PDA

View Full Version : Does resetting service indicator set service regime to fixed?

golfgtdude
30-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Hello,
As the title suggests does 'resetting' the service regime indicator switch the car to fixed service intervals?
Looking on the VAG COM website it may appear this is the case (depends how you read it I guess):

Auxiliary work with Long Life service:
Resetting the value in channel 2 will automatically reset fixed service intervals (15000/30000/12 months)
If conventional engine oil was used, then this is all that needs to be done.
If Long Life oil is used, then adaptation must be done the vehicle according to following table with respect to the oil quality:
I'm just thinking this has happened as my car has just been serviced and the car now thinks it's in fixed service mode but the ticks in the book indicate longlife.
The dealer is a numpty.
Comments appreciated.

mluton
30-09-2007, 11:46 PM
If dash Reset then yes it will be fixed.

You can check the service type using a VAGCOM if you know anyone with one.

What makes you think its now set to FIXED SERVICE ??????????

If its only just been done then you can still have it reset to Variable, minus the days from the service.

golfgtdude
01-10-2007, 10:28 AM
well, when I got home from the service on Saturday and checked the service indicator it said 9300miles till the next service where normally it has '---miles' indicated.

I've not used the VAGCOM utilities to change the oil quality from a '1' to a '2' which has changed it to what i expect.

The service book was stamped to indicate that Longlife oil was used. suspect the dude who serviced the car was only aware of one way to suppress the service warning indicator.

mluton
01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
What car is it ?

mluton
01-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh! 9300 miles is also the minimum milage for a variable service car.

Does this drop with milage or stop as it is ?

golfgtdude
01-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh! 9300 miles is also the minimum milage for a variable service car.

Does this drop with milage or stop as it is ?

Didn't drive it long enough to see if the figure changed.

The car is a Golf GT TDi.

mluton
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
MK4 or MK5 ?

golfgtdude
01-10-2007, 01:54 PM
MK4 or MK5 ?

Mk5

mluton
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Mk5

When it tells you the milage left till service, does it tell you the days left till service ? It does take a while for the ECU to calculate the milage and days till next service. So it could be showing the minimum 9300 till it has the data to show true figures.

Im a skoda guy, but the mk2 octavia is the same as the mk5 Golf.

This might be of help:
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/yet-another-variable-service-question/73956/

golfgtdude
01-10-2007, 02:17 PM
When it tells you the milage left till service, does it tell you the days left till service ? It does take a while for the ECU to calculate the milage and days till next service. So it could be showing the minimum 9300 till it has the data to show true figures.

Im a skoda guy, but the mk2 octavia is the same as the mk5 Golf.

This might be of help:
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/yet-another-variable-service-question/73956/

good question - at the moment it just says '----miles till next service'. I remember it was like this when I purchased the car from new for a few hundred miles and then it sorted itself out.

RE: the days countdown, I only ever saw this when I was within 1000miles of the last service. I'm not seeing it at the moment.

Don't forget I've used VAGCOM to change the oil quality value so it thinks its on longlife now (which is the oil I told them to put in it).

mluton
01-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Was the oil on the invoice about £50, if so then i would say longlife service. If £20 - £30, i would say normal oil.

Have another read through this, something i tried to help someone with. There is more to setting the value to 2 for variable.

If you look at the channels via VAGCOM it might shed more light on the matter. (If they are the same as the mk4 golf)
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia/service-interval-change/83884/

golfgtdude
01-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Was the oil on the invoice about £50, if so then i would say longlife service. If £20 - £30, i would say normal oil.

Have another read through this, something i tried to help someone with. There is more to setting the value to 2 for variable.

If you look at the channels via VAGCOM it might shed more light on the matter. (If they are the same as the mk4 golf)
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia/service-interval-change/83884/

Hi, just popped into the dealer to collect a copy of the invoice (they never gave me one after the service!). It says a longlife service has been carried out. The oil cost was £40. Bearing in mind they have not declared VAT because the service was actually a good will gesture due to some issues they caused me when I bought the car. The service receptionist said it would have been setup for longlife mode but hey, I've come to learn those guys actually know jack (no offence to them).

Golden Girl
01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
After having a variable service and even after resetting the service indicator. The computer will need time to get used to your style of driving again it is not unusual for the mileage show 9000 or something like that after servicing. Keep checking it. It will start to creep up before starting its countdown to next service. I'm sure other people out there will confirm this is correct.