PDA

View Full Version : RNS-315 satnav not fit for purpose?

Henrylaw
12-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Passat B7 bought ex-demo earlier this year. Now in France; discovered that quite major towns not in the gazetteer and since it doesn't allow either lat/long entry or French postcodes you literally cannot navigate to an address in those towns. (Yes I do have many large French destinations so it's not that I don't have the mapping for France).

Not taking lat/long I was grudgingly putting up with (but what about the Scottish highlands where post code areas are huge?); the inability to set current position as a location so you could get back there was pretty serious; but not actually allowing you to navigate to reasonably sized places is Sale-of-Goods actionable, I reckon.

Anyone else share this view?

ian.roger.smart
04-07-2015, 10:25 PM
It does make me wonder as my android app cost about £20 for world maps and can do lat/long. Why do car manufacturers charge so much?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

M1tchy
04-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Just don't go to France, or Scotland, both are rubbish! [emoji3]

(This is a joke before anyone get upset. Well about Scotland anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian.roger.smart
20-07-2015, 07:22 AM
i found this, have yet to try it out on mine...
RNS 315 vCard HowTo (http://rns315.blogspot.co.uk)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr Ron
09-12-2015, 10:57 AM
I recently bought a Tiguan Match and I cannot believe how primitive this unit is. Way below the standard expected for a £30k+ car. Does anyone think that VW should be taken to task over this, eg a class-action. The unit is so far below expectations that I would expect that such a legal action could be successful. The exhaust scandal shows the scorn with which VW hold their customers and this is another example.

bertj
09-12-2015, 06:23 PM
This might be of interest:

I bought a new b7 in 2011 and quickly found that the RNS-315 would only accept the first four digits of post codes which effectively made it useless. I made a lot of noise at the supplying dealer and they agreed that it was not 'fit for purpose' and eventually obtained some compensation from VW - this was £400 on a Marks & Spencer's gift card - my wife was delighted but I wasn't particularly impressed!

I bought a 2014 b7 six months ago and the only difference I could find in the satnav is that it now accepted six figure post codes. Today, I was trying to find a location in Widnes that I know has existed for at least 3 years, but the satnav wouldn't accept the last digit of the postcode. IMO the RNS-315 is total rubbish.

Anyway, I've been saving up my pennies and I'm replacing the b7 with a Merc. next week. Not on the same subject, but I'm also fed up with VW's disgraceful customer service and dealers, to say nothing of the emissions fiasco!