PDA

View Full Version : Exterior and interior protection on new A6 Avant

loz65
17-06-2015, 06:09 PM
I've been offered the inevitable LifeShine by Audi for £299.

Having reviewed this on various forums, it appears that I can do much better with a dedicated detailer. Apart from the issues raised regarding how this is sometimes applied, I believe it is polymer based, rather than silicon based, so is not particularly protective?

I've been to see a local detailer today and asked what the best protection he would be able to apply and he has recommended CarPro Finest ceramic coating. The total cost to prepare the car and then apply everything to both exterior and interior including all plastic trim and wheels is around £700 - not cheap, but I'm prepared to pay if it does the job! I'm particularly interested in protecting the interior, since I've specified the alcantara seats, which I'm assuming are more vulnerable to stains and his quote includes the Cquartz protection on these.

Has anyone else had this product applied to their car and have any feedback on how well it protects interior/exterior and how long it lasts?

He asked what type of alcantara the seats were? I thought there was only one type of alcantara - am I wrong? I'm assuming the Nappa leather bolsters on these seats are genuine leather - I believe most Mercedes 'leather' seats are no longer genuine?!

He has also encouraged me to tell the dealer not to wash the car when it arrives and if possible to leave the plastic protection on - I'll no doubt get some odd comments about this....

Any information/advice very welcome!

Pikey Narna
17-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Hi Loz65
Don't let the dealer do it. They will not detail it correctly. All you will end up with is a bill for £300 for the car to be polished.
If you are the sort of person that is going to look after your car get it professionally detailed first and he will advice you how to look after your car in the years to come.
Regards
Andy

Mark 2805
17-06-2015, 07:51 PM
I had Gtechniq C1 + EXO package on my Allroad. Has lasted well and has been easier to keep clean. If you are planning to keep the car and aren't going to use the local car wash see what a Gtechniq CS Black detail will cost. You only really need the outside doing by a pro, the inside stuff is a doddle. Carpets and fabrics is just a case of soaking with I1 smart fabric, leather and dash products are a wipe on buff off. Glass is also doable yourself.

Fatbadger
17-06-2015, 09:46 PM
I totally agree with the Gtechniq treatment. Check out my thread from a few months back.

Pictures 2 months in and nearly 3000 miles (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=163379)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

A6S
17-06-2015, 11:40 PM
I got a protection detail done on the outside by a detailer on my first c7 and the 18 months I had it, it looked great.
The finish on it made it easy to wash. Make sure your detailer does the wheels as well. I found most of the time the wheels just needed a blast from the pressure washer and they looked clean.
Interior I wouldn't worry too much about, got the alcantara seats in my new FL and 6 months on they still look good, nothing a damp cloth wouldn't clean up. I got a 2 year old and none of his mess has managed to stain or mark the seats.

ali00
17-06-2015, 11:53 PM
£700 sounds a bit steep!

I get my detailing work done from Midlands Car Care (you can check out their work on their facebook page - www.facebook.com/MidlandsCarCare ) and they charge me around £300 for a new car detail with CQuartz finest, never had a problem with the company. Always go one step further for the customer.

But it depends on location of course :)

loz65
20-06-2015, 06:00 PM
£700 sounds a bit steep!

I get my detailing work done from Midlands Car Care (you can check out their work on their facebook page - www.facebook.com/MidlandsCarCare (http://www.facebook.com/MidlandsCarCare) ) and they charge me around £300 for a new car detail with CQuartz finest, never had a problem with the company. Always go one step further for the customer.

But it depends on location of course :)

Thanks Ali. I'm going for Misano red with the black styling package, whch has a mixture of high gloss and mat black on different trim. When yours was treated with the CQuartz finest, did it alter the colour of any of the exterior at all?

Also, do you find that you have to top up the treatment in any way or do you just give it a blast with shampoo and water to get it looking shiny again?!

ali00
20-06-2015, 09:22 PM
I had my Glacier White A6 done over a year ago and it still looks pretty glossy. In terms of altering the colour, it just really makes the colour pop, gives it a kind of 'wet-look just washed it' kind of look and really increases the gloss levels.

With regards to aftercare, to keep it looking as fresh as the day you get the detail done, I always use the two bucket method and use a good wash mitten. You can just wash and dry. But I always dry it and then give it a quick once over with some quick detailer spray. I typically use Auto Finesse QD spray, not too costly and it smells great - it enhances the gloss slightly so you don't get that fade with time as you're replenishing it. Although, recently I've bought CarPro reload spray sealant which is supposed to work wonders after a wash but I'm yet to try that.

Ive also got a Misano Red black edition A6 which is due to picked up either this coming week or the week after which will be treated with CQuartz finest so I'll post some pictures up once it's had its new car detail.

berlintaxi
21-06-2015, 08:50 AM
£700 sounds far too much, I had mine detailed with G3 Glasscoat from new, dealer didn't even wash it, 10,000 miles and 7 months later still comes up like new after a quick wash.

loz65
21-06-2015, 01:42 PM
I had my Glacier White A6 done over a year ago and it still looks pretty glossy. In terms of altering the colour, it just really makes the colour pop, gives it a kind of 'wet-look just washed it' kind of look and really increases the gloss levels.

With regards to aftercare, to keep it looking as fresh as the day you get the detail done, I always use the two bucket method and use a good wash mitten. You can just wash and dry. But I always dry it and then give it a quick once over with some quick detailer spray. I typically use Auto Finesse QD spray, not too costly and it smells great - it enhances the gloss slightly so you don't get that fade with time as you're replenishing it. Although, recently I've bought CarPro reload spray sealant which is supposed to work wonders after a wash but I'm yet to try that.

Ive also got a Misano Red black edition A6 which is due to picked up either this coming week or the week after which will be treated with CQuartz finest so I'll post some pictures up once it's had its new car detail.

Thanks, that's really useful. Will be good to see the pictures.

MarkTM
21-06-2015, 03:14 PM
The Gtechnig kit can be purchased here

Gtechniq Total Surface Protection Exterior Only Kit plus EXOv2 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gtechniq-Total-Surface-Protection-Exterior-Only-Kit-plus-EXOv2-/251583541961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a938c32c9)

Am guessing then it would take 2 days to do your car yourself..natch it becomes less of an issue if you earn over £95k pa as your daily rate of pay will be more than getting someone to do it for you :biglaugh:

As to alcantara found this by just doing a google:

http://www.alcantara.com/en/experien...anuale_eng.pdf (http://www.alcantara.com/en/experience/manutenzione/pdf/manuale_eng.pdf)

Maintenance / Ordinary maintenance

To preserve the beauty of Alcantara®, we recommend that you clean the material regularly, avoiding
energetic scrubbing and the use of steaming equipment.

Daily cleaning:
dust Alcantara® using a soft brush, a dry cloth, or a vacuum cleaner.

Weekly cleaning: after dusting Alcantara®, clean it with a
slightly damp, white cotton cloth; avoid using printed cloth or paper towels
which could leave ink marks on the material.

Annual cleaning: if the covering is removable, clean it in the washing machine, following the procedure
described in the page "General washing instructions".

If the covering is not removable, you can use specific products, or - if they are not on hand -
dust it with a soft cloth or sponge dampened with clean water. Wring it out well
and clean all Alcantara® material, taking care not to wet the upholstery too
deeply; dampen the cloth in clean water, wipe again, and allow to dry well
overnight. Rejuvenate the material by brushing it delicately with a
soft-bristled brush.

For smaller stains, if specific products are not on
hand, follow these instructions.

- Act immediately, within 30 minutes of the stain's formation.
- First, remove the substance which has been spilled
with a spoon or plastic spatula, if it is dense (yoghurt, jam, etc.), or with a
white paper towel or sponge if it is liquid.
- Never pour the cleaning
product directly on the material; rather, use a white cloth or a well-wrung
sponge (rinse in clean water each time after wiping and wring out well).
-
Try to reduce the stain by working from the edge towards the centre; do not
scrub hard, otherwise it could spread or penetrate more deeply.

Depending on the type of stain, you can use water, lemon juice, or pure ethyl alcohol
(grain alcohol) as a stain removal agent. Please read the treatment instructions
below.

Water-soluble stains:
- Fruit juice, jam, gelatine, syrup,
ketchup: lukewarm water; rinse by blotting with clean water.
- Blood, egg, feces, urine: cold water (avoid warm water, which could coagulate these
substances); rinse by blotting with clean water.
- Liquor, wine, beer,
Coca-Cola, tea: lukewarm water; treat any traces of colour with lemon juice,
then rinse well.
- Copying pencil, cocoa, chocolate, custard and chocolate
sweets, ice cream, mustard: lukewarm water; rinse by blotting with clean water.
- Vinegar, hair gel, tomato sauce, coffee sweetened with sugar: lemon
juice, then lukewarm water; rinse by blotting with clean water.

NON-water-soluble stains:
- Lipstick, foundation, mascara, eye shadow, perfume, shoe polish, oil and grease, grass stains, markers (including
permanent markers): blot with ethyl alcohol, then water, and rinse. Grass and
marker stains, especially on light-coloured material, must be treated as soon as
possible to keep them from drying.
- Chewing gum and wax: put ice in a plastic bag and set it on the stain; when the substance hardens, chip it away,
then treat with ethyl alcohol.

Stubborn stains:

Try repeating the treatments described several times; even stains which are not water-soluble
often require subsequent treatment with water.

Old stains of unknown origin:

First treat with lukewarm water, then rinse by blotting with clean water.
If you see the stain begin to dissolve, repeat the treatment; let dry,
and if necessary, treat with ethyl alcohol.

loz65
07-07-2015, 09:33 PM

hi Ali. Just wondered if you'd had your misano red a6 detailed yet and have any pictures? Cheers

ali00
07-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi Loz,

sorry about the delay, had a few things come up. The A6 has been dropped off for its detail this afternoon. Will be ready for collection on Thursday so i will post some pictures then.

Here's a pre-detail picture while we wait! :) still looks stunning. Has been turning a lot more heads than my white A6 used to (if any lol)

Holymoly
09-07-2015, 07:09 AM
As far as the interior is concerned I've always found a can of Scotchguard is just as effective, and heller cheaper.

MarkTM
09-07-2015, 07:38 AM
But of course don't use standard Scotchguard on leather but this instead:

Car leather upholstery cleaner and care kit 3M Scotchguard and UV protection | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-leather-upholstery-cleaner-and-care-kit-3M-Scotchguard-and-UV-protection-/181771784554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a5271516a)

No affiliation to the seller :)

ali00
09-07-2015, 07:09 PM
A6 has been picked up today, haven't seen it myself in person yet as I am away on holiday but looks great from the pictures. Here you go:

The car will be going back to Audi on Monday as the wheels are being painted in the Gloss Black design typically exclusive to the RS6's. Will help finish off the red on black look.

If if you need any more pics, feel free to give me a shout

MarkTM
09-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Noice!!

Didn't know dealerships had paints shops. ..and surely powder coating would be more resilient?

ali00
10-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Noice!!

Didn't know dealerships had paints shops. ..and surely powder coating would be more resilient?

Don't think it's the dealerships' own paint shop per se, must be one they're affiliated with for wheel refurbs etc. Due to a mishap in my order which I shan't discuss out of courtesy, the dealership have been extremely generous and have offered to do this for me for free as well as give me a courtesy car while the car is off the road.

With powder coating, I don't have any expertise in the field so I can't really comment but my understanding was that the wheels would be fully chemically stripped and given a factory finish

loz65
10-07-2015, 10:58 PM
A6 has been picked up today, haven't seen it myself in person yet as I am away on holiday but looks great from the pictures. Here you go:

The car will be going back to Audi on Monday as the wheels are being painted in the Gloss Black design typically exclusive to the RS6's. Will help finish off the red on black look.

If if you need any more pics, feel free to give me a shout

Thanks for that - very nice. So that's with the cQuartz finest or the cQuartz uk? Not really sure what the difference is?

moraaulya
11-07-2015, 12:08 AM
I've been offered the inevitable LifeShine by Audi for £299.

Having reviewed this on various forums, it appears that I can do much better with a dedicated detailer. Apart from the issues raised regarding how this is sometimes applied, I believe it is polymer based, rather than silicon based, so is not particularly protective?

I've been to see a local detailer today and asked what the best protection he would be able to apply and he has recommended CarPro Finest ceramic coating. The total cost to prepare the car and then apply everything to both exterior and interior including all plastic trim and wheels is around £700 - not cheap, but I'm prepared to pay if it does the job! I'm particularly interested in protecting the interior, since I've specified the alcantara seats, which I'm assuming are more vulnerable to stains and his quote includes the Cquartz protection on these.

Has anyone else had this product applied to their car and have any feedback on how well it protects interior/exterior and how long it lasts?

He asked what type of alcantara the seats were? I thought there was only one type of alcantara - am I wrong? I'm assuming the Nappa leather bolsters on these seats are genuine leather - I believe most Mercedes 'leather' seats are no longer genuine?!

He has also encouraged me to tell the dealer not to wash the car when it arrives and if possible to leave the plastic protection on - I'll no doubt get some odd comments about this....

Any information/advice very welcome!

I totally agree with the Gtechniq treatment.
http://aaswall.tk/33/o.png

ali00
11-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Went with CQUK in the end. CQ finest adds a more durable layer of coating on the car and enhances the gloss levels slightly more than the standard CQuartz treatment. But I couldn't justify the price difference. Gtechniq also works very well, but I'm more of a cquartz fan.

A6ian
12-07-2015, 08:23 AM
+1 for CQuartz UK. I'll be using it again when my new Ibis white car arrives in October. I used it on my current Ibis white car, and reloaded every 3 months. Makes it so much easier to wash, and I feel it hardens up the paint a tad, can't prove this but i feel better about it.:D

BTW, I use it on the wheels too.