PDA

View Full Version : Alhambra - water in passenger footwell

Ayjay
03-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi all, I'm very new to forums, so please bear with me if I get it all wrong. Can anyone help with my problem of water in the passenger side footwell. It happened on my old (R reg) Alhambra, and it's happening on my newer one ('05 reg). Very annoying for a relatively modern car. I have read some of the comments of the same problem affecting other cars, but none relating specifically to the Alhambra. Any help would be really appreciated.

mluton
03-10-2007, 09:23 AM
On most of the cars its caused by a blocked pollen filter.

I would say its at the rear of the engine bay by the glovebox / passenger footwell.

Maybe trapped leaves.

Welcome to the forum.

Ayjay
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Crikey, I didn't expect a reply this quickly. Thanks very much - I'm on my out the door now to check your suggestion.
What a wonderful thing the internet is !!

Seat Driver
20-10-2007, 01:06 AM
There is a feed to the rear wash/wipe that runs down the near side sill. There is a joint at the footwell and the early Mk2 Alhambra had problems with this joint. The mod was to give everything a good clean, Dry the joint and secure using superglue. Hope this helps

Seat Driver

Ayjay
20-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info. When I get a few moments, I will definitely check this out....

Robin Vitiello
28-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi there. I haven't been on the site for a few months. The problem you had was exactly what I experienced about 12 months ago, and as in the previous response, it was the water feeder pipe to the rear washer. Very easy to get to, but need to make sure it is well 'stuck back together'. Biggest problem was drying out the insulation under the carpet. It took ages, but in essence simple problem simple solution. Hope you get some good weather to allow the drying out.

Regards

Robin

Ayjay
29-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you for your help. The pollen filter has now been changed as suggested earlier, and (fingers crossed) it doesn't seem to be leaking any more. But could that be just down to luck. I just haven't had the time to check this water pipe, but may have a few moments in the next week or so. Watch this space...........
Thank you to everyone for your comments!!

Keith George
15-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I have recently had the same issue of a saturated passenger footwell. I tried the suggestions of changing the Pollen filter and checking the rear windscreen washer pipe. Neither resolved my problem.

What I did find is that there is a piece of black plastic trim that is fitted around the windscreen wiper spindle and extends up the side of the winscreen covering the gap between the windscreen and the seal down the side of the windscreen.

This piece of plastic is fixed to the body by 2 lugs in the plastic that push into 2 rectangular holes in the body. This was not fitted correctly and allowed water to go in through one of the holes. Refitting the part with some sealer around the lug has resolved my issue.

All I am now left with is drying out the very thick and absorbent insulation under the carpet and trying to get rid of the aweful smell that this wet insulation has made in the car.

barmal
29-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Can someone help with instructions how to change the pollen filter on the alhambra, I have seen that Ayjay as done this but when I looked at my filter I could not see how to get it out withouty taking apart the wipers and coolant bottle and its surround.

regards

barmal

Ayjay
30-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi,
Although I personally did the job on my old R reg, due to time constraints, I got someone else to do it on my newer 05 reg. However, I think they must be along the same method of fitting.
What I had to do was remove the main bulkhead between the engine bay and the wiper mechanism. It's only three 10mm bolts and the whole thing slides out. If I remember correctly, I also loosened the expansion tank from it's moorings. The filter is held in place with a sliding plastic cover. It's fiddly, and you need fingers 8 inches long, but it can be done. When replacing the plastic cover, ensure the little locating lugs are in their right place, or the filter won't stay in place properly. As I say, this was on my old R reg, but I assume it is very similar on later models.
Good luck!