PDA

View Full Version : Pan Roof and Rain

Donmeister
26-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Curently waiting on a C7 avant being built with a Pan Roof in the spec. Last sat i was in my mates new CLS merc which has a sun roof. He was telling me that when it rains, it automatically closed. Forgot to ask if this was while driving or if parked, the ignition had to be on. Anyway, question is, do Audi's perform the same trick?

chesterfield
26-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Ah well, nowt better to do and I'm not tired for bed yet. I'll have a play and report back....

chesterfield
26-05-2015, 11:40 PM
My survey says "No".

Tested as follows :

Car ignition on, engine not started, sunroof open, wipers on auto mode.

Checked by flicking water on the sensor for a while, the wipers activated, but sunroof never closed.

Turned off ignition and locked the car (sunroof still left open). Tried flicking water on the sensors again and the wipers did not activate (they wouldn't be expected to with ignition off), however the sunroof still did not close.

I assume that we do not have this feature. Unless it needs to detect rain for a length of time before closing, but I gave it a good 30 seconds of water flicking.

Oh well.

Donmeister
27-05-2015, 02:33 AM
Thank you Chesterfield for a very thorough scientific analysis of the response of the Audi Pan roof to precipitation!! - one for the next face lift!

chesterfield
27-05-2015, 07:28 AM
I've seen from some googling that it may be possible to activate this via VCDS on passats or mk VI golfs etc, so all hope is not lost on this I would think.

Its maybe one for the VCDS techies to have a play with.

CharlesElliott
27-05-2015, 08:24 AM
If you hold down the lock button on the keyfob, it will close (not the same thing, but relevant to the roof!)

MarkTM
27-05-2015, 11:01 AM
I think it will activate if the car is locked with roof open...or at least it works this way on American VW's according to You tube.

Would have thought a gust of wind would cause the alarm to sound though?

johnsimcox
27-05-2015, 11:34 AM
I think it will activate if the car is locked with roof open...or at least it works this way on American VW's according to You tube.

Would have thought a gust of wind would cause the alarm to sound though?
Button on trailing edge of driver's door (on UK spec cars at least) to disable motion/air pressure sensor part of alarm system

chesterfield
27-05-2015, 02:20 PM
I tried that. Roof open, car locked. poured water on the sensor and nothing happened.

Admitted, I did not wait until the headlights had turned off or indeed deactivated the alarm. Perhaps both of these could affect it as closing the sunroof could set the alarm off, and it may not start monitoring for rain until after the headlights have turned off etc.

I think test MK 2 is in order later.

wildbore
27-05-2015, 06:13 PM
I tried that. Roof open, car locked. poured water on the sensor and nothing happened.

Admitted, I did not wait until the headlights had turned off or indeed deactivated the alarm. Perhaps both of these could affect it as closing the sunroof could set the alarm off, and it may not start monitoring for rain until after the headlights have turned off etc.

I think test MK 2 is in order later.

Hmmm. I think it's a bit rich, Chesterfield, that you criticised me for devoting time to the task of getting my best fuel consumption figure if you've got time to run not just one but two tests to ascertain the function of an open sunroof in rainy weather. I suspect both research projects would make equally interesting - or dull - theses.:D

chesterfield
28-05-2015, 01:02 AM
Yes you, you sod. I had a run to the coast and back at the weekend, A and B roads and managed only 26.9. Though I couldn't resist a bit of right foot on a few occasions.

wildbore
28-05-2015, 07:15 AM
Yes you, you sod. I had a run to the coast and back at the weekend, A and B roads and managed only 26.9. Though I couldn't resist a bit of right foot on a few occasions.

Excellent, economical fuel consumption! Was your wife with you at the time? I always find that having my wife in the passenger seat adds a good 2-3 onto the mpg figure!

chesterfield
28-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Wife, 3 yr old, 11 myth old, pushchair, bucket and spade.

I blame it on the weight of the kids. Could have aimed for 30 otherwise I reckon.

Anyway, did not get chance to do a second test on the roof yesterday, will see what time I get today. :)

AudiNow
28-05-2015, 11:15 AM

Chesterfield, I thought you had an RS6?? If so, how did you get that mpg figure?

wildbore
28-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Chesterfield, I thought you had an RS6?? If so, how did you get that mpg figure?

Someone posted a 32mpg over on the RS forum, and I got just over 30 on a long drive recently, so Chesterfield's 26.9 shows he still has a long way to go taming that right foot of his!

AudiNow
28-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Someone posted a 32mpg over on the RS forum, and I got just over 30 on a long drive recently, so Chesterfield's 26.9 shows he still has a long way to go taming that right foot of his!

That's incredible I had an RS6 for a couple of years and my average mpg was about 22 and on motorways the best I think I ever saw was 26.5

How on earth did someone get 32!!

wildbore
28-05-2015, 11:52 AM
That's incredible I had an RS6 for a couple of years and my average mpg was about 22 and on motorways the best I think I ever saw was 26.5

How on earth did someone get 32!!

Was that the V10? I understand they were rather prone to heavy drinking. The V8 has a 4-cylinder mode that shuts down half the cylinders, improving fuel economy, and the engine has, of course, benefited from the latest fuel optimisation tweaks (the FL delivers a little better economy than the pre-FL, too).

My 30mpg was with ACC on, which isn't particularly economical, and I wasn't particularly trying, either (including an exit "sprint" from the M6 toll booths - I am sure a well-placed camera there would earn more in revenues than any other camera location in the country).

AudiNow
28-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Was that the V10? I understand they were rather prone to heavy drinking. The V8 has a 4-cylinder mode that shuts down half the cylinders, improving fuel economy, and the engine has, of course, benefited from the latest fuel optimisation tweaks (the FL delivers a little better economy than the pre-FL, too).

My 30mpg was with ACC on, which isn't particularly economical, and I wasn't particularly trying, either (including an exit "sprint" from the M6 toll booths - I am sure a well-placed camera there would earn more in revenues than any other camera location in the country).

Nope it was a 2013 model. Ok it didnt do that much motorway driving but it was mainly A roads and some B road

I wasnt driving fast either

When I spoke to Audi Dealership he said an average of 22 was really good for an RS6

I just dont get how you have got in the 30's unless you are only doing motorway with long journeys

Is 30 your average?

chesterfield
28-05-2015, 02:48 PM
I used ACC for most of the trip, there was standing traffic on a few occasions (getting used to the car slowing down to a stop on its own takes some time). The stop start kicked in most of the time though on those. Not very many overly long stretched and only a handful of 70mph roads. Most were 60 or 50 with caravans on too. Ive no doubt that over 30 could be obtained if the trip included quite a bit of motorway, no doubt at all.

Ill eat humble pie from wildbore and say that Im going to give this a go at some point too. Im fairly confident that with some effort that 35 on a long run is a distinct possibility. However you will need VERY strong willpower to drive the car like that. First time you get cut up by some boy racer or a rep in their 320d and you can kiss 30mpg goodbye.

Probably also worth mentioning mine has just clicked over 2k miles, so may not yet be fully loose.

AudiNow
28-05-2015, 03:07 PM
I used ACC for most of the trip, there was standing traffic on a few occasions (getting used to the car slowing down to a stop on its own takes some time). The stop start kicked in most of the time though on those. Not very many overly long stretched and only a handful of 70mph roads. Most were 60 or 50 with caravans on too. Ive no doubt that over 30 could be obtained if the trip included quite a bit of motorway, no doubt at all.

Ill eat humble pie from wildbore and say that Im going to give this a go at some point too. Im fairly confident that with some effort that 35 on a long run is a distinct possibility. However you will need VERY strong willpower to drive the car like that. First time you get cut up by some boy racer or a rep in their 320d and you can kiss 30mpg goodbye.

Probably also worth mentioning mine has just clicked over 2k miles, so may not yet be fully loose.

Chesterfield, I find this amazing. It sounds like you have very simialr driving to me. Maybe I have a bit more town driving as well but genuinely I dont understand how you have managed to get such good mpg

I have done over 21k miles at its sitting at 22mpg and that was driven very normally

Have you got the FL model?

Mine was the 2013 V8 model so not sure if that makes such a difference

I must add I got it when it was 1000 miles in as it was x demo so wonder if that had something to do with it?

wildbore
28-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Chesterfield, I find this amazing. It sounds like you have very simialr driving to me. Maybe I have a bit more town driving as well but genuinely I dont understand how you have managed to get such good mpg

I have done over 21k miles at its sitting at 22mpg and that was driven very normally

Have you got the FL model?

Mine was the 2013 V8 model so not sure if that makes such a difference

I must add I got it when it was 1000 miles in as it was x demo so wonder if that had something to do with it?

I think you are spot-on. My 30mpg was a one-off journey value and it was entirely motorway for 200 miles (ACC on and set to 75, not particularly trying to drive economically, and the M6 Toll drag race exit to dent the figure a bit, plus a couple of other slip-road related pops). Yesterday, I did 100 miles of almost entirely motorway or dual carriageway and hit 26.5, which is more my typical average for a long, motorway-centric journey.

My long term average is around 22. My car has 2000 miles on the clock.

There was a small gain in economy with the FL but it is probably not detectable in any meaningful way.

AudiNow
28-05-2015, 03:19 PM
I think you are spot-on. My 30mpg was a one-off journey value and it was entirely motorway for 200 miles (ACC on and set to 75, not particularly trying to drive economically, and the M6 Toll drag race exit to dent the figure a bit, plus a couple of other slip-road related pops). Yesterday, I did 100 miles of almost entirely motorway or dual carriageway and hit 26.5, which is more my typical average for a long, motorway-centric journey.

My long term average is around 22. My car has 2000 miles on the clock.

There was a small gain in economy with the FL but it is probably not detectable in any meaningful way.

That makes more sense....That sounds very similar to what I was getting

To be honest due to the number of miles I was doing was the reason I sold it

Sad day but had to be realistic

chesterfield
28-05-2015, 04:29 PM
My average is a little under 18mpg for the last 2000. That includes the running in and then having a play. The trip to the coast (Skegness from Chesterfield), was the first long ish run the car has been on where I could use cruise for any length of time. it was a 160 mile round trip.

Mine is a facelift model. Though Im not sure its that much more economical than the pre facelift - the CO2 figures would suggest any huge improvement. Probably just a massage of the figures or slightly more eager stop start to get the cars below the relevant tax thresholds and keep them attractive to company car drivers (the whole range not just the 4L V8).

jukkha156
29-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Wife, 3 yr old, 11 myth old, pushchair, bucket and spade.

I blame it on the weight of the kids. Could have aimed for 30 otherwise I reckon.

Anyway, did not get chance to do a second test on the roof yesterday, will see what time I get today. :)

Similar age to my kids but you so have the ultimate dream car.

Any chance of more pics of your beast in a road trip kind of way? i.e. showing all the gear in the back etc!

Also what is the pan roof like from the rear? does it really stretch to the back as pics i have seen so far suggest it doesn't? any chance of pics from inside the car from the rear? I would love to select pan roof if i order another A6 avant next year :)

whitter45
29-05-2015, 10:18 AM
it was an option on the golfs but VAG removed as its drains the battery

Basically the rain sensor is always active if enabled, even when the car is locked and over a long period can drain the battery

chesterfield
29-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Similar age to my kids but you so have the ultimate dream car.

Any chance of more pics of your beast in a road trip kind of way? i.e. showing all the gear in the back etc!

Also what is the pan roof like from the rear? does it really stretch to the back as pics i have seen so far suggest it doesn't? any chance of pics from inside the car from the rear? I would love to select pan roof if i order another A6 avant next year :)

Thanks, I do consider it a jack of all trades and has been a great replacement for the F430 that I sold a few years ago due to not being used because of impending family. Its done more miles in three months than I did in the ferrari in about two years.

No problem on the pics, Ill see what I can do. I just unloaded the gear this morning back into the wifes S-max. The glass doesnt go all the way back, although it certainly makes the cabin feel more open it is not by any stretch a "full" glass roof. The front seat occupants barely notice the difference to just a standard sunroof in any other car. There is also a black bar across the middle due to the opening front section of the glass - this is in the glass roof however, it is not a section of interia that forms two sunroofs like in other cars.

Ive yet to convince the wife that I need a 56Nord roof box, which will of course then just obscure the sunroof anyway - but Im more likely to get that past her than the 67 Mustang Eleanor recreation that I wanted to buy and import from Ireland last week. Thats got to wait a year Im told.

wildbore
29-05-2015, 03:29 PM

Pics of an RS6 packed for a road trip? How about one packed for a tip trip?

http://forum.rs246.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=281&image_id=1762

jukkha156
29-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I do consider it a jack of all trades and has been a great replacement for the F430 that I sold a few years ago due to not being used because of impending family. Its done more miles in three months than I did in the ferrari in about two years.

No problem on the pics, Ill see what I can do. I just unloaded the gear this morning back into the wifes S-max. The glass doesnt go all the way back, although it certainly makes the cabin feel more open it is not by any stretch a "full" glass roof. The front seat occupants barely notice the difference to just a standard sunroof in any other car. There is also a black bar across the middle due to the opening front section of the glass - this is in the glass roof however, it is not a section of interia that forms two sunroofs like in other cars.

Ive yet to convince the wife that I need a 56Nord roof box, which will of course then just obscure the sunroof anyway - but Im more likely to get that past her than the 67 Mustang Eleanor recreation that I wanted to buy and import from Ireland last week. Thats got to wait a year Im told.

Brilliant, thanks for that Chesterfield and the heads up ref the pan roof. LOL at the Nord box. You so have the ultimate vehicle. I really think the RS6 is the best car in the world. It really has every other car covered. Can't wait for the pics and continued reports.

jukkha156
29-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Pics of an RS6 packed for a road trip? How about one packed for a tip trip?

HAHAHA, Oh my daze, love it.

fest0r
03-06-2015, 04:47 PM
First thought was wildbore’s been caught :biglaugh:

Speeding motorist caught driving at 149MPH on M6 motorway by police | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3109121/Speeding-motorist-stopped-police-caught-driving-149MPH-M6-motorway.html)

wildbore
03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
First thought was wildbore’s been caught :biglaugh:

Speeding motorist caught driving at 149MPH on M6 motorway by police | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3109121/Speeding-motorist-stopped-police-caught-driving-149MPH-M6-motorway.html)

A run up to 149 would have seriously dented the car's average mpg figure and, as a result, I cannot condone these sorts of speeds.