PDA

View Full Version : Eos Diesel

louisg
27-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Has anyone drove one yet and if so how does it compare to petrol version.

Louis

Trikster
31-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Haven't driven the EOS version yet, but having swapped my Golf 2.0 GT TDi (same engine as in the EOS Diesel) for the 2.0FSi-T Eos I feel I can give some insight.

For a diesel the 2.0TDi is a belter, OK you know it's a diesel from the noise at start up, and I expect with the roof down at low speed (at high speeds you really don't notice it) this is something you'd really have to consider, but the torque is great. Compared with other diesels I've driven it also is across a reasonable rev range too. But stepping into the 2.0FSi-T is like chalk and cheese. I think 'refinement' is the key word here - not just the noise levels but the smoothness of the engine - and the torque, whilst a little less, is across almost the whole rev range. At first it doesn't seem as quick as the TDi as you don't get the instant rush but overall I'd pick the petrol if the miles aren't an issue - but if you are doing a lot of miles I don't think you'll be disappointed with the diesel.

Put it this way.. I'm lucky to have owned a lot of very nice vehicles, but when you get a Porsche etc. you expect it to be brilliant and they are. But the GT-TDi was probably the car that beat my expectations but the greatest margin.

Don't know whether this helps, or is just a lot of waffle :D

hula-hoops
06-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I saw a diesel EOS at Sidlow Horsham today available for test driving if you are anywhere local. (In a nice colour - leonie blue too).

jbellroberts
09-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Here is my week old EOS 2.0 TDI
http://static.flickr.com/77/210789215_40a91252e1_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/95/210789216_b23406d1f5_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/79/210789217_2855068d71_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/65/210789218_c7753f1326_o.jpg
Rgds Jules

VWMania
14-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Its a rare one but i have an Eos TDI in the showroom !!!!
Eos 2.0 Tdi 140bhp in silver.
The jetta Tdi will drive the same as the Eos Tdi.
If you need a price then let me know.

louisg
14-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Get some pics online please. I would like a price.

Louis

charles West
14-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I tried a petrol, nippy and nice, and bought a diesel.
For me, the diesel is fine, plenty of pull if you want it, though of course not the same responsiveness as a petrol. The out and out acceleration is fine if you need it, and by limiting my cruising speed (for the time being) I have got to 50.7 m.p.g on the overall reading. (For a single journey, if I go easy I can get 60!)
C.W.

davidp
14-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I tried a petrol, nippy and nice, and bought a diesel.
For me, the diesel is fine, plenty of pull if you want it, though of course not the same responsiveness as a petrol. The out and out acceleration is fine if you need it, and by limiting my cruising speed (for the time being) I have got to 50.7 m.p.g on the overall reading. (For a single journey, if I go easy I can get 60!)
C.W.
Thats good to know Charles as I am after a diesel myself, want a few factory options so looks like january now for delivery. Its 200 kilo heavier than the golf and I notice the same 140bhp engine is a second slower on the 0 to 60.
Did you get an discount as the dealers up here in the NW are pretty tight on discounts?
Cheers

charles West
14-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Nothing doing I am afraid - I am hoping for some floor mats!

Caddy Van Man
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
We had a Golf mk5 GT TDI before our EOS and it was noisey in that, so we drove both the petrol and diesel versions before buying.

We ended up the 2.0 T petrol engine as we prefered the engine noise and we don't do many miles at all in the missus car hence the fuel comsumption was not an issue.

My advice is to drive both and then decide with the roof down aswell as up!

Cracking car though!

RickT
03-01-2007, 01:19 AM
this is the same type of conversition a had with a lad i work with... looking at a Audi A4 Cab- he could not decided between the 160 1.8T and the 2.0TDI 140 BHP... theres only 0.5 in the 0-60 however the MPG is much greater on the TDI...

Then he went for a 2.0T FSI 195BHP... shows how much he listened to the dealer...

RicKT

Gadgeteer1066
14-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi,
This is my first post, although I have lurked in various forums since the Eos was announced.

I have just done the deal on a TDi Sport DSG in silver essence with Nappa red leather. I have to say I was very impressed with the cars performance and handling. I also own a Golf GT TDi DSG and performance/handling was broadly comparable. What really impressed me was the low level of engine noise with the roof down and the lack of any obvious diesel cloud under heavy acceleration (compared to the Golf).

It was a nice sunny, but brisk day today and the heated seats were very welcome!

Delivery is on the 21/1/07 (having a private plate transferred).

Can't wait :biglaugh:

blahde
14-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey everyone
You might be right with the noise issue, but the Diesel does get alot quieter at speed. Im on my 3rd Golf GT TDi, 2 x 140's, & my current one a 170bhp. I am thrilled to bits with it.

I dont think 0 - 60 times matter much, I mean how many times do you try that? I love the diesel because of its pull. Any gear, & as long as the Turbo is spinning, it'll get you there quickly with a nice squeeze of the kidneys!
The 2.0 Fsi T is a great engine, I test drove a GTi before I decided on the 170bhp GT. Its responds quicker, & is quieter, but I'd still go with the Diesel. MPG & Torque, for relaxed driving, thats what I'd pick.

On the other hand, if your milage is going to be very low (unlike mine) maybe the Petrol would be better, purely for the refinement.

Dont buy from Sidlow though. Thats where my last Golf came from. I dont think it was pre Delivery inspected properly, if at all. The steering wheel wasnt straight, the lights pointed about 5m infront of the bonnet, & the windscreen washers washed the underside of the bonnet, & not the windscreen. Plus, it was delivered new with 52miles on the clock! I think they used it as a Demonstrator once or twice maybe!

Let us know what you decide. I recomend a test drive of both if you can.

Caddy Van Man
15-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi,
This is my first post, although I have lurked in various forums since the Eos was announced.

I have just done the deal on a TDi Sport DSG in silver essence with Nappa red leather. I have to say I was very impressed with the cars performance and handling. I also own a Golf GT TDi DSG and performance/handling was broadly comparable. What really impressed me was the low level of engine noise with the roof down and the lack of any obvious diesel cloud under heavy acceleration (compared to the Golf).

It was a nice sunny, but brisk day today and the heated seats were very welcome!

Delivery is on the 21/1/07 (having a private plate transferred).

Can't wait :biglaugh:

Good luck with the car and welcome!

Gadgeteer1066
21-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi,

I have had my 2.0 tdi with DSG for a month and 700 miles now. I really do like the torque of the diesel engine which I think works really well with the DSG. I have been carefully running it in and taking it easy. Most of my journeys have been rush hour commutes, but I find I get around 30mpg in a morning and 40mpg on the way home. This compares to about 22mpg from my previous Merc C180 Coupe auto, so I am well pleased. I am sure it will return well into the 50's as our Golf 2.0 Gt tdi DSG does on a longer run.

The particulate filter works well. There is never a hint of a diesel blast out the back under acceleration and the engine noise is fine. Perhaps a little noisy first thing when cold, but not after it has warmed up, even with the roof down.

My current two cars are my first diesels and I am now a total convert, at least to this engine and gearbox combination.

Phil_n_debs
21-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Had our diesel since July (one of the first in the country apparently)
Totally love it!! The noise is not really a problem, sure there are times when you know it's a diesel, but the mpg makes up for that. It's plenty quick enough, will keep up with most cars on the motorway.

Done over 9000 miles now so first service is due shortly. Better to go on to long life service schedule I think now that the miles are clocking up.

Gadgeteer1066
21-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Had our diesel since July (one of the first in the country apparently)
Totally love it!! The noise is not really a problem, sure there are times when you know it's a diesel, but the mpg makes up for that. It's plenty quick enough, will keep up with most cars on the motorway.

Done over 9000 miles now so first service is due shortly. Better to go on to long life service schedule I think now that the miles are clocking up.

I have been discussing that elsewhere. I wanted my car set up on the annual because I only do around 8,000 whereas my wife's Golf 2.0 GT TDi has a daily commute of 100 miles and is on the long life. When I picked it up it had the documentation for long life and it seems the only difference might be in the oil in the car. Okay if you have long life oil and take up the annual... not so if you go the other way!

neh321
22-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I have been discussing that elsewhere. I wanted my car set up on the annual because I only do around 8,000 whereas my wife's Golf 2.0 GT TDi has a daily commute of 100 miles and is on the long life. When I picked it up it had the documentation for long life and it seems the only difference might be in the oil in the car. Okay if you have long life oil and take up the annual... not so if you go the other way!

Maybe it's different for diesels but when I asked about this choice of service intervals my dealer said there would be a sign on the dash when a service is needed, so no decisions to take... So far have done just over 10000 miles and nothing has appeared yet. Dealer says it should need a service somewhere between 13/16000 miles.

Phil_n_debs
22-02-2007, 05:53 PM
As far as I know the first service for the diesel is due at 10,000 miles. You then have the option to set the car to longlife service (every 20,000 or so) or annual service. This is what I was told when we picked up the car, which seems to make sense as my old Audi A4 1.9 TDi was on long life service and only needed a bit of TLC every 18 to 20K (depending on how the miles were clocked up).

The car is telling us 'service due in 800 miles' at the moment.

Cheers :beerchug:

Gadgeteer1066
22-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Had a very disappointing meeting with the dealer/service dept. Didn't fill me with any confidence and left me feeling as though they had taken my money and it was a 'what are you still doing here???' moment.

Any way, believe this, or believe it not (It didn't particularly inspire me to believe it) the dealer said that all the cars come with long life oil and that they can immediately go on to either regime. They were pushing to 'sell' the time & distance regime as it clearly brings in extra money. This was even to the extent of hinting that VW are going to drop flexible servicing.

In any case, I only do around 8,000 miles pa and a lot of that is stop/startmileage in my Eos and so, I actually do want the time/distance regime. My wife's Golf does 100 miles per day and so flexible servicing is right for her. With the flexible servicing a gong will sound and a flashing spanner will come up. Then the display will say 'Service.... NOW!' (Okay slightly dramatised there).

To check when the car is due in, you can do the following:

Ignition on, engine off (it also says in the handbook 'vehicle stationary', as if you are going to go around coasting while doing this!)
Then press the 0.0 trip counter button for more than 2 secs. If you get a minus sign, then thats showing how many miles late you are.

Incidentally, the regime is as follows:

time/distance regime - 1 year or 10,000 miles - oil change (nothing else)

time/distance regime @ 2 years or 20,000 or on flexible regime when indicated - interval Service

time/distance regime @ 4 years or 40,000 or when indicated on flexible regime - interval service inspection.

So, the only difference is an annual oil change on the time/distance, no extra TLC or extra checks, at least not according to the service book.

willataylor
01-03-2007, 10:18 PM
FYI I have had mine for 6 weeks and its pretty fast compared to other diesels I have driven. Fuel economy good on a longish run as well between 44 and 48.

netherfield
20-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Am I the only one slightly dissapointed with the diesel,we had a 1.9 '130' Bora previous to the Eos,so I expected the Eos to perform much the same,but it doesn't have the low revs grunt that the Bora had,so either VW have changed the gearing, or the turbo doesn't come in until the revs are higher.

davidp
20-03-2007, 09:31 AM
All the EOS engines will feel a bit slower compared to the Golf/Bora as you are carrying round an extra 200kg of roof and electrical gumbins. Once you're moving though shouldnt be an issue.

If you find it a real problem you can always do what the Seat gang do and get your VAG diesel remapped to 180bhp, have a look at the http://www.seatcupra.net forums for more info. Something to bear in mind for the future. :Blush:

Cheers, David

neh321
20-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Am I the only one slightly dissapointed with the diesel,we had a 1.9 '130' Bora previous to the Eos,so I expected the Eos to perform much the same,but it doesn't have the low revs grunt that the Bora had,so either VW have changed the gearing, or the turbo doesn't come in until the revs are higher.

DavidP is right - the extra weight does take the edge of the performance a little.

However, according to other posts these diesels need a few miles (like about 10K) on their odos before they start to deliver optimum performance.

netherfield
20-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I've had above 200kg in the boot of the Bora and hardly noticed it was there,and it pulled like that from delivery mileage.

davidp
20-03-2007, 09:25 PM
I've had above 200kg in the boot of the Bora and hardly noticed it was there,and it pulled like that from delivery mileage.
Well the 140bhp TDI golf is around a second faster on 0-60 compared to the Eos so there must be some reason why, can only assume its the extra weight in the Eos.

I wonder why VW didnt put the 170bhp TDI engine in the Eos, with four petrol engines and only one diesel optio maybe they wern't expecting the diesel to be popular. Seems odd as I suspect half the Eos bought in the UK are diesels.

RickT
21-03-2007, 12:43 AM
i would guess like always... the 140BHP will be put in to test the water and then if a success.. the 170 will be rolled out 6 months later...

RicKT

Gadgeteer1066
21-03-2007, 11:32 PM
I have both a Golf and an Eos with the 2.0 diesel and both with DSG.

The Golf feels lighter and nippier than the Eos. Although the Eos still has less than 2,000 miles on the clock and so might get a little better, I don't expect it to be as nimble as the Golf.

That said, I have noticed that the Golf has a bit of a lag when setting off, particularly noticeable at roundabouts. I believe this is quite common with Golf DSG's. The Eos has none of it and is responsive and immediate from the start.

I think the Eos is more a cruiser than a racer and has adequate performance, but not outstanding. If you want more, I see that ABT have not only brought out a bodystyling kit, they have also brought out a number of mods, including one that ups the output from the diesel. Sadly, I think at the moment the DSG is excluded.

MasonJennifer
06-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Dont be like me kids