PDA

View Full Version : Lights for Continental Driving

mike6265
16-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Lights for Continental Driving - again.

The insructions in the manual say you can adjust for brief periods (via computer(?) system) but for longer the lights mut be adjusted by the dealer/workshop.

Now I do several trips to the continent each year and on my present Passat I have stuck the VW provided bits (just looked it up and they cost £19.73 in 2010!) on the headlamps and this works OK and make the car legal.

Has anyone driven the latest B8 on the continent and if so what do they do about the lights?

Mike

Guest 2
16-06-2015, 07:33 PM
halogen or xenon?

mike6265
16-06-2015, 09:04 PM
halogen or xenon?

Sorry not sure (I haven't got one yet and brochure not clear) it is the GT model

mike6265
14-10-2015, 01:29 PM
I have just been told Halogen headlamps need no adjusting - but I have a feeling this is not correct (as no reference in the manual)
Certainly there is a proceedure to do a short period fix for LED headlights but no clear instructions for Halogen ones.
Any information welcome.
Mike

vwcabriolet1971
14-10-2015, 05:38 PM
VW sell clear plastic ( acrylic ?) beam "benders" for some models which just snap over the existing lenses . This provides 2 functions - protects the existing lenses and blanks out the offending beam towards the opposite side of the road. These are legal in all EU countries and once bought makes it a simple matter of changing over. Some models have a lever pivot system which achieves the same result . Your dealer can advise which type you have or need.

mike6265
14-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the reply.
When I had the B5 Passat there was a lever to convert for continental use (behind the light, accessable under the bonnet but difficult to reach).
The B6 I have at present requires a VW supplied template to stick on the lens and works well.
I have checked with the two local dealers about the B8 I hope to buy but not much success.
I don't think there is a simple solution as the manual says have the lights adjusted by VW. Not very practical as I visit the continent four or five times a year.
Regards,
Mike

EssexGonzo
15-10-2015, 11:39 AM
It doesn't have to be a VW supplied template. It is very cheap and simple. A headlight is a headlight, whether it is a B6 or B8. If it has LED lights there may be a difference (and would probably have theonboard technology to change the beam pattern) but a car with halogens or xenons can use the cheap items below.

Both of these are reputable makes at half of the high street price, delivered from eBay. I used them on cars with both projector (xenon) lights and also standard halogen reflector lights. There is a fitting guide for all models inside. Make sure you put them on the correct side of the dipped light (i.e. slightly to the right as you look at the headlights, to stop the beam throwing to the left) as > 50% of the ones I see on cars are fitted on the wrong place.

ANTI-SCORCH HEADLAMP BEAM DEFLECTORS BENDERS CONVERTORS HEAD LIGHT LAMP GB PLATE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTI-SCORCH-HEADLAMP-BEAM-DEFLECTORS-BENDERS-CONVERTORS-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP-GB-PLATE-/281086800341?var=&hash=item41721431d5)

AA Beam Converters - Beam Benders - Headlamp Converters For Travel Abroad | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-Beam-Converters-Beam-Benders-Headlamp-Converters-For-Travel-Abroad-/271149887096?hash=item3f21caee78)

mike6265
15-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks Essex. After all my enquiries I suddenly realise you are quite correct - a headlight is a headlight.
I think I was getting too tied up trying to get the information from the VW manual or dealers and missed the obvious.
I will do as you suggest.
Thank you very much once again,
Mike