PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a cd player

Rowsi
29-03-2015, 05:51 PM
My car came with an old fashioned cassette player. I like the OEM player though, so can I fit a CD player for it as it seems to have CD compatibility and if so is it a CD changer in the boot or a one CD player in the empty slot above it.
Cheers

herby0001
29-03-2015, 09:39 PM
You can have either the changer or single slot. They both plug in to the back of the head unit in the same way. I would however thoroughly recommend going for an MP3/iPhone input into your head unit. I have the XCarlink (http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=2)one for my Golf. Dead easy to install, just plugs into the CD input and allows an existing CD unit to piggy back onto the connection, so you don't lose the CD if you already have one. I use the 3.5mm jack input all the time. Great audio quality. CD's are a bit old hat now and MP3's don't jump.

Rowsi
30-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Not a bad idea, quite expensive though, for what it is. Might go for it.

herby0001
02-04-2015, 10:00 AM
At £78, I wouldn't say it was expensive. Once you've paid out for a single or multi changer unit, got fed up with skipping discs (not to mention having to change discs whenever you want different music), you'll see the XCarLink unit makes heaps of sense. I have the 3.5mm jack coming out of the cubby above the radio - it's an easily accessible place to keep your MP3 player. Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.
:beerchug:

Rowsi
02-04-2015, 11:09 AM
You could be right, found a single CD player OEM for 50€ but I am swaying towards your solution.
So, it plugs straight in (plug and play)?
Where did you put the physical box?
And, you ran the 3.5MM plug cable into the empty cubby hole?

Does sound rather convenient.

herby0001
03-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Yes, it's plug and play, straight into the CD connection. Press the CD button on your Beta or Gamma headunit and play your tunes/podcasts/whatever - that's it.
There is loads of space behind the centre console to hide it away. Use zip ties etc to secure wires and box. Nobody looks down there, so just make sure the cables are kept away from feet. Feed the cable(s) into the glovebox (there is a hole in the back of it already, no need to remove glovebox at all) or drill a hole in the cubby (take it out first) and feed one or both cables through. It is actually dead easy.