PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Toledo 2.3 V5 any advice?

sdds_8
30-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Hello, I'm new to the foum and wanted a little advice.

I'm thinking about getting a Toledo 2.3 V5 around 2000-2001 model. My budget is around £3000-£4000.

I've been thinking about a Golf, Bora, Passat, Skoda Octavia or the Toledo. Of all the Toledo V5 seems to be the best value for money.

I see the Toledo came with either the 150hp or 170hp engine. Is there a way I can work out if the car has the 150 or 170hp engine? Also when looking is there anything I should look out for?

Final question: How does the V5 compare with the 1.8T? It remaps higher but other than that is it much different to drive?

Thanks for any advice!
Bradley

Seat til I die
11-10-2007, 01:36 PM
my advice is to buy one.

i owned a blue 'w' reg V5 and it is probably the best value for money car i will ever own as long as i live.
mine was a 150bhp but if u get one with the factory satnav then it will be the 170bhp version, other than that just find out which engine number is which and check the logbook (thats how i found out, thanks VAG forum!!)

loads better than a problematic bora, cheaper than a golf... octavia good car to, not much in it really, my dad owns a 51reg 4x4 turbo octavia and it may just be margianally better car than my toledo was but didnt have half the spec the toledo v5 does as standard so horses for courses really.

as for the 2.3 engine remapping higher, well this just isnt true, a 1.8T will always see bigger gains from a remap... which is why i never had my toledo done.

2.3 V5 150; 162bhp
2.3 V5 170; 182bhp

1.8T 150; 187bhp
1.8T 180; 218bhp

So if power gains is what you want then consider an Octavia, but the Toledo is a much more impressive motorway cruiser... as a daily driver theres really not much in it, mpg is slightly better in the Octavia 150bhp thats all I can really think that seperates them, 2 really GREAT cars.

Chiptech
15-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I would agree too. I've one on a 51 plate, its done 25k and ive had it for 2yrs and paid 8K, but it was spotless. I've had a few engine management faults come up, one was a faulty ignition coil which was a known problem and was replaced FOC, i then had another fault appear which appears to be fixed now, mass air flow sensor, it proved tough to fix as everything pointed to the oxygen sensor and this all happened around the time of the tescos petrol fiasco.

Mine came with factory sat nav which would benefit from a software upgrade, around £125 for a new CD i think.

Quite pokey and very smooth to drive, cant really think of anything major to say against it, would i buy another one, yes but only if i got another clean example.

Hope this helps.

Seat til I die
15-10-2007, 11:56 PM
yes, had the air flow sensor problem, lose nearly all your power but car drives as normal (it is was a 1.4 :D)
that was the SINGLE ONLY PROBLEM i ever had in 2 yrs, not one other thing of note (hazard warning triangle needed repacing too, £15) that car was amazing!
not a single major problem and never had to spend anything getting it through mot, quality.

lu and phil
18-10-2007, 01:12 AM
I absolutely love mine, I've only ever driven sheds before this one. I've got a 51 plate with all the boys toys, I love it and I'm a gurl! You move into a different league among drivers and get some respect when you pull into the fast lane which makes a difference and you can actually pull away too. I especially like it when the little orange warning light flashes up (!!)

Its dead comfy on long journeys and shines up bootiful with a good wash and wax. I'm really chuffed with mine him indoors has to sneak the key when I'm not looking and for my family the big bonus is the 510 litre boot, the Volvo estate was the only other to come close with a poxy 480 litres.

Oh and BTW Chiptech - have you checked the winterweb for sat nav updates? I haven't gotten round to it yet, but him indoors reckons it must be available that way so if I find anything I'll post some details here...

(although I do find it mildly amusing to confuse Ms Sat Nav by going through new housing estates)