PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 1.6 Timing Belt Change

lithium
20-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Hi Guys

I have googled and searched the forums but I have yet found an accurate answer.

I would like to sell my Audi A3 1.6 MY2007 however the timing belt change is over due so... I would like to get this job done before selling the car however the prices I have been receiving seem rather steep, certainly compared to other car models of similar build.

Would anyone have recommendations as to where to have this done at a competitive price - I am in the Oxford area but willing to travel for the right price. Also I would like to have a service included to stamp the book up before the selling the car.

'Best' price so far is £450 for timing belt & water pump, £89 for a service.

Many Thanks

SammoVWT
21-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Depends on the garage - I use a local motorsport garage - for my tiny 1.6 it cost me £120.00 plus parts which I paid for myself (£40-£50 for the waterpump & cambelt kit)

Lots of room in my bay to change, no need to drop or raise the engine on this which helps a lot with labour cost.

Rob69
21-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Hi Guys

I have googled and searched the forums but I have yet found an accurate answer.

I would like to sell my Audi A3 1.6 MY2007 however the timing belt change is over due so... I would like to get this job done before selling the car however the prices I have been receiving seem rather steep, certainly compared to other car models of similar build.

Would anyone have recommendations as to where to have this done at a competitive price - I am in the Oxford area but willing to travel for the right price. Also I would like to have a service included to stamp the book up before the selling the car.

'Best' price so far is £450 for timing belt & water pump, £89 for a service.

Many Thanks

450 sounds steep, dealership or indy garage? - what is their hourly rate and how many hours are they quoting for the job ?, relatively straightforward belt / pump to do, maybe 3, 4 hours max? took me about 4 to do 1.6, at a leisurely pace with tea on a sunny day.

Doctle Odd
21-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Takes 2 hours max to do the belt and pump on these especially if you've done a few. A good indie will come in under £200.00 to supply and fit them. Buy Gates!!!!

Rob69
21-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Takes 2 hours max to do the belt and pump on these especially if you've done a few. A good indie will come in under £200.00 to supply and fit them. Buy Gates!!!!

I must have had a few tea breaks then !

Doctle Odd
21-04-2015, 12:59 PM
I must have had a few tea breaks then !

It's like everything mate if you're doing the same thing over and over you get a bit better at it, nowt wrong with tea breaks either :)

Rob69
21-04-2015, 08:19 PM
sunny day as well, and you always find a few odds and ends to tidy up once you're in elbow deep.

Doctle Odd
21-04-2015, 08:31 PM
sunny day as well, and you always find a few odds and ends to tidy up once you're in elbow deep.

Yes always stuff to do and stuff to think about. I was thinking today about tomatoes and how anything that says tomato on it doesn't taste remotely like tomatoes. E.G. ketchup, tomato soup, bloody Mary etc. I've told Mrs Odd several times that my eyes are on the front of my head, therefore I'm a hunter and logically also a carnivore.I still ended up eating the damned tomatoes.