PDA

View Full Version : new noise from engine when accelerating

custard6060
10-04-2015, 11:42 AM
hi,
I have an audi a3 2.0l tdi Quattro (150ps), done 22,000 miles (63 reg)

it seems to have developed a noise when accelerating, sounds like tappits making a noise, but not sure if it is that (uneducated in engine tech)
not rattling but sort of similar.

oil level is fine.
seems to drive fine
engine has always seemed noisey but I guess that's just down to the 2.0l tdi.. have seen some reviews saying its not quite.

any ideas on what this might be? and should I be concerned (other than its annoying..) I have to say im picky with it comes to rattles or other noises.

thanks in advance

Alan02
10-04-2015, 12:31 PM
If you cant see anything obvious under bonnet, I would be booking it in under warranty at your dealer for them to check.

james_tiger_woo
14-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Is it noisy in any particular gear? Or just under heavy acceleration? Perhaps it's the drivetrain?

What does the dealership say?

Max-Power
15-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Hi OP, did you ever get to the bottom of this? Mine is a bit similar (Quattro 184PS) to what you are describing, although I purchased mine second hand though from the dealership and it's done 20k miles. It does sound a bit like you are describing at low revs. I might go to the dealership and ask them about it, maybe even test drive one of their other 2.0 TDIs as its like my old 185k mile 1.9 TDI passat!

custard6060
17-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Hi OP, did you ever get to the bottom of this? Mine is a bit similar (Quattro 184PS) to what you are describing, although I purchased mine second hand though from the dealership and it's done 20k miles. It does sound a bit like you are describing at low revs. I might go to the dealership and ask them about it, maybe even test drive one of their other 2.0 TDIs as its like my old 185k mile 1.9 TDI passat!

I did.. annoyingly the noise disappeared on the morning I took it to the dealership so couldn't reproduce it to them! but they did do a software update for something that matched the symtoms (I presume they weren't fobbing me off) don't know if its my imagination but I do think fuel economy is better after this too!

hope you got yours sorted..

Max-Power
17-06-2015, 04:53 PM
I hear it every so often so not all the time, although my wife thinks its noisy generally anyway compared to my old Passat 1.9 TDI PD (2001). This software update does sound promising, so I might venture into a dealership this weekend and see what they say. Thanks :)

james_tiger_woo
26-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Any joy/update on this at all?

Max-Power
29-06-2015, 09:25 AM
I've not ventured down to a dealership yet, although I've noticed my noise is from a cold start now only which is what I'd expect from a diesel. I will venture down to see what they say though when I get time to go down (new job has meant not as much time to pop over just yet!).

I am very interested in the software update though still... if it gives me better economy I'd be happy!