PDA

View Full Version : braided hoses

macc70
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi Im looking into upgrading my brakes and wondered if changing the hoses to the braided type would be a good starting point
Ive had a quick look on the web but not yet found any kits for my MK5 140 GOLF

Space Cadet
04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
In short, it’s definitely worth upgrading your hoses, but only if you are upgrading everything else such as new callipers and/or discs/pads & fluid – or have already done these.

You will notice a slightly less spongy feel to the pedal but as above is not really worth doing on its own, you will get more feel from just upgrading the pads on their own.

If perhaps you’ve already upgraded the discs and/or pads and need to do a fluid change then the extra labour or time to change the hoses as well is minimal.

macc70
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Many thanks for your response
I am getting as much advice and help before I take the plunge. The caliper change seems to be the only positive way to go as you suggest.
I have changed pads before but thats as far as it goes
With my haynes manual I am going to get stuck in and see what i can do

thanks macc70

Space Cadet
05-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Callipers are normally upgraded as part of a big brake kit, i.e. you wouldn’t normally keep your old size discs and just upgrade the calliper (obviously there are exceptions).

The big brake kits obviously cost a small fortune, but you will get 75% of the power for 25% of the money by just upgrading your discs with ones of better quality but the same size, upgrading the pads again to better quality and upgrading the hoses and then using higher spec brake fluid.

I really rate the EBC ‘USR’ discs and also Pagid R42 pads, (have this set-up on my Elise) they will squeal a little now and again but along with the hoses and fluid will feel like night and day to your old set-up.

Whatever you do just make sure you bed everything properly – do 20 miles of light town driving to get the surfaces off the discs and pads then find your favourite private road and do 4 consecutive 100-10 mph stops (do not come to a standstill or lock the brakes!!) in quick succession, then give them lots of time to cool down by taking it easy for say 5 miles without braking if possible.

macc70
05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Many thanks.
I have a better idea of what I need to be asking about and what to look for.
When Im up and running again and a few quid lighter ill let you know how things go.
PS I will try hard to find a private roadhttp://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif