wants a new Passat but is waiting for Active Info Display, they said it will still be a few months before it can even be ordered in the UK

lozzer62
17-07-2015, 01:41 PM
I spoke to my local dealership yesterday, as my colleague wants a new Passat but is waiting for Active Info Display, they said it will still be a few months before it can even be ordered in the UK

Good move. VW UK don't have a clue what is and isn't planned for the model. Mine was built week 25 and although VW UK told me that it would have the Head-up display it doesn't!

What's more, the "Twin Trapezoid Exhaust Pipes" in the brochure and pricelist are nothing of the sort. They are simply chrome trim. The exhaust exits in two pipes back left, behind the bumper, just like every other model. I would have expected a "pipe" to be open at both ends, not to be stuck to the plastic bumper at one.

Crawshy
17-07-2015, 01:52 PM
I was admiring the pics of your new BI TDI, looks stunning and also reassured me I'd gone for the right colour too

I was lucky enough to have a test drive of the BI TDI estate from my local dealer back in Feb, 'sadly' it was the only model they had as a demonstrator. It was so quick comparable to my father in laws Merc CLS350 CDI actually and very relaxing on the motorway, only had it for the afternoon, but I was hooked, sadly with it been a company car the P11d value and emissions put it out of reach, but the 190 should be a nice substitute just know if I see one with red TDI on bootlid or 4motion on grill on I'll just let it go by. Its funny because I remember looking at the underneath and thinking the same about the exhausts, how many more manfacturers are going to put fake exhaust outlets on? The 190 has a twin exhaust exit on the left, whereas the 150 and 120s have blank plates, the only other difference I can see is the DI on the 190 is red

Be interested to see what you think of yours after it's run in, mine's due September and I'm counting down the days!

SirLoin
04-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Well I now make it firmly into Week 36 of the year and there still doesn't seem to be any sign of the Active Info Display. I've recently been onto the French VW site and the Active Info Display is certainly an orderable option there for the B8 (750 Euros in case you're interested).

I get the occasional call from my local dealer to see if I'm still interested in buying, as I went in for a test drive a few months ago. "Nope. Not interested until the Active Info Display comes out."

Does anyone know if the Heads up Display is bundled with the Active Info Display or whether this is a completely separate option?

Jws1
04-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Seems the GTE version in France includes the Active info display as standard. And the standard Passat has a charge of 550 Euro + 290 Euro for a media upgrade.

But when looking at the German site the GTE does not include the active info display as standard and it's a 505 Euro costs + 2,000 Euro for the discover pro.

Literally no idea which way the UK will go since the German site seems to sell their cars with very little as standard compared to the UK. However, we will no doubt have to pay for active info regardless of which version we go for and hopefully won't also get stung with needing to get the discover pro system on top since that seems like a total waste of money for what you get (or don't!)