PDA

View Full Version : golf TDI 110 are they normally hard to start

sidewayz
03-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Hello,
I have just brought a Golf GT TDI red i 110bhp very standard car has a full service history but seems hard to start.
It will always start but just takes a few turns.
If you don't have your foot on the gas it will turn over quite a few times .
I had a rubbish astra diesel before this, it was falling apart but the engine would start on the first turn over.
Just wondering if this happens on all golfs or if i need to do something to mine.:1zhelp:

Regards
Alan

ini
03-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Should start straight up, but hard starting is a common TDI problem.

Could be that the static injection timing is out of spec. (position of pump/pulley)

You need to have the mechanical injection timing checked with vagcom or garage equipment, as this will effect starting.

Once running, the car will adjust injection timing accordingly.

Otherwise are all temp gauges reading ok?

Are the glowplugs ok, and air/fuel filters clean.

If timing is not the problem, try disconnecting the temp sensor and seeing how it starts.

sidewayz
03-10-2007, 01:52 PM
The car drives great and the temperature gauge seems fine.
The car was serviced last week by the previous owner. I will check the service history tonight to see if the filter was changed.

sidewayz
04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
The filters were changed in the last service so will rule that out for a moment.
I was checking the car this morning after a drive to work and i could see an air bubble in fuel hose on the front left that goes from the filter and then under the cover.

I'm having some one with Vag com to have a look at it this afternoon fingers crossed it will flag something up.

diesel nut
04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
sounds like they have left out the little seal that goes with the fuel filter ???
:beerchug::beerchug:

ini
04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Air in the fuel could explain the hard starting.

Does the problem occur when the car is warmed up, or just in the mornings.

Also check the fuel filter lower water drain & top bolt are tight.

sidewayz
04-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I had a look at the car at lunch the the fuel filter fitted is not a VW one.
Took the black T clip fitted to the top of the fuel filter off and the small rubber that is fitted to end has a very small nic in it.
Think this might be the cause so i have ordered a new filter and a rubber bit.

The starting is intermittent, this morning it started after a few turns.
Popped into Asda before work, came out and it took several turns to start it . Got to work showed a friend and it cranked over loads nothing happened. Cranked it over again for few more turns then it started.
Thought it was getting worse went out at lunch it was fine the best It has ever started 3 turn overs.

I will check " the fuel filter lower water drain & top bolt are tight" after work.
Feeling a lot better if it's just and air leak.
Thanks for the help so far!:biglaugh:

sidewayz
19-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Changed the fuel filter and the black tap, to the proper VW ones, but there is still and air leak.
Will be ordering new hoses next.

Crasher
19-10-2007, 04:08 PM
To see air bubbles in those pipes is quite normal.

andrew.butler57
19-10-2007, 06:00 PM
air in those hoses is common and not reason to worry to much! check glow plugs, see if your getting voltage to them when turnig the ignition on! your problem could be glow plug relay related! good luck!!!