PDA

View Full Version : Question Opinions on Starter Motors Polo 6n

Exinferis
04-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Hi all,

I wondered if I could garner some opinions from you good folks, re a replacement starter motor for my Polo?

I bought an RTX motor from ECP in October 2009 to replace the stock one which died on me. This motor failed on me yesterday miles from home! Do you think it's reasonable that this motor failed after this amount of time? Is this about the life of a budget motor? ECP have the same model and, as I'm not exactly flush with cash being as the flippin' insurance is due on the 7th, is it worth getting another RTX unit or investing in a more expensive one?

If the concensus is that RTX are junk (which is what I've read), what would you recommend as a decent replacement?

I'm sorry if there's already a wealth of threads about this topic, but I really wanted an honest answer to how long motors should last.

Thanks in advance. :)

Ex.

Doctle Odd
05-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Usually it's the starter brushes that go. If you're used to the spanner a new set of brushes costs about a tenner and takes an hour to change

zollaf
05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
agree with the doc. however, if you just want to fit a new motor, then a genuin one from a dealer is the way to go, but you already know they are a lot more money. so, you are left with a rebuilt one and really, they are all pretty much the same. 6 years is as a good time for one to last though, so i really don't know what you are worrying about. if you can find and fit some brushes, do that or take it to someone to do, or buy another, your call.

Doctle Odd
05-04-2015, 01:05 PM
A lot of the refurb starters are little more than new brushed and maybe a bush and some chassis black paint. Six years is good for such a hard working part, GENUINE BOSCH STARTER MOTOR BRUSH GEAR VW PEUGEOT VAUXHALL FORD AUDI OPEL 333291 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BOSCH-STARTER-MOTOR-BRUSH-GEAR-VW-PEUGEOT-VAUXHALL-FORD-AUDI-OPEL-333291-/181170665614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a2e9cf88e)

Exinferis
06-04-2015, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not worried about anything, just wondered what the life-span of the RTX unit usually is as my Google search basically came up with "piece of crap, stay away!" As I've had a few cars in the past and never once had to change a starter it seems a short period of time in which to have replaced one twice, that's all. :)

I also don't go out that often so it's not had as much use as, say, a commuter car would. I saw some posts on other forums saying a starter had lasted 100K+ or that people had last changed on 15 years ago, so considering I hardly use the car 5 1/2 years seems a bit short. So, like I say, not worried, just... interested. ;)

As for changing it myself, I would be up for it, but it's in a really awkward place; it's at the back and underneath. Even the AA man with his impossibly long arms couldn't get his multimeter down there! Last time I had it go I bought the unit from ECP and had a local garage fit as it was too difficult to get to without getting underneath the car.

Doctle Odd, the brush gear you linked to is for a Bosch motor, the one I have is RTX, would that still fit? I'm tempted to buy one and ask the garage that did my MOT last year if they'd be willing to re-con the unit for me.

Thanks again for your replies!

Doctle Odd
06-04-2015, 07:38 AM
I have no idea if the brushbox would fit your starter, unless you do the job yourself it's not really viable to pay a garage 2 + hours labour to change a cheap part.

Exinferis
06-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Fair enough. I had a search 'round last night for a guide to replacing the starter but couldn't find one specific to my car (why does the Haynes manual miss out the '99?!), do you know of a guide, preferably with some pictures, that I could use?

Doctle Odd
06-04-2015, 04:44 PM
What's your engine code? I can send you a haynes manual for a Seat Cordoba (same car) but as I recall you can remove the starter from the top, you need to remove the air filter box first

Exinferis
06-04-2015, 06:37 PM
PM'd you. :)

Exinferis
10-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Just to say thanks to Doctle Odd for all his help. :)