PDA

View Full Version : Music....

djmx5
01-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Right....now i have the B8 with all ways to play tunes....but not being the slightest bit interested in I.T generally I would like to know how the SD card slot works...ie, how do I put songs from itunes onto an SD card, and/or, what cable type do I need to play an ipod touch?

I asked the sales guy during the very informative handover, but he said no cables had yet been delivered for the B8, and had no idea about SD cards really.

Looks like Radio 4 then.....

I know there are posts on other forums generally about this issue but none of them relate to the B8 systems and I don't know if or how they differ.

Its the business model if that helps......So if there are any clever I.T owners out there...

Thanks
D

Oh by the way the car seems ok. Quite firm ride, faster than the B5 but also has comfy seats. All sorts of symbols flashing during the drive, will have to look them up.

P Adams
01-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Right....now i have the B8 with all ways to play tunes....but not being the slightest bit interested in I.T generally I would like to know how the SD card slot works...ie, how do I put songs from itunes onto an SD card, and/or, what cable type do I need to play an ipod touch?

I asked the sales guy during the very informative handover, but he said no cables had yet been delivered for the B8, and had no idea about SD cards really.

Looks like Radio 4 then.....

I know there are posts on other forums generally about this issue but none of them relate to the B8 systems and I don't know if or how they differ.

Its the business model if that helps......So if there are any clever I.T owners out there...

Thanks
D

Oh by the way the car seems ok. Quite firm ride, faster than the B5 but also has comfy seats. All sorts of symbols flashing during the drive, will have to look them up.

OK, you need a standard Apple 30-pin to USB Cable to connect your iPod to the USB connection in the arm rest if its an older iPod. Or a Lightning to USB Cable if its a newer style iPod. You should have either one of the cables when you bought the iPod.

I've got an iPod Touch generation 3 in my GT B8 connected with a 30-pin to USB cable with Apple Lossless encoded tracks from my iTunes app on my iMac. It sounds great.

I also have a 32GB SD card plugged into one of the SD slots in the glovebox. I have the tracks on that encoded as AAC files (MPEG-4) from iTunes and they sound good as well. There are various tutorials on Apple's website / discussion forum on how to convert / get your tracks onto a suitable SD card.

djmx5
02-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Okay thanks, that gives me a good starting point.
Cheers
D

djmx5
05-05-2015, 05:35 PM
surprisingly easy to transfer from iTunes to SD card, just drag and drop. Thought it would be a mission. All the info for artist/song/album is displayed and grouped together as desired. Easy to search through the screen menu.

P Adams
05-05-2015, 10:48 PM
surprisingly easy to transfer from iTunes to SD card, just drag and drop. Thought it would be a mission. All the info for artist/song/album is displayed and grouped together as desired. Easy to search through the screen menu.

Excellent news! Yes I had all my tracks saved as Apple lossless on my iMac so had to convert to AAC and then drag and drop onto the card. Loving the new system with iPod and SD card. Hope you are enjoying your car

djmx5
06-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks….Not sure about Apple Lossless and ACC, bit like you I have the iMac and evidently it speaks the same language as the car. All Okay now. Not very confident with IT really and not my bag in any case. However the car is a joy so far, miles away from my B5 technically and also in terms of ride.

I have switched through the driving modes but if I'm honest, I can't tell the difference.

The ACC takes some getting used to…..autonomous driving…..I need more faith.

Still fiddling about with some of the features and gizmos on the car, only had it a week now.

Ultimately I hope it proves to be as good a car as my last but only time will out I guess.

What did you get?
D

P Adams
07-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi D

We got a Tungsten Silver GT 2.0 TDI 150PS saloon with premium LED headlights and Dynamic Chassis Control. It's superb!

chucky
09-05-2015, 10:41 AM
What is the standard sound system like? Am thinking of going for the Dynaudio, wondering is it worth it.

djmx5
09-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Hi...difficult to describe music reproduction quality especially without having heard the upgrade, but i can listen to rock loud enough for my ears. Radio 4 is also a nice tone. guess you have to go and check it out really.
D

Jws1
31-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know how 8 speakers are counted on the standard sound system? The one in the middle of the dash means I get 9... Unless that's a sub and thus not counted as a 'speaker'?

Crawshy
02-09-2015, 12:23 PM
There is a speaker in the top of each door and then one at the bottom of each door - so there's your 8, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a sub under the dash and believe this is just there for if you had the Dynaudio pack, makes sense not to make two different dashboard covers, my Volvo V60 had the same

On the question of sound quality so I've got the standard offering and moving from a V60 with High Performance Audio I do notice a slight reduction in the quality, but its not so noticeable its just a bit less bassey and not quite as crisp sounding, though this might just be down to the settings I currently have. However it is much better than other standard audio systems I've tried including my in-laws Amorak.

Jws1
02-09-2015, 02:00 PM
That makes sense and explains it!

My old s60 had the upgraded sound system with a lot of speakers and as you say the Passat standard sound system is not far off that.

I tried a c class with fully upgraded sound system and the Passat beats that easily. Far crisper and controlled. Definitely don't feel the need to get the dyno upgrade when I order mine.