PDA

View Full Version : My breaks are screwed, please somebody tell me its not the ABS

Spacebot2000
16-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Hi all, I have have a Golf Mk4 1.9 TDI GT V reg, which I have been working on recently and have a massive problem.
To cut a long story short i have had to replace nearly all the braking system to make it safe and reliable as I cart my 6 year old daughter around in it. So new front discs, pads (both sides). New rear discs, pads, callipers (both sides) New calliper carrier on rear near side and two new hand brake cables.
Initially did all the work myself, and found it quite simple, until I got to the bleed. Stupidly I got an 80 year old guy with bad legs to work the pedal while I was on the nipples, it was getting dark and dumb **** me let the fluid reservoir run down too far. well at that point i called it a day.
The following morning i hooked up my Easy bleed pressure bleeding kit and finished the job of OK i thought until i tried the brakes with the engine running, there seems to be a sort of creep in the pedal, brakes work fine but this creep is a MOT fail. So i thought its just some air that i cant get out so i took it to my local garage to get them to bleed it and MOT after. they had a go bleeding with a proper suck through computerised bleed machine and there was no difference. We had a chat and decided i may have screwed the seals in the master cylinder, so i got them to put a new one on, No different after that!!! So they did some more investigation and found the rear of the system to be the problem and they offered to change the callipers at cost price for me, so OK lets get this done and I said OK. But..... still the same!!!
The garage then borrowed the VAG ABS bleed tool from somebody but apparently my car would not talk to it:aargh4:...Help,
So I got my car back, they didn't charge me much and offered me a free MOT when i find out and fix the problem. The system has been bleed so many times now its untrue and im stumped. I could take it to VW but that's a straight £80 charge and they wont tell me any other costs for work (thanks!!). My neighbour said he had a similar problem on a motorcycle once and it was the flexible hoses, so I'm going to change the rear ones next Monday.
Has anybody else had or heard of this sort of problem, its not spongy breaks but like a slow creep when I'm putting force on them, I really hope I haven't screwed the ABS, if I Have does anyone know how much a reconditioned unit is and where to get one?

Doctle Odd
17-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Did you clamp any rubber hoses? They're metal lined inside and the metal wont recover once deformed. You might need to cycle the ABS pump, this needs to be done with VDDS or similar. There's 1 or 2 bleed nipples under the master cylinder that needs bled first.