PDA

View Full Version : a6 c7 power folding mirror retrofit

sureshkhirwadka
24-05-2015, 10:19 PM
hi guys first post. just bought myself an a6 c7 2011 and interested in doing the power folding mirror retrofit. found some basic info on these forums and general net but nothing really quite specific to the C7 A6. searching didn't seem to bring up much either.

does anyone have any links to reasonable DIY guides? also if anyone has part numbers for either the mirrors or just the powered bases that'd be great!

Guest 2
24-05-2015, 10:25 PM
You may also need 2x door controllers if your current ones don't support power folding.

It's a lot of £ for very little function and especially as you can fold them manually!

fest0r
24-05-2015, 11:09 PM
The lack of DIY info is strange, but as Chris said it’s quite an expense. Your local Audi parts desk should be able to help with all the part numbers although if you have a reg from an A6 with folding mirrors it would help. Looks like you will also need the new switch and surrounding door trim. Also some coding with VCDS. If you are going down the new parts route though you might consider hazzydayz:

GENUINE AUDI AUTO FOLDING MIRRORS (http://hazzydayz.com/genuine-audi-auto-folding-mirrors-602-p.asp)

I’m sure they get quite a discount on the parts they buy and it might be worth the cost of 2-3 hours labour for the 2 year warranty.

If you’re opting for used parts then breakers are looking for £450 - £500 for a set of mirrors on ebay and they seem rare:

Audi A6 C7 2011-2014 RIGHT OR LEFT WING MIRROR ELECTRIC POWER FOLDING | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A6-C7-2011-2014-RIGHT-OR-LEFT-WING-MIRROR-ELECTRIC-POWER-FOLDING-/281693333798)

I’m sure if you message the seller they would confirm the part number. Depending what else is needed you could be looking at £600 for second hand parts.

Kufatec do a kit for £650 (exc shipping) but only for left hand drive and they mention “Compatibility of the door control unit need to be checked”:

Complete set folding mirror Audi A6 4G-40653 (http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/audi/a6/a6-4g/complete-set-folding-mirror-audi-a6-4g?tab=frage)

It would be interesting to see how much Audi would charge for a mirror assembly :aargh4:

sureshkhirwadka
25-05-2015, 05:24 AM
yeah i know its a little expensive, but I'd still really like to explore it. I'll ask the audi parts desk see what they say. I did email a few of the breakers listing parts on eBay, and all they said was 'we think its the power folding'...hardly guaranteed.

edit: found some reasonably priced ones on ebay.de but they are obviously all LHD versions. from the pics I see both the n/s and o/s ones look the same, but are they likely to be problematic with viewing angles in a RHD car?

sureshkhirwadka
30-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Well I got a quote for £133+ vat for each power folding assembly from Audi. Not bad really, but struggling to work out how to remove the wing mirror housing, so any help appreciated.

does anyone have detailed info on how to do it? I removed the mirror ok, unscrewed the 2 housing retention screws and unhooked all the clips I could find, but still can't get the housing off and it feels attached somewhere at the front (towards front of car) near the door but can't see any screws or clips there. Feels as if itll give if I push hard enough, but that something will snap.

fest0r
30-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Did they say if door controllers would be needed and what about the new switch and trim panel?

sureshkhirwadka
30-05-2015, 06:52 PM
They wouldn't entertain the retrofit or what parts would be needed, just how much the assembly would be as this is the only part I was struggling to find online.

I assume there is someone on here who knows how to remove the mirror housing??

The part that seems stuck is front bottom left.

Guest 2
30-05-2015, 06:55 PM
£133+VAT seems quite cheap for a folding base.

How did they find the base? Via a manually supplied part number or VIN?

sureshkhirwadka
30-05-2015, 07:10 PM
By reg number. They wouldn't give me part number but confirmed it was the assembly for the power folding mirrors for the a6 c7.

It does seem cheap which is why I'm keen to diy it...just need to get the housing off.

fest0r
30-05-2015, 07:18 PM
So what’s the plan for the rest of the parts and VCDS coding etc? If you only change the bases over it just means you can’t manually fold the mirrors… or am I missing something?

I also suspect at that price (and limited info) it might be just the plastic base and no motor etc.

sureshkhirwadka
30-05-2015, 07:26 PM
I was going to see how to remove the housing then decide whether to go ahead with it or not. I suspected it was not the full motor etc also but they assured me it was. I would obviously get the other parts, coding etc.

edit: may just go the hazzydays route and sell the old parts to recoup some of the cost, though don't know what bits they would use and what any resale of the existing parts would be...not sure it's really worth £600 though.

Guest 2
30-05-2015, 08:58 PM
By reg number. They wouldn't give me part number but confirmed it was the assembly for the power folding mirrors for the a6 c7.

It does seem cheap which is why I'm keen to diy it...just need to get the housing off.

Your reg number? They will only quote you on whats fitted to your particular car in factory spec.

sureshkhirwadka
30-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Well that's what I thought, but when I asked them they said definitely was the powered assembly not the manual one.

tbh lack of info means I'll probably not bother with it and just fold them manually ��

AllotmentChap
01-06-2015, 08:49 AM
I was slightly annoyed to find that my 2012 Allroad had totally fixed mirrors - they don't even fold manually. I'd assumed that folding mirrors would be standard on such a well-specced base car, so never bothered checking until after I'd collected it. :(

In the end, it's no big deal - I didn't really fold the mirrors on my previous car that often, so I can probably live without, and I rarely park the car where it'd be at risk of getting clipped.

I spoke to the dealer who said it'd be £450-600 to get the folding mirrors supplied and retro-fitted by them, so I figure I'll live with them fixed, and if anyone ever clips one, I'll claim on my insurance (since the heated mirror units cost a couple of hundred anyway....) and then chuck in some extra cash to upgrade to folding mirrors then.

johnsimcox
01-06-2015, 09:06 AM
I was slightly annoyed to find that my 2012 Allroad had totally fixed mirrors - they don't even fold manually. I'd assumed that folding mirrors would be standard on such a well-specced base car, so never bothered checking until after I'd collected it. :(

In the end, it's no big deal - I didn't really fold the mirrors on my previous car that often, so I can probably live without, and I rarely park the car where it'd be at risk of getting clipped.

I spoke to the dealer who said it'd be £450-600 to get the folding mirrors supplied and retro-fitted by them, so I figure I'll live with them fixed, and if anyone ever clips one, I'll claim on my insurance (since the heated mirror units cost a couple of hundred anyway....) and then chuck in some extra cash to upgrade to folding mirrors then.
They can be folded in once you get out the of the car. It just requires a good push on the mirror to overcome the catch

AllotmentChap
01-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Really? I gave them a good heft but was wary of breaking something - and they don't look like they have a hinge. I'd have expected the dealer to have told me they could fold if that was a possibility (but then maybe he didn't know, because dealer ;)). I'll give it another go tonight.

fest0r
01-06-2015, 11:50 AM
£450-£600 is a great price for a dealer retrofit. Is it possible that was for parts only?

AllotmentChap
01-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Very possible. It's also possible that it was pure fantasy - given that it came from the dealer. ;)

(Cue joke: how do you know when a dealer is lying? His lips are moving)

AllotmentChap
02-06-2015, 06:42 AM
They can be folded in once you get out the of the car. It just requires a good push on the mirror to overcome the catch
You're right! Just needed to give it a bit of extra welly. Thanks!