PDA

View Full Version : 2003 A3 8P 'Twitchy Steering'

keicar
11-06-2015, 05:00 PM
The OH's 80k 1.6 Sport has recently developed what I can best describe as 'twichy' steering. It only happens in a straight line on dual carriageways/motorways at speeds of 50mph+ where the steering wheel seems to grab (feels slightly notchy) almost like there is play in the steering, but at slower speeds all seems fine, no play at all and you can't replicate it, no matter how hard you rock the steering wheel.

It is a little alarming when it does happen.

Most grateful for any suggestions, the car only does about 5k a year and is still a looker, don't really want to get rid if a big bill is due (thinking steering rack)

Thanks

K

Alan02
11-06-2015, 08:07 PM
What checks, if any, have you done? Oil level of reservoir? Check for leaks? Steering joints for wear etc?

zollaf
11-06-2015, 08:18 PM
anything just been done, like new tyres for instance. tyre pressure checked , tyres checked etc...

keicar
11-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Yes sorry, have given all the boots a visual and look OK, tyre pressures checked and OK have also swapped tyres front to rear, although it did appear to be worse afterwards. As I said when using the steering vigorously as lower speeds no play is dectable,

I thought the A3 has electric power steering hence no resivour?

Thanks again

K