PDA

View Full Version : Diff/gearbox oil & methods

aks1989
19-03-2015, 07:25 PM
I've been searching for information on changing gearbox& diff oils. (1.9TDI PD 130 4motion)

I Believe 75w90 was reccomended, some people use 80w90.

Someone mentioned gearbox oil filter

anyone know if this is true, dont get me wrong, on the tractors we had 4/5 filters for oils, hydraulic fluids etc, but I have never heard of one for the gearbox or for the diff on a car at least.

If there is one, where is it, how do I get at it, and *** do I buy another one from because I have never seen one for sale under service parts for my car haha.

Also,
went into halford's the other day, saw the bargain table and emptied it of course,
among my 10p bargains was 5 bottles of this

And yes I did get them for 10p each, not £5 hahahahahahaha!

should be ok for my car right?

Another question in response to something I read somewhere, someone said that manual cars share oil between gearbox and diff, this sounds.... far fetched with gearbox and diff in a 4motion and about 5ft between them,
but looking at the boost pipes in my engine bay, they obviously weren't thinking logically when they did the layout, so anything is possible.

Any advice on the above, and any "helpful tips" would be most appreciated :D
ta
Al

Gary03
21-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Wrong oil.
You need a GL5 oil and 75-80.
It also needs to be synthetic, you have there a mineral based gear oil, thats why it was cheap. put that in and you'll have one hell of a time making the syncro's work properly to change gear without crunching, especially when its cold!
You'l also lose about 10mpg due to the drag of that stuff.
The correct fully synthetic 75w-80 you need is about £7 to £8 a litre.
And yes, most cars now share diff oil with gearbox oil, especially front wheel drive like the Passat.

kite
21-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Your rear diff is Haldex, oil should be changed every 20K I believe.

aks1989
23-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Hi Guy's thanks for that.
a couple more questions though ;)

"The correct fully synthetic 75w-80 you need is about £7 to £8 a litre." could you send me a link, I haven't found any at that price
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Oils-Fluids-Lubricants-/179487/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_nkw=G052911A2
other stuff tends to be around the £12 a Litre mark.

Also, I get that the front diff might share the fluid I am assuming the rear diff on my 4MOTION then doesn't?

I had this with my father in law the other week too, I had never heard of a haldex before that, looked it up, and I THINK that this age A3's, TT's and probably Golf's used a Haldex (brand name diff really and that it was due to have the transverse mounted engine?) but the passat's, A6's etc utilized a more "traditional Diff" in this case a Torsen T-2 (split power front to rear and not side to side)

I am not claiming to know a thing as gospel this is just what I have read.
Don't like dealers either, they when requested for information said "the bottles do not have the spec on them so we cannot divulge the diff oil spec, the unit is sealed for life therefore will not need replacing unless it has been opened for repair etc etc"

However I feel both the diff and the gearbox would do with some fresh fluid after 106k

UKpassats.co.uk • View topic - gearbox/diff (http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=81762)

Gary03
23-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Your rear diff will indeed be a separate oil from everything else and as Kite pointed out, its a Haldex oil.
Fill in this form- Opie Oils - car oil and motorbike oil sales and recommendations (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/frmRecommendAnOil.aspx) and those guys will advise on which and how much you need.

aks1989
23-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Thank's again guy's
I hope you don;t think that I'm "Cross Examining" you or your advice, I just find that the internet throws so many different answers for the same specifically worded question that you've got to combine everything to come up with the "whole picture" so to speak - like with the Haldex - what is the difference then?

Gary03
23-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Haldex is the name of the company who developed the 'diff' although its not a diff in the pinion and crown wheel sense, it consists of a motor, pump assembly and a set of friction plates like a wet type motorbike clutch, that's why the oil is entirely different!
There's a computer model of it working on youtube somewhere I seem to remember.
The oil is expensive- HALDEX OIL - 275ML 525VG0020 (http://www.gsfcarparts.com/525vg0020)

zollaf
23-03-2015, 08:25 PM
a haldex has 2 oils. a bit in the actual diff that you drain and refil, then 300ml of special oil in the actual haldex coupling. the filter also needs changing. there is no filler for the special oil, just a drain. you fill it back up through the drain using a gun.

aks1989
23-03-2015, 09:40 PM
thanks guy's I've sent a message through to Opie :)

aks1989
01-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Millers Oils TRX Synth 75w80 GL5 Fully Synthetic Transmission Oil - 5L | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils-TRX-Synth-75w80-GL5-Fully-Synthetic-Transmission-Oil-5L-/161523134971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259b8771fb)

ok still unsure on the Haldex, Opie say it's a Torsen T-2 so I've got 5L of that stuff ^^ and I'm going to see if I break my car or not.
Wiki shows it as a torsen and Haldex coming in with the B6 Opie tend to agree *fingers crossed and prays*