PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Vas pc?

VWRobtec
22-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Hi, I have recently purchased from EBay, a second hand Pansonic Toughbook CF-53. It came with VAS PC loaded and what looks to be a Bluetooth OBD reader. The seller said it was purchased for diagnostic work which never came, hence the sale. On the bottom of the laptop is a Volkswagen device number Nr 120558. I believe that it is a genuine product but know little about it.
I did not buy it for this purpose but have a 2010 Tiguan Rline (wife's car) and a 2012 Vw Transporter Sportline. I have a factory Bluetooth to be installed in the Tiguan and a MFSW to go in to the Transporter. I have been installing mobile electronics to vehicles for some 30 years but have not been involved with diagnostics before.
Im thinking that I may be able to use the PC to diagnose both my vehicles and maybe generate some work in this area, and need advice on the best way to learn more about it.
can anyone help?

neilos100
22-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Sure it's not been stolen from VW?

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

VWRobtec
22-03-2015, 12:45 PM
No, not really. The guy had two for sale and seemed quite genuine. How can I tell if it is genuine/legit?

Doctle Odd
22-03-2015, 01:07 PM
The price should give some indication and/or checking for updates

VWRobtec
22-03-2015, 02:49 PM
I paid £680 for the Toughbook. What do you mean by updates. I brought a new caddy and HDD and loaded win7. I still have the HDD and caddy with VAS PC and WIN XP loaded. When I run it, it does ask for a disc, but then it seems to run ok. I haven't tried to use it though.

VWRobtec
22-03-2015, 07:07 PM
I've just tried it connected to my sportline and it seemed to work. I looked at the eBay listing and I brought it from a shop in Dorset. I'm sure it's legit but need to know more about how to use it. What's the best way to get some training?

Flash2
24-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Sure it's not been stolen from VW?

If it came from a dealer it would more than likely have ODIS on it rather than VAS-PC. VAS-PC was dropped and hasn't been supported by VW for a couple of years now.

VWRobtec
24-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Are you saying that it is no use? Will I be able to recode both my VWs with it?

Flash2
24-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Are you saying that it is no use?

No, I'm sure it will work fine for recoding via self diagnosis.

Jim.

Doctle Odd
24-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Pity you didn't ask on here first. You'd have got VCDS for about a third of the price. It's dealer level with free updates forever. Plenty of Info, videos and how to's floating around. Gupsterg can actually make a car dismantle itself via the OBD port.

VWRobtec
24-03-2015, 11:52 PM
I didn't buy it for that reason, I needed a Toughbook and by chance it came loaded with vas PC. I have since replaced the HDD but I still have the original and the OBD reader. If it's no use then it's no big deal, but if I can use it that would be great. Is it difficult to use? Is there an idiots guide? I use computers every day, how hard can it be?

Doctle Odd
25-03-2015, 12:08 AM
I've never had an opportunity to try it mate, dealers are always a bit sniffy if you even approach the workshop door and they certainly don't allow you to try things out. I can't imagine it's difficult to use I'm met a few Audi master techs.....

Cavanmick
25-03-2015, 12:11 AM
No its not particularly difficult to use the dealer set up, for general diagnostics it's intuitive enough, obviously the more you get into it the harder it gets but for coding keys and immobilisers etc it's handy enough.

JMR1
24-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Hi Doctle,
Is the VCDS suitable for all VAG engines petrol and diesel, and forward looking as well to + 2015 models? Is it specific to VAG engines only?
Thanks Jim

Doctle Odd
24-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Hi Jim, Yes! If you buy a genuine VCDS cable the software is regularly updated automatically to the latest version, this is usually done when you click on the icon and are connected to the internet. It can do basic OBD scans on most cars but it's for VAG cars. Contact a member near you off this map, they'll be happy to show you a few tricks and tips. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?dg=feature&msa=0&mid=zwQHurSsCMz8.kMTwqF0PoXwc

therevrendjr
26-04-2015, 08:51 PM
You tend to find that vcds is an idiot proof version of vas pc, which are both very good programs. VAS PC has now been superseded by ODIS but it is not uncommon to ave them both running on the same laptop running through Diagstarter.bat
It consists of:
Vehicle self diagnosis (basic fault code reading, erasing, love data and actuations)
Test instruments (on the appropriate testing unit)
Guided fault finding (step by step based fault finding program)
Guided functions (step by step program for making alterations to different control modules)
Flash programming (used to update control modules offline with the appropriate flash discs)

The only thing it cant do it immobiliser work or component protection without a GeKo license so adding keys, dash pods and ecus swaps or sound system component swaps are out the window.

The long coding helper on VCDS is far better and faster than how VAS PC works but you eventually achieve the same result.