PDA

View Full Version : Question Intake flap valve actuator failed, how to repair ?

TheMadhatter
16-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I have noticed recently that the car was shaking a bit when the engine was turned off.

A bit of investigation has determined that the intake flap actuator on the side of the EGR is dead. I can suck air through the pipe attached to it and it does not move when the engine is turned off. I have checked N239 solenoid valve is working and it pulls a vacuum through the pipe when the engine is switched off. The flap its self moves easily enough.

Now I would prefer to not have to replace the entire EGR as that is expensive, so is it possible to replace the actuator and what do VW call it / part number.

Any help would be much appreciated.

micheal balbrig
16-04-2015, 01:14 PM
I would try disconnecting the power and keeping in the open position as a trial.

TheMadhatter
16-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I have tried this. Hose connected does not move when engine turned off or when running. Hose off same thing. I stuck a large syringe to the hose with the plunger pulled out, turn off engine plunger is sucked in :-)

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

zollaf
16-04-2015, 02:09 PM
diaphragm failed, fit new valve.

TheMadhatter
16-04-2015, 06:58 PM
So there is no way of replacing just the actuator? Best price I can get on a decent egr is ~ £120 :-(

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

TheMadhatter
18-04-2015, 03:36 PM
It's fixed

Based on the philosophy of it its already broken I can't make it worse I took the actuator off and disassembled it. Inside there is a diaphragm that can be removed and low and behold there was a 2cm long split in it. I cleaned it all up and used some thin rubber strips and glue from a MTB tube repair kit to fix the split. I put a patch on each side. I did not put the edges of the split completely together on the first patch. Then when the patch went on the other side it sticked to the other patch as well as the diaphragm.

It's back on the car and it all works. Word of warning though the plastic is FRAGILE and I had to do a repair on the actuator arm which involved epoxy, epoxy board and fiber glass :biglaugh:

micheal balbrig
18-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Good achievement,but in case rubber gets sucked in to intake,as a result of oil, it is probably best to replace