PDA

View Full Version : windscreen wiper problem

Eugheugh
03-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Passat TDI Sport 2002 AVF. Drivers side wiper is smearing on the downward stroke. Fitted new VAG 'bendy' wipers at considerable cost but to no avail. I've tried lubing the pivot and bending the arm makes no difference whatsoever. The missus is getting fed up with this more than me and its compromising safety. Can anybody please help :(

Frank.A
03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Give the screen a good clean with something like domestic cream cleanser to remove trasffic film buildup.

Best,
Frank

Eugheugh
03-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I've used Autoglym windscreen cleaner and it still smeared on the downstroke:(

Kansascitymilkm
23-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I've just started to get the same problem. I haven't had a chance to fully investigate but I've noticed my driver's side wiper arm is not as "springey" as the other and there is therefore not enough pressure on the screen. Not sure if the spring can be replaced - if not it therefore looks like a new arm in which case I believe you need a special tool to remove these - nothing's easy is it?!!

SMEG
24-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi,
mine does the same even with new wiper blades, plus the blades are also noisy when they change direction.
I have tried cleaning the screen with methylated spirit but this makes them judder and it is driving me mad.

Greggo
24-01-2009, 02:58 PM
a

vwturbo
24-01-2009, 03:11 PM
had same prob,in the end went on ebay got the older arms and new blades and everything is perfect,bendy wipers are crap

majordibs
23-04-2009, 02:10 AM
I have the same problem, smearing on the down stroke. Tried bending the arm slightly, not fixed. May just need to get the correct angle.

½cwt
23-04-2009, 08:26 AM
You can get a glass scrub cleaner, Comma do one under their Provison range (Along with a rain repellant and anti fog). I've found it very effective at cleaning traffic film coated screens and particularly diesel residue. Domestic cleaner can leave micro scratches on the glass causing scattered glare.

rocker1982
19-04-2010, 01:15 PM
...pair of adjustable pliers with a cloth in between and bent the wiper arm down slightly so the arm/blade was at the same angle as the passenger side...

Seems like this is a problem for a few of us. I thought it was the blades (which weren't the best when I bought the car) so I changed them for some fancy flat ones at the weekend, but still got the problem in the rain this morning, albeit not quite as bad.

When you say you bent the wiper arm DOWN, do you mean towards the screen, rather than towards the floor (which I assume would be more difficult...)?

Thanks

PeteK
19-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Mine are fine at low speeds, however the drivers side wiper doesn't clear the screen particularly well on the downward stroke at anything over 60mph.

Eugheugh
19-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't want to use anything other than a bendy (original or pattern) wiper as insurers will find anything to stall payment should you get into the unfortunate situation of having to file a claim for damage in the case of an accident. However, I find that regularly wiping the wiper blades with vinegar stops them squueking and go to a Pound shop for the wiper blades and press them into the original carriers. This is a little fiddly but worked a treat for me and cost a quid instead of £40 for OE items. Nuf said.:beerchug:

vroooOOOM
19-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I paid £1.38 for each of my wipers from Wilkinsons just mod the plastic clip i.e. rub off the lug on the original and hay presto i can afford to change em twice a year but so far I only change em every start of winter AND THEY DON'T MAKE ANY NOISE AND WIPE CLEAR !!!

Chipped2
21-04-2010, 01:40 AM
At rest the wiper blade needs to be at 90 degrees to the screen so it can 'flip' easily and equally when it changes direction. Remove the blade carrier and twist the arm to give the correct angle. Careful not to let the arm hit the sceen as it will crack it!

Check that the wiper element is not too tightly fitted into the wiper carrier and can move freely to follow the curvature of the screen.

Of course do as stated previously making sure the screen is very clean and that the wiper rubber has a crisp edge and free from residue (birdshit, tar etc). Seagull **** is full of sand so wipe it off before operating wipers to prevent scratching.