PDA

View Full Version : Pagid pads/discs - vibration when hot

b206
20-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Hello,
I replaced my pads/discs a while ago now (March). This started since day one, but I haven't really got anywhere with Pagid - so thought I'd try here for a bit of advice.

When the pads/discs are cool/warm they are perfect (around town) but I do a lot of B road driving so they can get a tad hot! When they are hot the vibration is appalling - the steering wheel violently shakes along with the car body - feels like the car is going to shake itself apart :aargh4:

I had my alloys cleaned/polished and waxed the other day - I have driven 40 miles and they are now plastered in brake "debris" - see attached photos. I expect brake dust - but this looks like the pads are gradually disintegrating ?

I have contacted Pagid who say send them back for testing - I live in the middle of nowhere so need my car. I also don’t want to be without the car for a week only for them to send the pads back and say nothing is wrong!

What would you gents do ? Buy a new set of pads from a different manufacturer ? or ask Pagid to replace ? Cheers

Embisix
20-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Get new discs pads asap and try to avoid driving it as much as possible until replaced. The vibration will be stressing steering and suspension components, even wheel bearings. You could be causing untold damage . Replace asap and send duff parts to Pagid. If you get nowhere with them at least your car won't be mullered.....

zollaf
20-05-2015, 04:05 PM
did you clean the hub mating face before fitting the discs and have you ever checked the discs to see if there is any excessive runout. its very very nusual to have a new disc, especially from an oe supplier such as pagid, to have a fault. i would say you have a disc not sat flat on the hub which is causing the problem. obvioulsy this wouldn't be covered under warranty and would e put down to a fitting error. the dust on the wheel looks normal to me, especially if you use the brakes 'enthusiastically'.

b206
21-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Yep, I cleaned the hub surface before installing the new discs.
It's only when hot - so if it was a warped disc or disc not sitting correctly it would happen all the time ?

Anyway - I spent a couple hours this morning dismanlting the brakes again! When I removed the caliper the pad which clips into the piston fell out - the clip for whatever reason doesn't stay put. I've spread the clip and the pad now stays in place - but I assume this will keep happening as they were fine when first installed. Must be a dodgy clip ? Seems to have fixed the vibration for now.

Stonner
21-05-2015, 05:49 PM
I've used Pagid pads (and discs) for over 16 years and never seen anything like the amount of dust you've had. I'm wondering if the vibration might be caused by the pads moving as the calliper heats up. I know when I did my pads last the clips had to be persuaded with a screwdriver and pinged off quite violently. Getting them back was a pain as well.

zollaf
21-05-2015, 07:23 PM
or a caliper is sticking and holding the brakes on.