PDA

View Full Version : Sunvisors

Justinos
13-06-2015, 11:01 PM
On my drive to and from work I use the sun visor pulled out to the side over the side window. However its not quite long enough to block out the sun, which is annoying on a 30 mile motorway commute.

I have seen other Audis in the past which have sunvisors that can be moved in this situation as the hinge pin is telescopic, or the visor slides out on the pin allowing it to be moved. Does anyone have this on their A6 which opens the possibility of a retrofit?

thanks

wildbore
14-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Another vote for this here. I have just moved from a Mercedes, which both had a telescopic visor so that it could be moved along the side window and - genius - there was a second visor hidden behind the main one so that you still had a front screen visor whilst the main one was doing duty on the side window.

I would really love to be able to extend my visor and would definitely do this as a retrofit.

DB22
19-06-2015, 01:50 PM
My A6 does this but it takes both hands to slide it. Are you sure that it is just not too tight to slide it easily?

Justinos
21-06-2015, 01:53 PM
No, definitely fixed, no amount of effort will get them to budge - what year/model is yours?

MarkTM
21-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Perhaps North American spec'd cars are different?

Can't anyboby just buy one of those aftermarket visor extension bits (usually made for sitting below the current visor) and do a little DIY on them to fold out at the side?

DB22
21-06-2015, 02:56 PM
2014 Prestige 3.0T

Justinos
21-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Not keen on a DIY - want an oe solution - do any UK spec cars come with a sliding/telescopic visor - if so its an easy buy from the dealers?

MarkTM
21-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I think you know you've asked a rhetorical question...so in the absence of an OE remedy am guessing you'll just have to be prepared to carry on squinting! :biglaugh:

Justinos
21-06-2015, 09:53 PM
I haven't asked at the dealer at this stage, I wanted to see if any UK cars had this option first, so I could see what the trim/model was to help narrow down the search.

MarkTM
22-06-2015, 07:19 AM
More sense would be to ask DB22 if his passenger visor has a pull-out side extender and order the American part.

If it doesn't doubtful it's available anywhere :)

DB22
22-06-2015, 01:41 PM
My sunvisor does not have a pull out extension, the whole visor slides on its mounting pole so that when you turn it 90 to the side you can slide the whole visor so that you ears don't get burnt.
BTW - in the US we get visors with a dumb no-removable sticker on them telling us that the car has an airbag. It's the price we pay for having colleges churn out lawyers who have no useful alternative at making a living.

wildbore
22-06-2015, 01:44 PM
BTW - in the US we get visors with a dumb no-removable sticker on them telling us that the car has an airbag. It's the price we pay for having colleges churn out lawyers who have no useful alternative at making a living.

Thanks to the lawyers wanting to cover themselves in this increasingly litigious world, we all get those terrible stickers nowadays.

DB22
22-06-2015, 01:51 PM
I have owned visors that slide, visors that have a pull-out extension and cars with dual visors (front and side).
If you wanted to make a car that is better than the competition then wouldn't you provide all 3 options? It's not rocket-science and it's all been done before but nobody makes the best solution and the technology hasn't changed for over 60 years.

MarkTM
22-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks to the lawyers wanting to cover themselves in this increasingly litigious world, we all get those terrible stickers nowadays.

They ARE removable, it just takes an effort, so google if you really want to (and of course it's actually your car!), not that we in the UK have much use for them often! :biglaugh:

Personally I'd forgive a lot if could to pay 80 cents a litre Americans currently enjoy, and not the $1.90 we pay in the UK.

Also, having lived stateside a few years back, most (under 40's) were amazed at how little I paid in car insurance, for example my profile picture car was then circa $400 USD per annum including business use, everyone I spoke to (all of whom had smaller engines than my V8) were paying at least 3 x that.

DB22
22-06-2015, 03:23 PM

When the US gets a dumb idea the UK adopts it and when the UK gets a dumb idea then the US adopts it. There is an attorney sitting on a beach in Hawaii laughing his a$$ of at us poor mortals.

AllotmentChap
02-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Question on sunvisors: seems like the passenger light above the sunvisor is always on when the visor is down. I thought it was only supposed to light when the mirror is open. Is there a switch I don't know about?

wildbore
02-07-2015, 11:04 AM
They ARE removable, it just takes an effort...

When I saw this, I thought: Oh, good, but it didn't look removable.

Looked last night. the warning is printed directly onto the surface of the sunvisor. Unless it can be scrubbed off? There is nothing to peel off.

Scott K
02-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Question on sunvisors: seems like the passenger light above the sunvisor is always on when the visor is down. I thought it was only supposed to light when the mirror is open. Is there a switch I don't know about?

Should only come on when the mirror is opened. It's all automatic so no switches.

DB22
02-07-2015, 02:05 PM

I don't think that I have ever used the passenger side mirror light but a clever thing on the drivers side is that when you rotate 90 to the side window, the mirror light is disabled, I would assume that the passenger visor light does the same.

AllotmentChap
13-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Figured it out.

Passenger side lights up when you pull down the visor, whether or not the mirror is open. The light goes off when you push it forward past 90 degrees - i.e., it's designed to light up when it's facing you, but push it forward as a sun visor and the light goes off.

Driver's side is the same, but the light only comes on if the mirror is open.

johnsimcox
13-07-2015, 08:17 AM
Figured it out.

Passenger side lights up when you pull down the visor, whether or not the mirror is open. The light goes off when you push it forward past 90 degrees - i.e., it's designed to light up when it's facing you, but push it forward as a sun visor and the light goes off.

Driver's side is the same, but the light only comes on if the mirror is open.

Something not right there, suspect the switch in the mirror flap is stuck on as on my 2012 car both the driver's and passenger mirror/lights work in the same way with light only working when the flap is open and the flap is at an angle where the mirror can be used

wildbore
13-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Sounds like the micro-switch in your passenger mirror cover is faulty and permanently connected. Both sides should behave in the same way: For the light to illuminate requires the visor to be down, but not too far forward, and for the mirror cover to be open.