PDA

View Full Version : A6 C6 2.7 TDI Decat/Downpipe

Anthony*1989
03-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Hello guys

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a decat for my A6 C6 2.7 tdi with BPP engine

Regards

Anthony

MarkTM
03-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Not seen any for the C6, surely better to gut your existing CAT so that for MOT purposes it looks like you have one?

Or else pay an exhaust place to make one for you bespoke.

I assume you just me the CAT and not the DPF...not sure if they are combined though?

Anthony*1989
03-06-2015, 01:55 PM
If I gut it - it will still fail emissions so may as well just get a decat...besides - I know a guy who knows a guy!

I have already enquired with an exhaust fabricator - should have a quote on Friday but was just wondering if there was anything else out there.

And yes I am fortunate enough to not have a DPF on my car =D

MarkTM
03-06-2015, 02:03 PM
If I gut it - it will still fail emissions

How do you know?

zollaf
03-06-2015, 03:03 PM
If I gut it - it will still fail emissions so may as well just get a decat...besides - I know a guy who knows a guy!

I have already enquired with an exhaust fabricator - should have a quote on Friday but was just wondering if there was anything else out there.

And yes I am fortunate enough to not have a DPF on my car =D

you should find a guy that knows a guy that actually knows what the heck he is talking about.

MarkTM
03-06-2015, 03:11 PM
When I decatted my profile pic (albeit petrol) car it still passed emissions tests for petrol, it just depends on how clean your engine and innards are to start with :)

Anthony*1989
03-06-2015, 04:50 PM
How do you know?

I am only going on previous cars I have owned. If It will still pass an emissions test with a gutted cat then what is the function of the cat?

MarkTM
03-06-2015, 06:31 PM
To annoy driver behind you with that rotten egg smell? :biglaugh:

But seriously, I have looked after my profile pic car and the engine is clean, which I don't think would be as easy with a diesel.

That said Bops on here has the highest modded non DPF A6 on the forum and his emissions are (IIRC) a tenth of that allowed at the MOT test, so I suspect if he decatted (if not done already) it would be one fifth at the most of the MOT pass rate.

deanosabby
03-06-2015, 10:58 PM
I am also looking to get my cats gutted on my 2.7Tdi BPP engine and I am lead to believe that it will still pass the test as diesels are tested differently to petrol cars.
I am running a stage 2 shark remap with a custom exhaust putting out about 270bhp and 550nm of torque with the EGR valve there but permanently closed so the car is a wee bit smokier on full chat but still passes the smoke test.

Renesis
04-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Diesels cannot currently fail on emissions alone as the only test for them on the MOT is a smoke test. The emissions are not tested like petrol vehicles so you won't fail if you gut the current cat.

It will fail a visual inspection (and subsequently the MOT) if there is no cat present however, or that it is obvious that it has been removed. New rules came in to force in February 2014 stating all cars that had a cat fitted at factory must still have it installed or it's an instant failure. This didn't apply to diesels before which is why it was more commonplace. Remember it's just a visual check though, and when I removed the cat from my last car, it still passed as it was covered by the engine undertray... And testers are not keen to remove components to confirm these things.

To answer your question however, there isn't currently a manufacturer that produces decat pipes for the 2.7 tdi, so it will need to be custom made, or the better solution would be to gut your current cat for no cost.

Anthony*1989
04-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Diesels cannot currently fail on emissions alone as the only test for them on the MOT is a smoke test. The emissions are not tested like petrol vehicles so you won't fail if you gut the current cat.

It will fail a visual inspection (and subsequently the MOT) if there is no cat present however, or that it is obvious that it has been removed. New rules came in to force in February 2014 stating all cars that had a cat fitted at factory must still have it installed or it's an instant failure. This didn't apply to diesels before which is why it was more commonplace. Remember it's just a visual check though, and when I removed the cat from my last car, it still passed as it was covered by the engine undertray... And testers are not keen to remove components to confirm these things.

To answer your question however, there isn't currently a manufacturer that produces decat pipes for the 2.7 tdi, so it will need to be custom made, or the better solution would be to gut your current cat for no cost.

If I gut the cat/get decat... will it through and engine code up...?

MarkTM
04-06-2015, 12:42 PM
I know that an EGR delete will (these should be done with a remap and coded out), however am unsure if the sensors are that sensitive, if it does it will be the standard MIL which I don't believe is an MOT fail.

bops6
05-06-2015, 06:40 AM
Guess what Mark, I am de catted.
Have since passed several genuine Mot without the need to'know someone'
I had my cat gutted so looks like still present and emission are still spot on.
My opinion is don't bother getting decat pipe made (none available off shelf) as will fail mot on visual inspection

2007 3.0tdi le mans
hybrid turbo, decat,miltek, 20's etc
330-350 bhp
450-500lbst