PDA

View Full Version : New wheels don't fit, they should!!

DazNicholl
13-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi

Just bought some wheels to swap for the 5 arm rotors currently fitted.

Current wheels are 8.5J x 20" x ET45 running 255x35 tyres.

New wheels are 9J x 20" x ET42 running same size tyres.

When the wheel turns it catches (at the front) on one of the bolts of the brake caliper, I'm glad I noticed this before even taking the car down off the jack or it could have caused damage to the caliper if I'd attempted to drive.

I thought an ET42 would sit further out than an ET45, so did the garage that supplied them.

An option would be wheel spacers but I've used them before and didn't like them, caused vibrations at higher speeds even though they were hubcentric and fitted properly, tightening the bolts up to the correct torque in a star fashion etc...

DazNicholl
13-05-2015, 03:16 PM

zollaf
13-05-2015, 03:19 PM
thats down to the design of the wheel and not the offset, although more metal at the flange would push them out and they would probably work

DazNicholl
13-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Do you think an even lower offset would work then, say 37 or 35?

chesterfield
13-05-2015, 04:29 PM
The wheel rim is about 13mm wider (half an inch), and its been pushed out 3mm, so by my fuddly Wednesday afternoon head, there is still about 3.5mm extra wheel inbound, this with the deisgn of the rim (looks like flat spokes without any bow to the rear that would clear the caliper), could cause the collision as you show.

If its the same design you want, then youll need to know the extra distance you need to have that design clear the caliper - and I wouldn't want it clearing by just a couple of mm if it were me, then youll have to adjust your offset to suit. If it needs an extra 10mm, then the offset would need to be reduced by this - so perhaps an offset down near 30mm. But with the design of the rim/spokes you may just increase the dish size on the rim and the spokes may stay exactly where they are, which will resolve naff all, and probably push the tire outward of the bodywork. Then youll be complaining of rubbing the arch on full lock.

DazNicholl
13-05-2015, 06:12 PM
The wheels are only a fraction out, the touch a bolt in the front caliper and they're not that far off really. Supplier has offered me a pair of 5mm spacers to move them out to be more like at ET37, which I think will be more than enough.

zollaf
13-05-2015, 09:36 PM
a 5mm spacer will mean the wheel no longer locks onto the hub. these are dangerous and i don't think you will like them.

JimC64
14-05-2015, 01:38 AM
The wheels are only a fraction out, the touch a bolt in the front caliper and they're not that far off really. Supplier has offered me a pair of 5mm spacers to move them out to be more like at ET37, which I think will be more than enough.

Zollaf is bang on mate, a 5mm spacer is NOT hubcentric and could be dangerous, not advised!!
You say you've had hubcentric spacers before and didn't like them?
Well if you didn't like them, chances are you'll hate these.
My advice is to steer clear

DazN
14-05-2015, 05:52 AM
I do have my doubts about them, the last ones I had were 10/8 mm H&R hubcentric spacers and I didn't leave them on for long.

I know they sell from 3mm in a hubcentric type so maybe they'll be OK. Then again I'm starting to change the car setup so I'm not sure it's the right thing to be doing. A proper fitting wheel would be much better!?