PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 2006 2.0 TDi rear wiper works when turned off

rob1platt
15-06-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm looking to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. A few weeks ago, I replaced a blocked washer jet on the rear wiper for a new one (a very simple pull old one off then pop new one on). Since then, my rear wiper has decided that it has a mind of its own and comes on when it feels like it, even when turned off. It sometimes even decided that it's had enough half way across the window and can't be bothered to finish the cycle.

The problem is not that it doesn't work. The problem is that it works too much! It goes off when its bone dry and I'm sure is working its way through the wiper blade and more than that - its annoying.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

rd1
15-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Yes afraid so and a new motor cured it! Mine had a mind of its own and never worked when it should do but like yours went when it felt like it. When I took the old one apart the internal gear wheel was covered in rust and it had obviously slowly been getting worse until it gave up. I got a new one from Lincoln Audi, about £86 I think.

alankru
16-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Yes, as rd1 says, you need a new motor and Lincoln Audi on ebay are the best place to get one (it is heavily discounted and a genuine part). It is a common fault on the A3s. A cause of the issue is that in winter the washer jet fluid can freeze (which is why you should use good quality washer fluid!) and whilst the hose might just pop off the motor, it can cause internal damage to the motor.