PDA

View Full Version : Passed MOT but....

theskyfox
27-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Just put my 3.0TDi in for MOT. Passed with no major issues, but got an advisory:
-Nearside front shock absorber has a light misting of oil [2.7.3]
-Nearside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil [2.7.3]
-Offside rear shock absorber has a light misting of oil [2.7.3]

The dealer seemed unconcerned, and said sometimes even new cars have that, but they "have to mention it".
He said not to worry about it.
Naturally I'm a little concerned about having to potentially replace all my shock absorbers, is this something
common with A4s?

The car has done 42,000 miles and is 4 years old.

Additionally I took out MOT protection last year (and this year) which incidentally covers these parts, so
in theory at least if any work needs doing they should be coughing up the first £750 of it....

-Andrew

zollaf
27-03-2015, 05:39 PM
give them a wipe down to remove the misting, then monitor them . it might be leaking, it might just be muck that makes them look like they might have a slight leak, who knows, certainly the mot tester couldn't be certain, thats why he advised them.

alexa4avant
28-03-2015, 03:16 AM
Use a bit of wd40 or castrols version and a rag like Zollaf said and monitor them my car is 15 years old and I think they are still the originals as was the whole exhaust until recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markp306
28-03-2015, 07:31 AM
My a4 n/s/r shock failed the mot at 42k and 5 years. They are changed in pairs and audi relieved me of £400+ at the time, so you are all but covered for all 4 with your mot protection.

Also surprisingly, I'd had new discs and pads at 3 years and after a number of other faults I concluded that the car was not going to be "long term" and traded it. The shock was the last straw!

No idea what caused the shock to do that. The car didn't have a hard life. Not good though!